Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Boards so strapped for cash?

Options
  • 20-08-2018 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭

Is boards.ie so strapped for cash they need to take money from (and legitimise as a Sponsor with a Verified Rep) dodgy lotto companies?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057901419

A cursory google shows a whole lot of obvious shilling on Trustpilot, and reports elsewhere that people were signed up for recurring payments without being aware of it.

Poor form boards.ie
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

a new low

the bar seems to be constantly dropping

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

And not a single responsible gambling message in this advertorial which is a big breach.

"All marketing communications for gambling services or products shall contain a message to encourage responsible gambling and shall direct people to a source of information about gambling and gambling responsibly"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

And not a single responsible gambling message in this advertorial which is a big breach.

"All marketing communications for gambling services or products shall contain a message to encourage responsible gambling and shall direct people to a source of information about gambling and gambling responsibly"

but but but the staff need paying, and lotto isn't really gambling

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Hi guys,
    Sorry I didn't get to this yesterday.

They are a legitimate company based in the Isle of Man. This may be why they were unaware of the ASAI recommendation regarding the responsible gambling message, however I will highlight this to them today.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Hi guys,

They are a legitimate company based in the Isle of Man. This may be why they were unaware of the ASAI recommendation regarding the responsible gambling message, however I will highlight this to them today.

Thanks.

That’s a bit of a lame excuse “they may not be aware”. Seriously? How legitimate of a company are they aren’t aware of the regulations in the countries they operate in? There’s similar requirements in the UK as well isn’t there?

The whole ‘responsible gambling’ thing is a joke anyway. Addicts I’m sure pay great attention to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

That ad should be removed as it does not meet the legal requirements for advertising gambling in Ireland.

Surprised that a legitimate company would be unaware of local regulations of countries they advertise in and even more surprised that boards.ie legal team is allowing an advertising breach - usually boards.ie errs on the side of caution wrt legal matters.

In its current format that ad could be reported to ASAI.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,640 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Hi guys,

Thanks.

Hmmmm....

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

markodaly wrote: »
    Hmmmm....

Had to lol at that too.

Boards promoting off shore gambling companies , and continuing to do so after they have been informed that the post is in breach of gambling advertising regulations , well, it's just not ok.

Ignorance of the regulations is a poor defence for the advertiser but pretty indefensible for Boards as the media owner.

A little bit of corporate social responsibility needed here .

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

A responsible gambling message has been added to the content of the piece, thanks for your help.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement