Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Written Examiner payment 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 MuireannNiSh

cestmoi2 wrote: »
    Any JC correctors get paid yet?

Got paid on Friday, about a week earlier than I was expecting! My subject was JC OL Spanish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 cestmoi2

Rang today and was told they couldn't give me a rough estimate. The wait continues so

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

Got paid today but found the amount to be shockingly low. I'm an NQT and had no job in the previous year so shouldn't have been taxed heavily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Got paid today but found the amount to be shockingly low. I'm an NQT and had no job in the previous year so shouldn't have been taxed heavily.

Everyone is taxed at the highest rate of tax unfortunately but it can be claimed back via Revenue.

Which subject?

• Advertisement

Which subject?

Home Economics

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

What date did you finish up correcting junior Home Ec ?

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    What date did you finish up correcting junior Home Ec ?

24th July I believe

I've a bit to go then. Over the 30 days though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Got paid on Friday. Would say the SEC received the forms approximately a month earlier at best. Delighted to see it so early.

• Advertisement

Paid today.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Paid today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭kala85

Which subject?

How much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

kala85 wrote: »
    How much.

How much would depend on the subject, level, number of papers and people's own tax arrangements.

Just received my payslip today and I paid quite a substantial sum into a 'pension related deduction'. Did we always pay this? Where does the money go? I understood that work done for SEC was sort off 'independent work' like a plumber, electrician, builder etc.

Just received my payslip today and I paid quite a substantial sum into a 'pension related deduction'. Did we always pay this? Where does the money go? I understood that work done for SEC was sort off 'independent work' like a plumber, electrician, builder etc.

Yes since the pension levy came in we have paid it. Anyone who works for the public sector has to pay the levy even if they are not entitled to a pension from it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭kala85

Yes since the pension levy came in we have paid it. Anyone who works for the public sector has to pay the levy even if they are not entitled to a pension from it

The ironic thing is, it doesn't even go into your pension

kala85 wrote: »
    The ironic thing is, it doesn't even go into your pension

Yes that's the thing - where does it go??? Into the pensions pot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I think there was one year where the SEC were trying to say that their markers weren't employees but independent contractors. If markers were independent contractors then I'd assume they wouldn't be stuck for the pension levy.
    Is that correct?

Was the extra 20%(?) for taking extra papers not across the board?

We didn't get it in my subject. It was never going to be a fortune anyway, but it annoys me to think we were conned.

• Advertisement

No sign of it here either. And our AE did say anything over x amount of scripts was getting the extra percentage. That was all for show.

I think there was one year where the SEC were trying to say that their markers weren't employees but independent contractors. If markers were independent contractors then I'd assume they wouldn't be stuck for the pension levy.
    Is that correct?

Yeah that's what I meant above.

spurious wrote: »

We didn't get it in my subject. It was never going to be a fortune anyway, but it annoys me to think we were conned.

Well I was paid for a larger number of scripts than I had corrected so I presume that's how they calculated it. I'll try and do the maths on it tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭ccazza

Well I was paid for a larger number of scripts than I had corrected so I presume that's how they calculated it. I'll try and do the maths on it tomorrow.

Yes. That’s how they do it. They multiply the extra scripts you correct by 1.25 and add that on to the base number.

I was paid just the normal rate for one less script than I claimed for. 49 of the scripts were extra.

I contacted Athlone about the extra payment and was told

I am at present dealing with your query (email received 21st September, 2018).

No premium payment was payable for <snip> Junior Certificate <snip>.
    (subject and level snipped by me).

Hmmm. There was definitely mention of the extra payment at the conference.
    We were so stuck for examiners in my subject we all got rather a large amount to begin with, never mind the extras. I already had about 20% more papers than last year, before taking the extra ones.

Just all seems a bit underhand to me, promising something and then slithering out of it.

I was paid just the normal rate for one less script than I claimed for. 49 of the scripts were extra.

I contacted Athlone about the extra payment and was told

I am at present dealing with your query (email received 21st September, 2018).

No premium payment was payable for <snip> Junior Certificate <snip>.
    (subject and level snipped by me).

Hmmm. There was definitely mention of the extra payment at the conference.
    We were so stuck for examiners in my subject we all got rather a large amount to begin with, never mind the extras. I already had about 20% more papers than last year, before taking the extra ones.

Just all seems a bit underhand to me, promising something and then slithering out of it.

By any chance have you the letter that was in your pack stating that an extra payment was payable after a cut off???

I think the premium was on the extra. Don’t know how it worked in other subjects but in mine if you corrected above a specific number of scripts then a premium was to be paid on those surplus scripts. We were given that number some time during the correction period. Don’t know if examiners in my subject got it or not.

I think the premium was on the extra. Don’t know how it worked in other subjects but in mine if you corrected above a specific number of scripts then a premium was to be paid on those surplus scripts. We were given that number some time during the correction period. Don’t know if examiners in my subject got it or not.

Yes, by across the board I meant all subjects, not all the scripts.

By any chance have you the letter that was in your pack stating that an extra payment was payable after a cut off???
    I will have to look through everything, but I clearly remember it being said at the main conference. Our AE then took names of those who would be interested in the 'extra' papers when we broke into groups. My extra papers were posted to me with about a week to go before the Sprioc Lá. Like I said, the extra 20% for 40 odd scripts at the rate for my subject and level would probably not even be the price of a decent bottle of wine, but it's the principle of it that annoys me.

Yes, by across the board I meant all subjects, not all the scripts.

I will have to look through everything, but I clearly remember it being said at the main conference. Our AE then took names of those who would be interested in the 'extra' papers when we broke into groups. My extra papers were posted to me with about a week to go before the Sprioc Lá. Like I said, the extra 20% for 40 odd scripts at the rate for my subject and level would probably not even be the price of a decent bottle of wine, but it's the principle of it that annoys me.

Everyone in our subject would have got the 25% extra once you passed the threshold and if you wanted extra, they took your name at conference.

I suppose I just accept what they give me but was shocked how much that pension related charge was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

The extra for taking extra scripts only applied once you reached a certain threshold, which varied from subject to subject and did not apply to all subjects, as far as I know.

If the cut off for your subject was 300 scripts, and your initial allocation 250, if you took an extra 40 scripts, you marked them at the standard rate. If you took an extra 60, only the last ten were at the increased rate. Just because you took extra scripts does not mean you were automatically entitled to an increased rate.

Advertisement