Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nire Valley Drop

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

Hopefully it won't clash with the ballyhoura tour

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭emeraldmtb

The Tour de Ballyhouras is on the 14th of october, the Nire Valley Drop is on the 28th of October. Both dates provided by the organizers, so should be definite.

14th for Balyhoura I guess!
    Thanks - They are now locked in the diary! 
    The Greystones CX is on the 27th so will need to be skipped - NVD will need full legs!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭emeraldmtb

14th for Balyhoura I guess!
    Thanks - They are now locked in the diary! 
    The Greystones CX is on the 27th so will need to be skipped - NVD will need full legs!

14th yes, sorry. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Been watching a bunch of videos on youtube of this event going back over the years. One of the things that stood out to me though, was the lack of pads being used? Is it fairly tame as far as risk is concerned?

Also, for anyone who's done it before, hows the parking? Thinking of doing the drop but might have to go to Dublin that night so considering staying the Saturday night in the camper (7m long). Wondering if I'll be able to find space to park it on the day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Parking last year was at the Ballymacarby Community center, where the event starts and finishes. Have a look on google earth for the car park, standard spaces maybe room around the back for something bigger than a car/van. Think they also used another car park up the road at the GAA club.
    The year before that we had use of the field opposite for parking.
    I'd ask the orginisers if they can advise on parking options for a camper.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,527 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Top Dog wrote:
    Been watching a bunch of videos on youtube of this event going back over the years. One of the things that stood out to me though, was the lack of pads being used? Is it fairly tame as far as risk is concerned?

Even though I've never done the drop, it does seem to be geared towards the more leisured mountain biker, of which there's nothing wrong with of course, it does seem like a very well run event though, and im sure, a good fun day out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Top Dog wrote: »

Also, for anyone who's done it before, hows the parking? Thinking of doing the drop but might have to go to Dublin that night so considering staying the Saturday night in the camper (7m long). Wondering if I'll be able to find space to park it on the day?

Ill ask one of the organisers in the morning if it OK for you to park in the Community Centre car park on Saturday night.

Edit: Contacted one of the organisers. You will need to contact the Community Centre directly on 052 6185483 to use the car park adjacent to the centre. You will prob need to move the camper on the morning of the NVD to allow the cyclists to park there, but you could move the van down to the GAA field which is only 300m away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Vizzy wrote: »
    Ill ask one of the organisers in the morning if it OK for you to park in the Community Centre car park on Saturday night.

Edit: Contacted one of the organisers. You will need to contact the Community Centre directly on 052 6185483 to use the car park adjacent to the centre. You will prob need to move the camper on the morning of the NVD to allow the cyclists to park there, but you could move the van down to the GAA field which is only 300m away.

Thanks for posting that as I'll probably be doing the same, trying to park the camper the night before (and then use it for a post event shower)

Thanks for that Vizzy.

Don't suppose you've any idea when registrations will be opening?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭mollser

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Even though I've never done the drop, it does seem to be geared towards the more leisured mountain biker, of which there's nothing wrong with of course, it does seem like a very well run event though, and im sure, a good fun day out

Think of it more like the Blitz - definitely suitable for leisure / beginner mtb'rs, but it was fairly racy for the full course! I did it last year in the muck, thought it was a brilliant event, a lot of fire road but the trails were fun. They seem to be adding to them all the time. Very tempted to go back this year.

The setup and support from the locals was outstanding :)

mollser wrote: »
    Think of it more like the Blitz - definitely suitable for leisure / beginner mtb'rs, but it was fairly racy for the full course! I did it last year in the muck, thought it was a brilliant event, a lot of fire road but the trails were fun. They seem to be adding to them all the time. Very tempted to go back this year.

The setup and support from the locals was outstanding :)

This ⬆️⬆️⬆️

Top Dog wrote: »
    Thanks for that Vizzy.

Don't suppose you've any idea when registrations will be opening?

Ill find out :)

It is open on Event Master, even though it has not been officially announced.

It might be starting an hour earlier this year, so keep an eye on the Facebook page for updates.

Vizzy wrote:
    It might be starting an hour earlier this year, so keep an eye on the Facebook page for updates.

How long does the whole circuit take normally?

Depending on your fitness, anything from 2 to 5 hours
    The reason that they would like to start an hour earlier is that they have to take down all the signs etc on the day, so they will be there till 5 or 6pm.
    There is deer hunting in all the forests,so they weren't allowed to start until 12 in previous years. This might be changing this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭seaviewphotos

Signed up today, done this event last year and now I can't wait for this years event. Hopefully the new sections of the course will be as good as last years, super day out.

Signed up today, done this event last year and now I can't wait for this years event. Hopefully the new sections of the course will be as good as last years, super day out.

Friend of mine cycled the trails last week, sounds like he had a lot of fun, enjoy the day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Well, it looks like I won't be able to experience my first Nire Valley Drop this year. I've just been told that there is another event that I've got no choice in attending.......

I was looking forward to it with a mix of trepidation, fear and excitement.

• Advertisement

Well, the weather gods look like they're going to be kind to us this year. Frosty start but warming up during the morning. Very nice, can't wait to hit the trails.

Been following the photos and videos they've been uploading on Facebook and it looks like it'll be good fun. Looking forward to it now.

What a great community. Loved the cycle yesterday. It had everything in it. What a day, loads of signage and plenty of volunteers to keep us on the right track. Super reception afterwards, hot food, great shower. Thanks so much for all the effort. ��what a day.. Simple short video of the Owl Drop, must replace my cheap action cam for next year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3_5tgKki9U&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR0NXTtCpdDPuTM6rfjn7_kt2leZ9Olrp5n_Lbq-3wV67tCZSZG0pRjrxRM

Owl Drop was good fun, right up there with Chicken George. Nire Drop was shortened and missed out on the big berm at the end which was a shame. Thoroughly enjoyable day though.

Some photos now available too - https://www.homeofthemind.com/p752830675

https://www.relive.cc/view/rt10002166863

No camera, but this was one of my logs of the day :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Anyone here signed up for this year ? Thinking of putting my name in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Was looking at this the weekend...
    Anyone a 60k strava on it just to see what climbing is involved in it?

AH....Looks like the 60k is no longer and option....

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭paul mountainbike

Excellent Day again, fresh frosty morning.
    Pure Slop fest at the end lead to quiet a few offs n point the bike n pray style riding through last forestry section.
    Excellent support n marshaling ,food stops n super food at end .
    Well done to all .

Excellent Day again, fresh frosty morning.
    Pure Slop fest at the end lead to quiet a few offs n point the bike n pray style riding through last forestry section.
    Excellent support n marshaling ,food stops n super food at end .
    Well done to all .
    I was one the Marshall's today. Nice to hear good things about the event. I was at the bottom of Chicken George. So many people came down absolutely elated. Made my day . Well done to everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Was a great day on the bike. The conditions definitely made you work for the curry at the end. Spectacular views and a very well run event

Advertisement