Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Documents required by solicitor when selling house

Options
  • 20-08-2018 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭

I am in the process of selling a house and I have received a letter from my solicitor oulining documents that they have a copy of and requesting originals of. My question is, why do they want originals - would the copies not do and if I had to go looking for copies where would I go? The documents relate to planning etc. I will ring solicitor tomorrow and ask them but is always good to get other people's opinion first.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Stanford

You will be able to get copies of all planning documents by printing them off the Local Authority planning website, if they are very old you will have to get the staff to retrieve them from storage and copy them for you for which there will be a charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

Thanks for the reply. Also why is the solicitor looking for all the legal documents from me? If they needed them would it not be their job to get them? Is it not a bit like going into a restaurant and ordering a meal and the chef telling you to go to the butcher and get the meat?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Stanford

Its likely that they need original documents in order to swear that they have copies of originals.What in particular are they looking for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

duffysfarm wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. Also why is the solicitor looking for all the legal documents from me? If they needed them would it not be their job to get them? Is it not a bit like going into a restaurant and ordering a meal and the chef telling you to go to the butcher and get the meat?

They are getting them.....from you!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

duffysfarm wrote: »
    They ask you first. If you havent got them then they will get them for you but be prepared to pay. They will charge you 120 for sending some intern up to the council office for the NPPR cert etc

• Advertisement

They are getting them.....from you!

how in the name of f**k does the above comment contribute anything to this thread?

Stanford wrote: »
    You will be able to get copies of all planning documents by printing them off the Local Authority planning website, if they are very old you will have to get the staff to retrieve them from storage and copy them for you for which there will be a charge.

they have the copies of the documents and are looking for originals so getting more copies wont be any good i would imagine.......

Stanford wrote: »
    Its likely that they need original documents in order to swear that they have copies of originals.What in particular are they looking for?

they are looking for original of exemption from house check engineering consultant services, original planning permission for original of retention of garage, original planning ref xyz, certificate of compliance for side extension, cert from consulting engineer from 1984. there are various numbers/references to the above which i havent included

Advertisement