Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transferring to computer Science UCD

Options
  • 20-08-2018 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi guys I was just enquiring I have been accepted to UCD computational social science and I was wondering if it would be possible to transfer to pure computer science in 2nd year
    If anybody has any info or experience about transferring I would really appreciate it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Oathkeeper wrote: »
    Hi guys I was just enquiring I have been accepted to UCD computational social science and I was wondering if it would be possible to transfer to pure computer science in 2nd year
    If anybody has any info or experience about transferring I would really appreciate it

You're probably not going to get any useful replies as computational social science is brand new afaik.

I'd be skeptical as they are separate programs (css isn't under science). However, it would stand to reason that it could be taken into account in terms of recognition of prior learning.

This presents a steep and thorny path imo. Not to mention that css covers python in stage 1 whereas cs covers C, which would be a bit of a culture shock entering into stage 2. But take what I say with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 CrowdedBear

Hey there,

I'd agree with @OneOfThemStumbled but it's not all doom and gloom.

Last year I entered into engineering but by around week 10 I realized it wasn't right for me. The deadline for changing course the easy way is about week 7. Since I missed it I had to complete the semester and make an 'application' to transfer to science.

This meant that they reviewed my semester 1 grades and my CAO grades. Since Engineering and Physics are similar enough and the school of Physics doesn't exactly get a lot of internal transfers yet it has a lot of dropouts, I was able to get in quite easily.

As for your courses, I'm not sure if it'll be that easy. I assume you didn't get the CAO points for computer science but you want to use computational science as pathway. That's a good idea but since it's a new course the only way to get accurate information would be to ask the school you want to transfer into.

Don't be afraid to send them an email now, they don't bite.

Good luck :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Hey there,

Don't be afraid to send them an email now, they don't bite.

Ah, but will they answer? That's the question. :D

Nothing lost in trying, though!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Oathkeeper

Thanks everybody for the answers really appreciate it

Advertisement