Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Breakdown of the overall welfare budget

• 20-08-2018 7:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,891 ✭✭✭✭

There's been a lot of talk of a welfare state and people living off the welfare, but I've seen posts saying even if certain parts of the welfare were reformed it wouldn't save that much money in the grand scheme of things.
    So I'm just wondering of the 20 billion or so, how much goes to disability benefit, job seekers, pension etc.
    Could the prsi hike Regina Doherty's department are talking about be offset by reforming job seekers benefit etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

https://whereyourmoneygoes.gov.ie/en/

The government make it easy OP

Happy reading

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

mikemac2 wrote: »

Happy reading

Other = Michael D Higgins travelling expenses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Stanford

What about the €20m for the Pope's visit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Stanford wrote: »
    What about the €20m for the Pope's visit?

How much of that will be made back ,if say 1 million people turn up and spend an average of €10 each in businesss across the city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Gatling wrote: »
    How much of that will be made back ,if say 1 million people turn up and spend an average of €10 each in businesss across the city

That's circular not external resources being spent in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Stanford

And buy tacky souvenirs made in the Far East?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

I hope they're hawking junior cert economics books at the phoenix park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,891 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Jesus! 10. 8billion on debt and EU payments!! Bloody hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,878 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I will post full DSP spending data tonight, if I get a chance.

Of the 20bn, at least 6bn is pensions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭mickuhaha

tom1ie wrote: »
    Jesus! 10. 8billion on debt and EU payments!! Bloody hell.

That's interest only. There is no payment off the actual debt as of yet. Sorry 10.2 is interest and 0.6 is EU payment... For being in the EU more or less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭PistolsAtDawn

mikemac2 wrote: »

Happy reading

Thanks for posting that link.

We spent €2.81 billion on Jobseekers allowance in 2010 when the unemployment rate was roughly 14% and weekly payments were €196

And in 2017 with roughly 6.5% unemployment we still spent €2.1 billion with jobseekers payment basically unchanged.

SO roughly speaking we have half the amount of unemployed people but only decreased our spending by less than a third. Why?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

We spent €2.81 billion on Jobseekers allowance in 2010 when the unemployment rate was roughly 14% and weekly payments were €196

And in 2017 with roughly 6.5% unemployment we still spent €2.1 billion with jobseekers payment basically unchanged.

SO roughly speaking we have half the amount of unemployed people but only decreased our spending by less than a third. Why?

What the heck is the other 17.9 billion going on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

The way the government keep increasing the pension age il be claiming the dole at 70 because I will be too old to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

mickuhaha wrote: »
    That's interest only. There is no payment off the actual debt as of yet. Sorry 10.2 is interest and 0.6 is EU payment... For being in the EU more or less.

While we continue to have positive economic growth then each year the capital sum becomes smaller relative to the overall size of our economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

mikeym wrote: »
    The way the government keep increasing the pension age il be claiming the dole at 70 because I will be too old to work.

My OH's aunt is unable to get anybody to hire her. She is in her 50's and struggling to get by on the dole. But she's literally applied for 14 jobs in the last 2 weeks. We were giving her help with some of the online application's

But with the retirement age rising it's going to become a big problem for people who work in retail/hospitality & manual work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I have no issues paying for the genuine cases

none

Mental issues etc they need to be protected looked after always

If we can't do that as a society we have failed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Guys, don't mean to sound like a pain in the ar$e, but the second post in the thread contains a link that gives a very good breakdown of expenditure with very clear figures. Yet, already, we have lots of posts with either inaccurate figures or asking "where does the rest go", when it is very clearly laid out on the charts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,145 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Even then, most of money went on the long tail: both parents unemployed, lots of kids (you get more dole for each one) ... who know how to get every allowance and one-off payment that there is. Little or not official work experience. Not attractive to anyone looking to hire above the table.

Your regular short term JSB receipient only claims for them-self: their partner is working, so the cost per head is a lot lower. They're more likely to get and do official casual work (X's and 0's - they only get the dole for days they're actually not working). Not eligible for Christmas double payments and lots of other bits and pieces, either.

What the heck is the other 17.9 billion going on?

Pensions = 7bn approx

Illness, Disability, Caring = 3.7bn, incl. IB, IP, CA

Children, CB = 2.6bn

• Advertisement

I'll check this data now.

JSA 2010 = 2.81bn

JSA 2016 = 2.452bn

First problem, % UNR is not the same as unemployed people.

I'll check the recipients now.

JSA 2010 = 262,000

JSA 2016 = 218,260

We have the answer now.

The number on JSA did not halve at all.

It has fallen by less than 20% between 2010 and 2016.

Geuze wrote: »
    We have the answer now.

What were the actual unemployment rates in 2010 and 2016?
    Why is the graph of unemployed vs jsa paid out not linear?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

our biggest issue is the amount of low earners who pay little or no income tax. someone on 20k pays something like 500euro a year.

our biggest issue is the amount of low earners who pay little or no income tax. someone on 20k pays something like 500euro a year.

Yeah this needs to drastically change. Two tiers of a flat rate tax. Where everybody pays. Including tax on welfare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭oceanman

are you sure about that?

Bear in mind that JSA does not equal unemployment.

There are employed people on JSA.

There are unemployed people not on JSA.

As employment rises, the number on JSA may not fall.

A new job does not imply an exit from unemployment.

My parents on nearly 50k pay 8-10% direct taxes, and get:

two med cards
    two travel passes
    free TV licence
    35pm / 420pa off elec bill

Such a generous nation.

Q1 ILO UNR = 13.7%

JSB = 123,457
    JSA = 261,850

So 385,000 approx

Q1 ILO UNR = 8.8%

JSB = 37,625
    JSA =218,260

So 255,000 approx.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

What struck me about the welfare spend when looking at the numbers (from a similar source) was that about 3% went on administration. While as a percentage that doesn't sound big, it's a massive amount in absolute terms. Given that much of it should simply be electronic payment I'm sure there must be scope for improving the efficiency of the face to face elements.

What's interesting is how many people are beneficiaries of welfare working-age income supports.

This excludes pensions.

2010 = 1m people approx

2016 = 655,000, of which 585,000 are beneficiaries of social assistance, so not linked to PRSI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

boombang wrote: »
    What struck me about the welfare spend when looking at the numbers (from a similar source) was that about 3% went on administration. While as a percentage that doesn't sound big, it's a massive amount in absolute terms. Given that much of it should simply be electronic payment I'm sure there must be scope for improving the efficiency of the face to face elements.

What struck me was they gave the breakdown of administration under the welfare heading, probably because they thought the 3% was an efficient figure. I immediately clicked on the health spend to see the same figures and guess what we spend our €14 Bn on? Well one figure is €10Bn on the HSE and nearly €4Bn goes on 'Care programme'. That's really illuminating alright.

Similarly our €10Bn spend on Education mainly breaks down as €7Bn on "first second and early years education" and €1.6 Bn on Third Level. Its like as if they don't really want you to know where the money goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭screamer

Geuze wrote: »

We have the answer now.

Course not it's all the BS "courses" and "schemes" run by the government to make it look like unemployed people are not unemployed but training or doing something small for an extra few quid on top of their benefits.

Advertisement