Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you take electives with a schedule conflict?

Options
  • 21-08-2018 8:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

I'm a 3rd year Electrical Engineer and was registering today. I want to take Algorithmic Problem Solving (COMP10030) but found one of its lectures is on at the same time as one of my core modules. I don't really mind this as I've never really found lectures to be the best way of learning for me so I would still like to take the module. While registering, the system still let me pick it but I'm wondering will there be problems down the road with this, and will I even be allowed take the module?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Nope, you can't take two classes that are timetabled at the same time.

It's unusual that the system let you pick it. Usually it doesn't. Maybe it's because you're choosing it as an elective, as anyone who chooses a module as an elective go into a 'hat' and the places are then allocated.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

found one of its lectures is on at the same time as one of my core modules

Some of the module coordinators and administrators are a bit sloppy when it comes to distinguishing between lectures, practicals and tutorials/seminars.

If it's genuinely a lecture, then the answer is "no". One of the many reasons for this is that that's taken into account when scheduling exams, as modules with the same lecture times are more likely to have exam times overlap as well (for obvious reasons).

If one of those slots is, in fact, a tutorial instead, then this changes things entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kronnn

If there is a genuine schedule conflict, i.e. both modules have parts that you're expected to attend at the same time then no you can't pick it, you can't really be in two places at once. On the other hand if one or both of the things are optional, offered in more than one timeslot, on different weeks etc then probably.
    Your best bet would be contact your program office and ask them if it's ok /possible to take the module combination you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,926 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Sorry for hijacking, but my issue is related. I've a couple of WX grades from last year, due to illness. When I went to re-register for them this week, I find that the timetable has changed and lectures for the modules now clash. Still waiting on the program office to respond, but I'm guessing I'm shit outta luck, and I'll have to drop one of them completely and do something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 TheOneWhoDraws

It is certainly possible to take both, but you would need permission from your programme office (the head of your programme is also likely necessary to okay it) and the module co-ordinators to allow it.

Last year this situation occurred with an option module I wished to take (alternatives were available) and a core module where the lectures overlapped. Speaking to the head of my programme and then going to the programme office resulted in me being able to do both modules even though there was a clash between a 'mandatory' component of both modules, so long as I got the okay from both module coordinators.

• Advertisement
Advertisement