Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Printing leaflets at home

Options
  • 20-08-2018 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

I'm looking at alternatives to commercial leaflet printers as the info I'm looking to distribute is time sensitive and it would be easier for me to be able to print at home.

My printer at home can print up to 105gsm paper.

Can I buy paper that I can print on that would be closer to a professional leaflet quality (170gsm+) but stay within my limit of 105gsm?

I can't find anything online and would appreciate any pointers.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

105 gsm isn't far off standard paper really. You should be able to get 100gsm from amazon or ebay so its as thick as possible. If you've just got a standard printer you're unlikely to get as good a look as you'd like. If this is a long term thing might be worth considering a printer upgrade to something that's going to give the sort of quality you want. For now just get the best quality paper and can and turn the printer settings to as best quality as you can so you make the most of what you have!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I would really try to find a small local print shop to help you with this. You will find it very difficult to do this consistently and it will be very time consuming. It will also be expensive.

The weight of the paper doesn't make it more professional really. It's just the weight (thickness basically) of the paper. You can get cheap 170gsm paper, and you can get very expensive 80 gsm paper. Whether the paper will suit your printer is a whole other story.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

How time sensitive are we talking here? Any local printer would be able to do them on a quick enough turn around I'm sure.

You can get 105gsm paper but as was mentioned that's just the weight it has nothing to do with how professional they look, that's down to the design - you could go for a glossy paper if you wanted that sort of finish to look more professional but really doing it at home isn't going to be cost effective with the cost of ink depending on how many you are doing and how often.

Also assuming you are doing them on a standard home printer then you will probably be looking at cutting them from A4 down to A5 printing 2 per page which means time and effort and a lack of consistency, also some home printers force margins so you wont get a full bleed to the edge of the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Yep, if the local printer knows you and knows you need them first thing in the morning, he will have it done for you as soon as it is emailed to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭KBD85

It's a bit on the expensive side and was hoping to have the convenance of printing at home but it looks like I'll be using a printer for a while and if it is an effective way of customer acquisition I'll get a more professional printer from HP that I have my eye on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement