Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So angry, needed to vent...

Options
  • 21-08-2018 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Yesterday on the way home from work at around 6.45 I mounted the cycle path at Quinn's pup in Drumcondra heading up Drumcondra road towards Santry.

I saw ahead of me a group of 5 or 6 lads screaming and roaring at another cyclist a bit ahead of me....here we go...I put the head down to power past them.
    Only one of these lads tried to grab at my bag and pull me off my bike, while another swung at me and I was lucky to get my head down and take the strike on the helmet instead of the face. I wobbled on and came off the bike a meter or so up the path.

I turned to confront what I assumed was a group of young teen idiots and leat roar a "what the f*** are you playing at" only to see that what I thought had been a group of teens were more like mid 20s(plus!).

I got every profanity and threat known to man flung at me and I stupidly gave back as good as I got which enraged one lad in paticular...one of the older lads pulled the main offender back while he roared "your lucky he's here to stop me" blahh blaaah the usual hardman rubbish from the runt of the litter trying to look hard in front of all the lads.

You swear the way they reacted to me standing my ground I had instigated this whole situation.

Anyway, I'm just ranting, its been bugging me since it happened, and in broad daylight no less. I guess the point is to stay safe out there and keep an eye out around the Drumcondra area for a different kind of filth in the cycle path than we are used to.

Makes me wish I cycled with a camera for what little good it would have done.

I really hope that they didn't go on and harass anyone else.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭aristotle25

No CCTV around you could get the Gardai to check ?

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭og2k7

opentarget wrote: »
    Yesterday on the way home from work at around 6.45 I mounted the cycle path at Quinn's pup in Drumcondra heading up Drumcondra road towards Santry.

I saw ahead of me a group of 5 or 6 lads screaming and roaring at another cyclist a bit ahead of me....here we go...I put the head down to power past them.
    Only one of these lads tried to grab at my bag and pull me off my bike, while another swung at me and I was lucky to get my head down and take the strike on the helmet instead of the face. I wobbled on and came off the bike a meter or so up the path.

I turned to confront what I assumed was a group of young teen idiots and leat roar a "what the f*** are you playing at" only to see that what I thought had been a group of teens were more like mid 20s(plus!).

I got every profanity and threat known to man flung at me and I stupidly gave back as good as I got which enraged one lad in paticular...one of the older lads pulled the main offender back while he roared "your lucky he's here to stop me" blahh blaaah the usual hardman rubbish from the runt of the litter trying to look hard in front of all the lads.

You swear the way they reacted to me standing my ground I had instigated this whole situation.

Anyway, I'm just ranting, its been bugging me since it happened, and in broad daylight no less. I guess the point is to stay safe out there and keep an eye out around the Drumcondra area for a different kind of filth in the cycle path than we are used to.

One of the reasons I got the camera last year to be honest, had it mounted on the handlebars until recently, but moved it to the helmet: gives more recording flexibility (you look like a knob though). Will see how this goes

Even with the footage not sure what the Gardai would do though in your case

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭opentarget

No CCTV around you could get the Gardai to check ?

I guess there would be closer to the pub but up Drumcondra road is residential.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

very apt username OP

Im not sure the Guards would do anything at all, while It was a big shock when it happened I wasn't overly hurt....and ye know....what would actually happen to them if there were charges brought, nothing at all as usual so a waste of my time and the Guards time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

I strongly recommend getting a camera on your helmet. They are cheap these days. I will not cycle without one after an incident earlier this year. Report everything. The rage you are feeling is because you suddenly realised you can't defend yourself. You can sort that out with a bit of hard work and some determination. These little scrotes know who can / can't defend themselves - they are the same the world over.

I'm looking into some cameras now, I'm open to recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Im not sure the Guards would do anything at all, while It was a big shock when it happened I wasn't overly hurt....and ye know....what would actually happen to them if there were charges brought, nothing at all as usual so a waste of my time and the Guards time.

Assault is assault.

No - if you were hit on the head then that's assault. If you had video footage of it happening, it's likely the Gardai would be recommending the DPP to press charges as long as you are a reliable witness. Even if you don't have video footage (but for example had a name, reg number etc) then you could still get a prosecution. Report everything like this - be persistent with the Gardai. Expect a result. There seems to be a running theme on boards about what a waste of time it is to report these things to the Gardai. I don't believe it is a waste of time and further, I refuse to accept that mentality.

And I forgot to say - sorry to hear that happened to you opentarget. You'll be over it in no time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Go and report it to the Garda station of the area it happened in.

Don't be ashamed to speak about it.

You could have very easily been knocked the wrong way ended up with serious issues or even killed.

Could have fell under a car or bus for example.

We're there any buses passing as the CCTV would pick up the offenders but this would need to be done fast as footage only lasts 3 days.

Shops, pubs even private homes along the way may have CCTV.

@steamsey
    Your dead right to be fair, assault is exactly what it was. I was lucky enough that I got the head down and took the strike on the helmet and to be fair I have plenty of experience in my non-cycling hobbies of taking a smack and a tumble. Another person might not have been so lucky.

I will be investing in a camera and touch wood I wont have any need of it in future. Its a joke the abuse that cyclists get while simply going about their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

Isn't this half the problem with country. You shouldn't feel like your wasting your time reporting and they should be severely punished for what they did. Until people realise that actions have consequences they are going to keep acting the same way, a bit of respect is all people want.

Looks like I'm ranting now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Radio5

Just to clarify you don't need to be hit or struck for there to be an assault.

Non-Fatal Offences Against the Person Act, 1997
    • View by Section
    • View Full Act
    • Commencement, Amendments, SIs made under the Act
    • Revised Act

Assault. 2.—(1) A person shall be guilty of the offence of assault who, without lawful excuse, intentionally or recklessly—
    (a) directly or indirectly applies force to or causes an impact on the body of another, or
    (b) causes another to believe on reasonable grounds that he or she is likely immediately to be subjected to any such force or impact,
    without the consent of the other.
    (2) In subsection (1) (a), “force” includes—
    (a) application of heat, light, electric current, noise or any other form of energy, and
    (b) application of matter in solid liquid or gaseous form.
    (3) No such offence is committed if the force or impact, not being intended or likely to cause injury, is in the circumstances such as is generally acceptable in the ordinary conduct of daily life and the defendant does not know or believe that it is in fact unacceptable to the other person.
    (4) A person guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding £1,500 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months or to both.

Isn't this half the problem with country. You shouldn't feel like your wasting your time reporting and they should be severely punished for what they did. Until people realise that actions have consequences they are going to keep acting the same way, a bit of respect is all people want.

Looks like I'm ranting now.

I agree, there is a feeling that nothing would happen, you read all the time about crazy leniant sentancing for serious crimes, and something as comparatively trivial as what happened to me yesterday more than likely would go absolutely nowhere...its not to say it shouldn't be reported at the very least.

For the most part, I don't even want a bit of respect of other road users...for the most part I just want to just be let alone to go about my own business without having to deal with drivers coming to close, or cutting me off or speeding past at mad speeds...and now groups of idiots acting the pr1ck in cycle paths!

FWIW I use an old Go Pro Hero - works a treat. There are plenty of options these days and I'd say if you have a browse around the cycling forum someone has already made some good recommendations for cheap and cheerful ones that do the job. Mine is helmet mounted - so if there is an interaction, it's all right there. Handlebar mounting might be more discreet / less gammy looking but it's you, not your bike that's going to get assaulted.

Give them the Superman treatment.

A good close look at some Kryptonite.

If you give them a good hard look, they won’t Fahgettaboudit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭bmc58

I turned to confront what I assumed was a group of young teen idiots and leat roar a "what the f*** are you playing at" only to see that what I thought had been a group of teens were more like mid 20s(plus

What's a "cycle path"? Is that a footpath?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

bmc58 wrote: »

God, if there was ever a loaded question...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

the footpath after Quinn's pub heading north is divided into two with space allocated for cyclists on the right and pedestrians on the left. It's not perfect but it takes you off a nasty stretch of road

• Advertisement

I would have thought that to be self-explanatory?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Its the part of the road that cars, trucks and vans use when they need to park for 5 or 10 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Edgy.

Good luck with your Junior Cert results.

Reati wrote: »
    God, if there was ever a loaded question...

Sorry to disappoint you,but I really didn't know what a cycle path was.I know cycle lanes but never heard of cycle paths.

riemann wrote: »
    Edgy.

Good luck with your Junior Cert results.

Passed them and my Leaving many moons ago.

amcalester wrote: »
    Its the part of the road that cars, trucks and vans use when they need to park for 5 or 10 minutes.

How can you cycle on it then with all these vehicles parked on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

OP what was the row about? We’re they not happy with cyclists on the path?

07Lapierre wrote: »
    OP what was the row about? We’re they not happy with cyclists on the path?

There was no row about being on the path, the path is separated for cyclists and pedestrians, I wasn't on the path per say.

They were literally trying to pull me off the bike for the "fun" of it, there was a cyclist ahead of me that go similar harassment but got away with only verbal abuse and it escalated in the seconds it to for me to get to them.

I don't think they were even trying to rob my bike, they literally wanted to cause me to come off and have a laugh.

Some lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

There was no row about being on the path, the path is separated for cyclists and pedestrians, I wasn't on the path per say.

They were literally trying to pull me off the bike for the "fun" of it, there was a cyclist ahead of me that go similar harassment but got away with only verbal abuse and it escalated in the seconds it to for me to get to them.

I don't think they were even trying to rob my bike, they literally wanted to cause me to come off and have a laugh.

Some lads.

I remember having rocks thrown at me once passing a group of lads. Missed me by a tiny margin. Big ****ers of rocks too.

It's just peacocking at it's finest. All the lads trying to impress each other with no regard to the person who was unlucky to pass at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭og2k7

I'm looking into some cameras now, I'm open to recommendations.

I got this bad boy: on the cheap to see if it works : think the size is GoPro just for 25 quid.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XNQD1RT/

Advertisement