Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gyms in Drogheda town

Options
  • 20-08-2018 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi im looking for a gym in Drogheda town. Ive googled it but can only find gyms on the outskirts of town in business and retail parks and funtasia. These are too far for me, I dont drive and dont fancy waiting around on buses - I prefare to just go in when I can and leave on my own watch rather than planning my day around it, timing buses etc.
    I found The Boyneside on facebook but I dont think its what im looking for, I just want a standard gym thats close by. Does anyone know of one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Vital Transformation

What you googled is accurate. There isn't a standard, commercial type gym in the centre of Drogheda. The ones that fit that description are Integral, Gym Plus and Aura.

Integral is in a retail park in Newfoundwell and Gym Plus is in the M1 Retail Park. Aura is probably the closest, about a 20 minutes walk from the centre of town in Rathmullan. There's also the gym at the Boyne Valley Hotel but again that is the outskirts, on the Dublin Road.

What are you looking for in a gym specifically? Boyneside is a good strength gym, that's its focus. If you aren't fussy about a pool and sauna I can see it meeting most of your needs. Cardio wise, there's only one treadmill and elliptical in there, a stair climber and two rowing machines. It's not a busy gym however, actually very quiet at times; you'd have no problems waiting to use that equipment.

There's a place called Unapproved Training Facility on Fair Green, seems to be a small operation. Looks to be strength training focused, like Boyneside. I don't know much about it, doesn't look like they have a proper website online.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,356 ✭✭✭positron

I wouldn't have thought Aura or even Boyne Valley as 'outskirts' of town, especially in the context of going to a gym, focus is on excercise. Also why would there be a large gym in the middle of a town anyway, are they not more useful closer to residential areas than shops and offices?

PS: I have heard only postive comments about Boyneside so far, but it's a classic gym, no pool / sauna etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

positron wrote: »
    I wouldn't have thought Aura or even Boyne Valley as 'outskirts' of town, especially in the context of going to a gym, focus is on excercise. Also why would there be a large gym in the middle of a town anyway, are they not more useful closer to residential areas than shops and offices?

PS: I have heard only postive comments about Boyneside so far, but it's a classic gym, no pool / sauna etc.

I've been a member of boyneside and it's a excellent gym … full of the best equipment and I believe they are a crossfit affiliate now.

Unapproved is a bodybuilder dominated gym .. has good equipment but I've never trained there. You also have the small niche Laoch Barbell in the middle of the town .. but that is predominantly powerlifting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭blingrhino

New gym opening first floor drogheda town centre .

entrance been constucted at present.

cant get much more central than that !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

whippet wrote: »
    Unapproved is a bodybuilder dominated gym .. has good equipment but I've never trained there. You also have the small niche Laoch Barbell in the middle of the town .. but that is predominantly powerlifting

Thats interesting I had never heard of laoch, it looks like personal training for powerlifting alright.

I'm a member of unapproved, I like it there, nice atmosphere, plenty of friendly people about. Its open long hours due to finger scanning entry, so it doesn't require staff to be there. Owner is sound. You pay cash monthly.

If I was to move anywhere else it would be Boyneside, the guy who runs it is also sound and very knowledgeable. If the focus is competing in any physical sport this would probably be your best bet.

I've been a member of all the big gyms on the outskirts at some stage and they're all the same really.If you need a pool just pick the closest one to where you live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Thats interesting I had never heard of laoch, it looks like personal training for powerlifting alright.

Laoch isn't just powerlifting but that would be it's main focus and the equipment there is focused towards it.

Boyneside is an awesome just alright .. I might have to pop in to Unapproved some day to have a look

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Its open long hours due to finger scanning entry, so it doesn't require staff to be there

Any more info on that? (like what hours you can use it from/to).

A 24hr gym would be great, I reckon.

Advertisement