Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ladder and Larson traps

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭stevep1018

Thanks for that. I have one at the moment but not working. I am using a call bird as well. I wonder would a ladder trap be better if the top could be removed and pre bait it for a few days.

I used the advice I got here and it worked a treat. Definitely leave it open for a couple of days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭minktrapper

stevep1018 wrote: »
    I used the advice I got here and it worked a treat. Definitely leave it open for a couple of days.

That is the problem. I can't open the top. I might have to build a new one with a removable top. What did you bait it with and for how long.

That is the problem. I can't open the top. I might have to build a new one with a removable top. What did you bait it with and for how long.

I baited it with the white fatty scraps from the butcher for two days unopened and on the night after closing it I had 7 Grey's in it and the other had 4 and they are working continuously since.

I baited it with the white fatty scraps from the butcher for two days unopened and on the night after closing it I had 7 Grey's in it and the other had 4 and they are working continuously since.

Do you remove the whole top section or just the ladder section. Have you left the top on continuously since.

Do you remove the whole top section or just the ladder section. Have you left the top on continuously since.

I take off half of the top.i leave the ladder on so they are used to seeing it.top is on continuously since with great success.i know people say different but keeping it well baited is whats working for me.

• Advertisement

I take off half of the top.i leave the ladder on so they are used to seeing it.top is on continuously since with great success.i know people say different but keeping it well baited is whats working for me.

Do you empty it of trapped birds every time you check it.

I leave 3 birds in it at all times.a spare for my other cage and a bird incase anyone is stuck.some prick opened the door in the other cage this morning and let out the 2 that were in it so I at least have a spare for it this evening in my first trap.im only at this a couple of months but it's really enjoyable checking all the traps every other evening

I leave 3 birds in it at all times.a spare for my other cage and a bird incase anyone is stuck.some prick opened the door in the other cage this morning and let out the 2 that were in it so I at least have a spare for it this evening in my first trap.im only at this a couple of months but it's really enjoyable checking all the traps every other evening

I have a bird in my trap and still nothing gets trapped in it.

I have a bird in my trap and still nothing gets trapped in it.

What's the space between rungs on ladder.maybe time to move the trap.

What's the space between rungs on ladder.maybe time to move the trap.

6" . I am just after moving it into position. I am just after checking it. A grey crow flew over me. So I think I have been spotted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 50 ✭✭daleshooter

No need to build a new one just take wire off top and make 2sections sane size that can be put on or removed

I am starting to get one or two greys now. At long last. Would one be better off with a removable top section so that baiting them every now and then would help to trap more.

Is there a reason why ladder traps are so big. As in overall size. If they were shorter it would be easier to move them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 50 ✭✭daleshooter

I make mine in sections easy to assemble put together with cable ties in 5 min 7ftx6ftx5.5ft high

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Is there a reason why ladder traps are so big. As in overall size. If they were shorter it would be easier to move them.

Well the idea of them is to catch large numbers. The smaller they are, the less will fit in them technically. Also, the high roof will limit escapees.

Eddie B wrote: »
    Well the idea of them is to catch large numbers. The smaller they are, the less will fit in them technically. Also, the high roof will limit escapees.

Not so much the height but the length.

Mine are 7x6x6.you would be kept going with the birds in them.over 120 birds caught since I got the advice on here ,which really paid off,a couple of months ago.my buddy has one that is 5x4x4 and he has no success with it.we have a good supply of fat from the butcher and they just can't refuse it.

Mine are 7x6x6.you would be kept going with the birds in them.over 120 birds caught since I got the advice on here ,which really paid off,a couple of months ago.my buddy has one that is 5x4x4 and he has no success with it.we have a good supply of fat from the butcher and they just can't refuse it.

Is it grey crows you are catching?

Is it grey crows you are catching?

Yeah all Grey's in the ladder traps and I have the Larson traps for Mr magpie

Yeah all Grey's in the ladder traps and I have the Larson traps for Mr magpie

Did you catch them in a short period or in ones and twos.

• Advertisement

Did you catch them in a short period or in ones and twos.

Different numbers in traps every evening.on some rare nights you have nothing but almost every other evening you could have anything from 1 to 10 between 2 trap's.ive given away 14 callbirds to neighbouring club and when I was having a bad survival rate with magpies,they helped us out so it's nice to return the favour.we find that it's best to keep fresh callbirds in the traps because old ones seem to just perch all day and lose interest in their job.we keep 4 spare Grey's and 4 magpies for our own traps or incase anyone is stuck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭Cadpat_cowboy

Any body around West Wicklow south Dublin have a spare magpie they would part with to use as a call bird?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I usually don't bother with Larsons too much during this time of year but will probably go with them again in the next few weeks such is the amount of large magpie broods arriving into the place since the start of last month

Birdnuts wrote: »
    I usually don't bother with Larsons too much during this time of year but will probably go with them again in the next few weeks such is the amount of large magpie broods arriving into the place since the start of last month

Where I am is over run with pies at the moment, too many to shoot so the trap is probably best option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Birdnuts wrote: »

Yea young magpies really fall for the larsons. Had countless times with three in the trap. Never managed a full house of mags tbough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

Any body around West Wicklow south Dublin have a spare magpie they would part with to use as a call bird?

I will put out the trap this evening when I get home, your almost guaranteed a bird by tomorrow lunchtime if you want.

Mech1 wrote: »
    I will put out the trap this evening when I get home, your almost guaranteed a bird by tomorrow lunchtime if you want.

Thank you very much man be great to reduce there numbers Abit around the yard.

Ok Trap set,,, Watch this space for a update.

I must have caught a dozen Starlings this morning.
    No Magpies yet.

• Advertisement

All starlings released obviously!!!

Advertisement