Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I get a better mortgage deal?

• 20-08-2018 2:49pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have a small property I bought 14 years ago for 130k - current value about 70k. I must be one of the most unlucky in the country as most others are back by now. There is about 90k left on the mortgage, properly is rented out. Can I get a better mortgage rate? I'm with Bank of Ireland and paying about 4.3% variable I think. Non buy to let mortgage rates are miles cheaper, AIB quoted me way less - but they didn't ask if I was living in it. What are my options?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Zascar wrote: »
    I have a small property I bought 14 years ago for 130k - current value about 70k. I must be one of the most unlucky in the country as most others are back by now. There is about 90k left on the mortgage, properly is rented out. Can I get a better mortgage rate? I'm with Bank of Ireland and paying about 4.3% variable I think. Non buy to let mortgage rates are miles cheaper, AIB quoted me way less - but they didn't ask if I was living in it. What are my options?

As you're in negative equity, you're not going to be able to switch the mortgage unfortunately.

You will be looking for a c.128% loan to value mortgage. No bank will do a personal mortgage for more than 90% LTV, and you would struggle to get a Buy to Let for more than 70% LTV I'm afraid.

Advertisement