Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Negative colleague

Options
  • 20-08-2018 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

I recently started a new job and I made fast friends with another new starter. We spent 8 weeks in training and 3 weeks ago started the job proper. I won’t say I’m cruising but I’m getting the hang of it and getting more confident in the role. My friend however is struggling but won’t admit it to anyone but me. I’ve tried to give her advice and help but she snaps back at me saying I am not her supervisor and doesn’t need my help but she clearly does. Other colleagues have noticed it too, someone told her to calm down and she lied into him. She constantly rants to me how hard the job is and how she hates it but blows up at me if I give advise or offer help. I don’t know what to do with her because it’s creating a terrible work environment. What should i do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Nothing.

She’s right, you aren’t her manager and by the sounds of it, she’s a bit of a control freak and won’t be happy til she does it all by herself.

Learn that you can’t help everybody, no matter how hard you want to. Definitely say to her that if she needs help, you are more than willing to give it and she just needs to reach out. But other that that, just stay out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

JacenSolo wrote: »
    What should i do?

Do your job and leave her to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

I find work friendships can start very easily, but sometimes it's a false persona and the real persona comes out sooner or later. This sounds like that situation, deal with it entirely professionally and only get involved when asked to do so by your supervisor.

Advertisement