Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting my garden again

Options
  • 20-08-2018 10:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

Is this a good or bad time to pull it apart and start all over or should I wait until spring? I'm fed up with my overgrown and very weedy garden. 'Garden' is a laughable description, more like a jungle. I have a few very good shrubs which I will keep of course but the rest I will tear out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The best time to do it is when the mood is on you!

Pull it apart and get rid of the rubbish, then when spring comes and you want to get going on it it will be mostly done and you will not have to spend too many windy, chilly days trying to sort it, just a re-weed and tidy and you can get on with the more interesting part of planting it.

Are you doing major re-planning or just an indepth tidy?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,521 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

we're going to be replacing our windows in the next 6 weeks - we live facing onto a busy road - and it's going to give me the oportunity to rip up the front garden which came with the house and put in something i will prefer.
    apart from the timing of the windows going in, i'm inclined to wait a few months; buying plants in october or february, they'll still look the same in feb...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Thanks both. I think Looksee is spot on firstly, I'm better off doing it when I'm in the mood which is rare, and the reason its in such a bad condition now. But I was thinking of clearing the mess out, leaving my few lovely shrubs, and covering the rest of the ground with the black fabric over the winter and hopefully it might be ok to start planting in the spring. Because I'm such a bad gardener am considering no-dig. What do ye think, friends? Also want a little patch for some veg.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes you could do that, but remember that when you cut down the weeds you will be scattering loads of weed seeds which will pop up as soon as you take off the plastic. That can't be helped though. Maybe cover it and get someone to dig or rotavate it in the spring? I think if you try and do anything with the very rooty messy surface you will be disappointed, and some very determined weeds will not be at all discouraged by being covered - bindweed thrives on it, and scutch. Then again, rotavating bindweed and scutch is not a good idea either. Digging and de-rooting is the best way, sadly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I doubt my poor old knees will hold up to much digging these days, and hubby's are no better either. Ah well, we'll do what we can, and if that isn't much we'll just have to get a man in. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement