Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is it about smoking that makes you so rude?

• 20-08-2018 8:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭

Today alone I've had people smoking in very close proximity to me on footpaths and at front door of office, I've had to clear up a load of cigarette butts from front garden and I spotted at least 1 person fire a cigarette out window while driving.

If I was to stand around doors and on footpaths blowing a different foul smell into people's faces I wouldn't last long, so why are cigarettes and vapes okay?

If I was spotted throwing small bits of paper all over the ground somebody would be very quick to stop me, but why are fag ends okay on the ground?

If I was to throw any rubbish out of a moving car, surely people would be disgusted, but why is it okay for cigarettes?

I'm sure these smokers are usually lovely and kind people, but when it comes to their habit the norms are all wrong. Why is that? How can we change the habit, if we can't stop the smoking itself?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Sure that’s Cork for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

dulpit wrote: »
    If I was to throw any rubbish out of a moving car, surely people would be disgusted, but why is it okay for cigarettes?

It's not okay. It's fcuking disgusting. Shame on any knackbag that does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

dulpit wrote: »
    Today alone I've had people smoking in very close proximity to me on footpaths and at front door of office, I've had to clear up a load of cigarette butts from front garden and I spotted at least 1 person fire a cigarette out window while driving.

If I was to stand around doors and on footpaths blowing a different foul smell into people's faces I wouldn't last long, so why are cigarettes and vapes okay?

If I was spotted throwing small bits of paper all over the ground somebody would be very quick to stop me, but why are fag ends okay on the ground?

I'm sure these smokers are usually lovely and kind people, but when it comes to their habit the norms are all wrong. Why is that? How can we change the habit, if we can't stop the smoking itself?

When I used to smoke I used to make an effort not to stand close to people when I lit up and to try and stand downwind. What always amazed me was how many people would walk right up beside me with their baby or infant and then stay there. In the end I'd move because someone has to look out for the poor unfortunate child. For some reason people seem to love standing or sitting next to strangers, which drives me mad as someone who enjoys their personal space.

Saying all that, if you're complaining about people vaping outside you seem to just want a moan. There's scarcely a smell off them indoors never mind outside. As for littering, some people weren't raised well. Probably by the same type of parents I mentioned above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Stanford

Enforce the existing laws, thats how to change the habits

Advertisement