Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ranelagh LUAS - safe for bike parking?

Options
  • 20-08-2018 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

Does anyone here leave their bike at the Ranelagh LUAS stop? I'm thinking about doing it. Just bought a bike and I am thinking in maybe cycle to there, and then get the LUAS to work.

But my question is, is it safe enough to leave the bike there? It is a brand new ~350 euro bike, I spent over 100 euro in 2 Sold Secure Gold rating locks.

(I would also park in Charlemont LUAS stop, but not sure if it is better - or worse)

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Nope nope nope.

The only stops you can regularly lock at and not lose your precious are the locker ones. Windy Arbour has some now (about 1 for every 5 sheffields) and maybe a few others.

Source: Used to live on the line until very recently

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Racks at public transport stops and outside cinemas get a lot of attention from more determined thieves, because you're effectively saying: I'm going to be gone some time.

What you could do is lock your bike near the station, you should be ok with two gold-standard locks. I've always done ok with one gold- and one silver-standard lock. Just make sure your locking technique is ok. Plenty of guides online, if you don't already know.

EDIT: Just to be a bit clearer. I leave my bike, which is ten years old, more or less, in the street all the time locked with a gold-standard and silver-standard lock. I leave it for hours on end. I've never had a problem. €350 isn't a terrifically tempting bike for a thief to spend time over, and if you lock it properly in the street with two gold-standard locks, you should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 esdrasportillo

Yeah...

I watched loads of videos and read loads of articles on how to avoid theft, I walk in the streets now judging every poorly locked bike (there are so many).

I think I will park in Drury St maybe, I will get the Luas from there then.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

I used to lock mine at the rack at the tri-angle and never had a problem. I'd be a little reluctant to leave it at an unmanned station all day even if it keeps it out of the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    I used to lock mine at the rack at the tri-angle and never had a problem. I'd be a little reluctant to leave it at an unmanned station all day even if it keeps it out of the rain.
    That's where I'd leave it too. I've left a bike there for hours on end without any problem. I think the racks there fill up quickly enough though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement