Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How are 3 teams so dominant in inter county hurling over such a sustained period of t

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

In football I don't think picking up the odd provincial title in 100+ years where you only have 6 counties in Munster, 5 in Connacht, 9 in Ulster and 12 in Leinster represents any modicum of success at all.

Considering 1 or 2 all Ireland semis or an odd provincial win over that long period of time is more akin to throwing sh*t at a wall and getting lucky that a bit sticks than any indicator of success

Can't claim it makes for a balanced playing field at all.

Nobody is claiming a balanced playing field.

For a county like Leitrim with less than 30,000 people to win a Connacht title is an incredible achievement considering the difference in size and resources between them and Mayo/Galway is vast. Its akin to say St Mirren winning the Scottish League title ahead of Celtic and Rangers.

Monaghan with 5,000 adult males between the ages of 18 and 34 just reached an Ireland semi final.

My point as others have stated in Gaelic football its more likely for more counties to claim provincial success, reach latter stages of the championship or achieve underage and club success than it would be in hurling where all those accolades are shared among 10-11 counties year in year out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

I don't know what it's like in other counties but go around kilkenny and you'll always see kids with a hurl in their hand, in the schools, in the fields, on the streets.. it sounds like a cliche but it's the truth

we could get away in school with leaving your sack at home, but not your hurley, bateing a tennis ball up the road and home again was where the skills were learnt, hitting the "children crossing" sign from 30/40 yards was considered kids stuff before you were in second year.We may have been as thick as the wall, but by gasus we could hit the wall.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

conor05 wrote: »

The underage structures in Limerick are top class and playing numbers in Limerick underage are massive.
    Majority of that team last week won AI titles with Ard Scoil Ris and Fitzgibbon cups with Mary I and UL.

I think that environment in Limerick coupled with kids seeing success now at Under 21 and Senior can keep Limerick in the mix big time over the next 10-15 years!

I wouldn’t directly question what you are saying about Limerick and playing numbers as I wouldn’t know the facts but your referencing of an All Ireland title for Ard Scoil Ris (they have never won one) would suggest your own remarks are loose enough. But when Kilkenny were going well we were told too that there was no end to their talent and hurlers were falling out of the trees. Likewise Galway after last year were the next big thing as were Clare in 2013. Everyone looks unassailable in the immediate glow of victory. Doesn’t always work out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Kilkenny, Tipperary, Cork

Sorry if this has been discussed before but after the final yesterday I went looking up the roll of honor. Those 3 teams have won the vast vast majority of finals over the years. Limerick are fourth most successful in the country with 8 wins. You would imagine teams/counties would rise and fall but these 3 are so dominant throughout the history of the GAA.

Kilkenny are the only irish county that dont compete in the SFC and only two counties have made it to double figures.

Kerry 37 and Dublin 27.

Advertisement