Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wide Angle Lens for Canon 5D MKIV Recommendation

• 20-08-2018 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Hi there, I have a 5D MKIV with a 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens but looking to get a wide angle lens and hoping to get some recommendations. I mainly shoot athletics and road races etc and the 70-200 is absolutely perfect for this.
    Was hoping to pickup a wide angle lens over the next month or so for closer action and presentations etc and to get into landscape. Ideally I dont want to part with much more than 1,000 euro. What would be a good lens to look at?  I am thinking maybe 24-70mm?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Homer

Second hand 16-35 F4 would be my vote. Super sharp lens and would be ideal for landscape. 24 is not wide enough IMO for proper landscape work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

I have the Canon 16-35 F4 and the 24-70 F4. The 16 gets very little use to be honest. I prefer to pick out the more interesting aspect of the scene. The 24-70 is also more versatile and is a decent walk around lens if you don't fancy carrying a gear bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Very rare that 24 on a full frame would leave you wanting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Wailin

I second Homers recommendation on the 16-35 f4. Superb lens, very sharp and far better than the 16-35 f2.8 mk II. My most used lens by far for landscape. If you've the budget, the 2.8 mk III is better again but very expensive and heavier than the f4.

I also had the 24mm TS-E, very sharp and no better lens for stitched panoramas...but I ended up selling it as I always found the versatility of the 16-35mm made me keep coming back to it.

Edit: Maybe the 24-70 would be the better choice since you're not really into landscapes. 16mm is very wide on a FF camera and really only useable for architecture and wide vistas.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭i_steal_sheep

Cheers for the advice. I think I'm going to go for the 24-70 f2.8. I might get an ultra wide piece of glass at a later stage but for the time being I'm pretty sure the 24-70 will do the job I want.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,059 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I’m looking similar advice for a crop sensor camera. I don’t mind spending a bit on a good second hand EF lens.

For landscapes.

I think on crop sensor I’d need to go at least 16mm?

Canon 10-22 is a great wide angle lens for crop sensor. Equivalent to 16-35 on full frame. Had one and it was great.

• Administrators Posts: 54,059 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Wailin wrote: »
    Canon 10-22 is a great wide angle lens for crop sensor. Equivalent to 16-35 on full frame. Had one and it was great.
    You recommend sticking with an EF-S?

I guess there aren't many non-crazy priced wide angle EF lenses that are wide enough to be useful on a crop. And maybe it'd be a bit of a waste on my body (1300D)?

It really is a very decent lens. OK it may not be as sharp as an EF lens, or have the build quality, but at a fraction of the cost the differences will only be noticeable when you pixel peep at 60-100%. Distortion is more obvious but can be sorted in post processing. They are going on adverts for around €250 used.

If you want to go with an EF lens on the crop sensor bear in mind 16-35 is 25-55mm so not really wide angled if that's your goal. If you are planning on upgrading to FF in the future then it would make sense to go with an EF lens. I'd recommend the 16-35mm F4, great lens and better than the 16-35mm F2.8 mk II unless you needed the faster lens...you won't for landscape though (the mk III is a different story altogether, and very expensive).

Advertisement