Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back acne

Options
  • 21-08-2018 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

I have suffered from back acne since my teenage years (now nearing 30).

It has been particularly bad for the last 3/4 months with large spots constantly around the shoulders area and loads of little spots around the inner back.

I have tried all types of creams etc. I have also got some back acne 'facial' type treatments in beauticians but nothing has made a difference.

I was wondering if anyone has any advise on another route I could take?

Should I visit a dermatologist? Is laser treatment recommended?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

I would stop wasting money on treatments from beauticians and go to see a dermatologist. 
    There are a lot of good, medicated products available but most of them need a consultation/prescription. 
    The warm weather over the past few months may have made things worse, so make sure you're wearing natural fibers so that your skin can breathe.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Sarah1916

Thank you for your response. I have made a dermatologist appointment for this week and hopefully it is something they can help me with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Have you been to your GP to discuss it?
    It could have a hormonal basis such as PCOS or something like that.

Dermatologist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

I got a referal for a dermatologist in the hermitage. Dr sandra kirke. I only developed acne in the 30's. On face and back. I now manage it with lycerol and skinoren cream. Looks like i could be on It for life. Have been on It for 2 years now.

If its only your back dont worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

I

If its only your back dont worry about it.
    Not sure thats very helpful - I wouldn't want acne anywhere on my body. Assuming the OP doesnt want to be self conscious in summer or wearing swimwear etc.
    Your GP/Dermatologist can almost definitely sort this for you. The reason I'd suggest a Dermatologist is that I think you'll do better going to someone who deals with issues like this regularly, rather than a GP where I'd say some might not take you as seriously. There is basically no need to put up with acne in this day and age, so be it topical treatments or medication, I'd be seriously surprised if they can't dramatically improve this for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

Glad you're going to dermatologist. Acne anywhere can be so uncomfortable and irritating.

There's so many good treatments nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

SozBbz wrote: »
    Not sure thats very helpful - I wouldn't want acne anywhere on my body. Assuming the OP doesnt want to be self conscious in summer or wearing swimwear etc.
    Your GP/Dermatologist can almost definitely sort this for you. The reason I'd suggest a Dermatologist is that I think you'll do better going to someone who deals with issues like this regularly, rather than a GP where I'd say some might not take you as seriously. There is basically no need to put up with acne in this day and age, so be it topical treatments or medication, I'd be seriously surprised if they can't dramatically improve this for you.

Fair enough but you are talking prescribed medication for a long period. The dermatologist may diagnose differently though.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Sarah1916

Thanks for all of the replies.

And yes, I am grateful it is not on my face. However I am still very self conscious about it as it is on full show when in the gym etc. and during the Summer months whilst wearing light clothing. It was bearable for years as it was only a small few spots but it has significantly increased lately to the point it affects what clothes I can wear.

Hopefully the dermatologist can help improve it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

I used to get this in my teens/early 20’s and was advised to bend forward when washing/rinsing my hair so that the shampoo/conditioner doesn’t touch my back/shoulders. I was dubious but had tried loads of other things with no success so gave it a go and haven’t had a spot on my back or shoulders since.

Worth a shot, sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jugapuga

Sarah1916 wrote: »
    Thanks for all of the replies.

And yes, I am grateful it is not on my face. However I am still very self conscious about it as it is on full show when in the gym etc. and during the Summer months whilst wearing light clothing. It was bearable for years as it was only a small few spots but it has significantly increased lately to the point it affects what clothes I can wear.

Hopefully the dermatologist can help improve it.

HI,

did you go to dermatologist? May i ask you which one did you choose and did they help with your acne?

• Advertisement
Advertisement