Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TSM HELP needed

Options
  • 20-08-2018 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

If I start in TSM as a freshman and i don't like one of the two subjects in the joint honours am I able to drop that subject to just do a Single Honours in the remaining subject ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭DeeAvery

I am not a TSM student so I may be open to correction.
    TSM isn't just applying for a general arts degree like in many institutions and then choosing your courses after. When you apply for a TSM combination you are Appling directly for a degree in those subjects eg. History and Geography, etc. Depending on your combination of subjects it outlines down the line what subjects you major and minor in. As in depending on your subject combination:
    You can take both all 4 years,
    You drop one after 3rd year if you wish
    One can't be brought forward to 4th year and must be dropped after 3rd year.

The terms and conditions of each combination can be found on the TCD website.

If you are referring to dropping a subject soon after starting, during or at the end of the JF year you will have to apply for an internal transfer. It is because you are moving to a different degree altogether. If you applied using points (as in not a mature student basically), You then will have to have the CAO points for the single-honours degree you are transferring too. Which can often be higher than the TSM combinations. Transferring is not guaranteed and for higher in demand courses I'd say it’s though as the courses would be full. When transferring you have to consider the possibility of repeating first year but theoretically you can transfer into 2nd year after you finish first year.

In reference to transferring contact your Tutor immediately (who will be assigned to you around freshers or the first couple of weeks). It will be through your Tutor you would do all this with.

I've met several people who tried to transfer but were unsuccessful and reapplied through the CAO the next year, one who had to twice and in the end go with their second choice. I have met only One person who successfully internally transferred but that was from TSM Economics and Sociology to General Science. They had to repeat first year though.

Advertisement