Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 Friends First Laragh Classic

Options
  • 20-08-2018 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭

2018 Friends First Laragh Classic - Saturday September 1st.

Presented by St. Tiernan's CC.

This years races will finish for the first time at the top of the Wicklow Gap.

Three races A1/A2 Friends First Laragh Classic, Womens Laragh Classic and A3/Juniors Martin Vereker Memorial.

Each race limited to 60 riders. This will fill up fast so enter online as soon as you can.

Round 5 of the Cycling Ireland National Road Series
    Sign on open 8.30am-10.30am
    Racing begins at 11.00am
    Race HQ: Brockagh Centre, Laragh, Co. Wicklow
    Race route here: https://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/2189856949

Registration here:
    https://register.primoevents.com/ps/event/FriendsFirstLaraghClassic2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

daragh_ wrote: »
    2018 Friends First Laragh Classic - Saturday September 1st.

Presented by St. Tiernan's CC.

This years races will finish for the first time at the top of the Wicklow Gap.

Three races A1/A2 Friends First Laragh Classic, Womens Laragh Classic and A3/Juniors Martin Vereker Memorial.

Each race limited to 60 riders. This will fill up fast so enter online as soon as you can.

Round 5 of the Cycling Ireland National Road Series
    Sign on open 8.30am-10.30am
    Racing begins at 11.00am
    Race HQ: Brockagh Centre, Laragh, Co. Wicklow
    Race route here: https://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/2189856949

Registration here:
    https://register.primoevents.com/ps/event/FriendsFirstLaraghClassic2018

No A4 race again ? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

sullzz wrote: »

Sorry. We would if we could but it just isn't feasible given our resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭happyhappy

sullzz wrote: »

Bray Wheelers have an A4 race the following day- the inaugural Ronnie Coates Memorial (formerly the Roundwood GP)

http://www.braywheelers.com/christy-mcmanus-memorial-race-and-inaugural-ronnie-coates-memorial-race/

Sorry for putting this on the Laragh Classic thread Daragh, It’s only to highlight that there is an A4 race up the road that weekend.

happyhappy wrote: »
    Bray Wheelers have an A4 race the following day- the inaugural Ronnie Coates Memorial (formerly the Roundwood GP)

http://www.braywheelers.com/christy-mcmanus-memorial-race-and-inaugural-ronnie-coates-memorial-race/

Sorry for putting this on the Laragh Classic thread Daragh, It’s only to highlight that there is an A4 race up the road that weekend.

Get your own thread! And good luck with the race :-)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

My error, it is there.

• Advertisement

Anyone from here going? I seen a few riders giving it a spin over the weekend. Cracking course and the finish will be a great one. Nothing against the organisers but the finish was the only let down on the course last year, this is safer and quite a bit more epic.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Anyone from here going? I seen a few riders giving it a spin over the weekend. Cracking course and the finish will be a great one. Nothing against the organisers but the finish was the only let down on the course last year, this is safer and quite a bit more epic.

It will be epic! Bring your cowbells.

Just chatting to one of the organisers, entries closing tonight. A3 has a few places left, women's is currently on par with last year. A1 and A2 full though.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Just got a letter in the post fining me for parking on the side of the road in Laragh the day of this race.

Anybody else? I wasn't the only one who arrived after 10:15am when all the spaces in the centre were taken.

Where were you parked and who fined you? I didn't hear of anyone handing out fines or receiving them.

• Advertisement

I was parked just across from the entrance to the centre, not directly across from it, but towards Glendalough side.

Garda fined me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Me too.
    So incredibly sound of them.

The fine is for parking on the path.

I could have parked on the road and been perfectly legal but I chose to park on the path and road as it's a narrow enough road.
    I left enough room for a buggy on the path (I have two kids I know the hassle).

So my consideration got me a 40 euro fine.

Sigh.

Pretty ****ty, I imagine some local residents felt aggrieved about the parking and reported it rather than the Gardai actively targeting you.

Nothing I can suggest unfortunately other than parking elsewhere next year, I know a few went up to near the gap and came back down by bike. Something the gardai could have told the organisers about maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

There's parking issues all summer, particularly with charges now for both car parks. I doubt it was specifically against the race tbh, just a general low tolerance of illegal parking.

I parked on the path so that car would not be in the road for the race, or passing traffic as lots of buses pass.

Is there any point in contacting St Tiernans about this do you guys think?

Chumpski wrote: »
    Is there any point in contacting St Tiernans about this do you guys think?
    Not sure what you would expect them to do unless it is to advise them that it occurred and to warn riders next year. I was going to pass it along to the organiser so he could give a fair warning to people and maybe scope out alternative parking.

I guess i have to man up and pay the fine is all i can do. Ill know better next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

I drove up the Gap and parked in the car park up on the Gap and cycled down to sign on.

Advertisement