Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ladder and Larson traps

Options
  • 20-08-2018 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Hi all.i would really appreciate some advice.ive made two ladder traps for grey crows and a couple of Larson traps for magpies.im new to this and although I have bait in the the traps I'm having no luck.one lad said I need to get call birds for traps but how do I go about this.Any tips would help.thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

Try a homemade nest with a few eggs in it to attract them into the cage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭J.R.

solarwinds wrote: »
    Try a homemade nest with a few eggs in it to attract them into the cage.

Put clingfilm under one of the eggs and break it.
    Clingfilm stops contents soaking into the soil.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭stevep1018

I forgot to mention that I put in homemade nests,made from straw, in the Larson traps,but I didn't break the eggs so I must try this,and then roadkill in the ladder traps.ive positioned the ladder traps under the palm trees and the Grey's are just not interested and the Larson traps are at the back of the cow shed where the magpies always sit but nothing yet.thanks for the replys

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

Id leave them out in plain view. Have you them out long.

Larson traps out 10 days and ladder traps are out 15 and 8 days.i was thinking when deer season is in that I would throw the guts of a deer into the ladder traps and see how this goes as this is what their used to from September on.i want them to work as I've invested so much time in them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Probably not the best time of year for trapping as there is plenty of natural food about with the harvest ongoing. You will probably have more success in a few months with colder weather and hungrier times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Probably not the best time of year for trapping as there is plenty of natural food about with the harvest ongoing. You will probably have more success in a few months with colder weather and hungrier times.

Spot on! Their not hungry enough to bother with the traps. Eggs, nests, roadkill, it won't matter when there's easier pickings to be had. Try your local gun club for a call bird

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭Mech1

Three mags in my trap tonight, just baited with chips and a broken up wild bird fat ball.

If anyone wants a South Dublin call bird pm me.

Mech1 wrote: »
    Three mags in my trap tonight, just baited with chips and a broken up wild bird fat ball.

If anyone wants a South Dublin call bird pm me.

Too late now, gone to magpie heaven to create havoc there instead,
    But I should be able to supply anytime needed.

Maybe I will just leave it so for another few weeks.im in the gun club and this is the first time putting out traps so nobody else is into it, hence the no call bird situation.helpfull info all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭daleshooter

Get some scraps from butcher for ladder trap leave top open for a few days then close with only ladder open should work

Get some scraps from butcher for ladder trap leave top open for a few days then close with only ladder open should work

That's a great idea, thanks for that.

On a separate note...
    Has anybody ever purchased traps for their club from the NARGC.what are they like and how good are the supplier's to deal with.i need more Larson traps and some mink cages.

stevep1018 wrote: »
    That's a great idea, thanks for that.

On a separate note...
    Has anybody ever purchased traps for their club from the NARGC.what are they like and how good are the supplier's to deal with.i need more Larson traps and some mink cages.

Where are you based I can make you a few

Where are you based I can make you a few

I'm in North tipperary.thanks for the offer but I've been told you can buy traps from the nargc at cost price plus you still get the rebate from them,when bought through the club.they didn't send me the prices yet so we will see.can you make me a call bird:) :)lol

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭mikeyboo

I'm in North tipperary.thanks for the offer but I've been told you can buy traps from the nargc at cost price plus you still get the rebate from them,when bought through the club.they didn't send me the prices yet so we will see.can you make me a call bird:) :)lol

You have to purchase the traps then your club secretary sends them to Richie Delaney, and u wait to get a subsidy back,original copy of receipt.

mikeyboo wrote: »
    You have to purchase the traps then your club secretary sends them to Richie Delaney, and u wait to get a subsidy back,original copy of receipt.

I'm still waiting on the traps.they are coming through the RGC but seem to be a bit slow

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭mikeyboo

I'm still waiting on the traps.they are coming through the RGC but seem to be a bit slow

They don't give out traps they give the money to the club,its only given out once year so depending when handed in u might not get it until next year.

mikeyboo wrote: »
    They don't give out traps they give the money to the club,its only given out once year so depending when handed in u might not get it until next year.

I meant to say a lad from the RGC is getting them for me and with the discount and the rebate.i don't know where he gets them but as long as I get them,with the rebate,I don't care.multiple emails to the nargc regarding traps turned into a waste of time.all I got was empty promises.

Hi all.im having great success with the ladder traps since I last posted.i done what some of ye suggested and it worked very well.im having no luck with the Larson trap so I was wandering if anybody could give me a magpie call bird and I will return a new one when I catch it.we have no shortage of them but they just don't like the traps.badly stuck so all help and suggestions appreciated.i live in North Tipperary but will drive almost anywhere for the bird.thanks

Hi all.im having great success with the ladder traps since I last posted.i done what some of ye suggested and it worked very well.im having no luck with the Larson trap so I was wandering if anybody could give me a magpie call bird and I will return a new one when I catch it.we have no shortage of them but they just don't like the traps.badly stuck so all help and suggestions appreciated.i live in North Tipperary but will drive almost anywhere for the bird.thanks

If you are near Knocklyon Dublin 16 im pretty sure i could have one for you by tomorrow night, pm me.

• Advertisement

Leave the top of your ladder trap open for a few days when crowed start feeding close it off I find this works best

Leave the top of your ladder trap open for a few days when crowed start feeding close it off I find this works best

Ladder traps are going fine for Grey's but it's the Larson we are struggling with

Try a bit of mince or butcher scraps might catch grey or magpie worked for me

Try a bit of mince or butcher scraps might catch grey or magpie worked for me

Have tried everything with no success for the magpie.im only at this trapping business a short while and I'm really enjoying it but really need to start catching the magpies.catching the first is the hardest I know

All I can say is bait it and don't go near for 2days when I should have call bird by Sunday will give you a shout if you want to travel to westmeath

Thanks for the help and advice.call birds now acquired

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Hi all.i would really appreciate some advice.ive made two ladder traps for grey crows and a couple of Larson traps for magpies.im new to this and although I have bait in the the traps I'm having no luck.one lad said I need to get call birds for traps but how do I go about this.Any tips would help.thanks

What size are your ladder traps for the greys. I am hoping to make one. And what kind of material is it made from.I was hoping to make a small one if it would work. I already have a big one only moving it is not easy.

What size are your ladder traps for the greys. I am hoping to make one. And what kind of material is it made from.I was hoping to make a small one if it would work. I already have a big one only moving it is not easy.

Mine are 2.4x1.8x1.8.lxbxh.i have made it in 7 pieces including the ladder.made with 2x2 and 25mm chicken wire.its put together in 5 mins with cable ties and is really easy to move.

Mine are 7ft x5ft x5ft 6high made in sections easy to move and put togeather

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Thanks for that. I have one at the moment but not working. I am using a call bird as well. I wonder would a ladder trap be better if the top could be removed and pre bait it for a few days.

Advertisement