Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So angry, needed to vent...

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

bmc58 wrote: »
    How can you cycle on it then with all these vehicles parked on it?

Carefully.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

• Registered Users Posts: 18,571 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

opentarget wrote: »
    Yesterday on the way home from work at around 6.45 I mounted the cycle path at Quinn's pup in Drumcondra heading up Drumcondra road towards Santry.

I saw ahead of me a group of 5 or 6 lads screaming and roaring at another cyclist a bit ahead of me....here we go...I put the head down to power past them.
    Only one of these lads tried to grab at my bag and pull me off my bike, while another swung at me and I was lucky to get my head down and take the strike on the helmet instead of the face. I wobbled on and came off the bike a meter or so up the path.

I turned to confront what I assumed was a group of young teen idiots and leat roar a "what the f*** are you playing at" only to see that what I thought had been a group of teens were more like mid 20s(plus!).

I got every profanity and threat known to man flung at me and I stupidly gave back as good as I got which enraged one lad in paticular...one of the older lads pulled the main offender back while he roared "your lucky he's here to stop me" blahh blaaah the usual hardman rubbish from the runt of the litter trying to look hard in front of all the lads.

You swear the way they reacted to me standing my ground I had instigated this whole situation.

Anyway, I'm just ranting, its been bugging me since it happened, and in broad daylight no less. I guess the point is to stay safe out there and keep an eye out around the Drumcondra area for a different kind of filth in the cycle path than we are used to.

Makes me wish I cycled with a camera for what little good it would have done.

I really hope that they didn't go on and harass anyone else.

If you hadn’t mounted the pavement and kept cycling on the road should you have avoided them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Reporting it feeds into the Guards stats and means they will look for more manpower in the areas and more funding. I know nothing will come of this one incident but if everyone reported it something would have to be done. Maybe extra patrols in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

I'm looking into some cameras now, I'm open to recommendations.

Any camera will do. Those scumbags are not very picky on the camera models. As soon as they can find a new charger for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

There is no Gardai out there.....

We need them out stopping all these fool's....

The bike lock on handle bar is a great deterrent to be honest and always remember the bike itself can be used as a buffer to keep tools away.

Isn't this half the problem with country. You shouldn't feel like your wasting your time reporting and they should be severely punished for what they did.
    Well, for a person on the bail with 90+ previous convictions that would be the scariest thing:
    "Oh they caught me again, I'm shaking!"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭KevRossi

_Brian wrote: »
    If you hadn’t mounted the pavement and kept cycling on the road should you have avoided them ?

Then he'd be subject to the abuse of drivers. People should have the right to move around in freedom in this country.

I'm thinking the the incident happened on the stretch here. It's busy and narrow.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3636341,-6.2577787,3a,30.5y,13.56h,88.24t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s13DM0lv1RPmXafzpa19ufg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

JayZeus wrote: »
    Give them the Superman treatment.

A good close look at some Kryptonite.

If you give them a good hard look, they won’t Fahgettaboudit

I get the feeling you are trying to tell us something.

But it hasn't quite hit me yet.

Diemos wrote: »
    I get the feeling you are trying to tell us something.

But it hasn't quite hit me yet.

Krytonite lock to the face.....

That hit enough.

• Advertisement

That hit enough.

Kryptonite lock to the cretinous face...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Sorry for your troubles OP, getting attacked is always traumatic. Definitely report to the Gardaí, you may just save yourself or the next person having to deal with the same crap at some time in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

That hit enough.

I was being sarcastic..... maybe I should have used more smilies.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Lewotsil

_Brian wrote: »
    Yesterday on the way home from work at around 6.45 I mounted the cycle path at Quinn's pup in Drumcondra heading up Drumcondra road towards Santry.

I saw ahead of me a group of 5 or 6 lads screaming and roaring at another cyclist a bit ahead of me....here we go...I put the head down to power past them.
    Only one of these lads tried to grab at my bag and pull me off my bike, while another swung at me and I was lucky to get my head down and take the strike on the helmet instead of the face. I wobbled on and came off the bike a meter or so up the path.

I turned to confront what I assumed was a group of young teen idiots and leat roar a "what the f*** are you playing at" only to see that what I thought had been a group of teens were more like mid 20s(plus!).

I got every profanity and threat known to man flung at me and I stupidly gave back as good as I got which enraged one lad in paticular...one of the older lads pulled the main offender back while he roared "your lucky he's here to stop me" blahh blaaah the usual hardman rubbish from the runt of the litter trying to look hard in front of all the lads.

You swear the way they reacted to me standing my ground I had instigated this whole situation.

Anyway, I'm just ranting, its been bugging me since it happened, and in broad daylight no less. I guess the point is to stay safe out there and keep an eye out around the Drumcondra area for a different kind of filth in the cycle path than we are used to.

Makes me wish I cycled with a camera for what little good it would have done.

I really hope that they didn't go on and harass anyone else.

That road section is nasty - dark and taxis tend to fly up the bus lane after the invariable stop/start (red/green) nature of preceding Dorset St.

Diemos wrote: »
    I was being sarcastic..... maybe I should have used more smilies.:o

Sarcasm raidar was strong once but I just wasn't fully sure...... ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Lewotsil

@OP - sorry to hear about that -  definitely report it. I have had some terrific input from gardaí on stolen bikes and dangerous lorry driver.  Also worth reporting if only from a statistical stance - may drive cycling infrastructure, foot patrols.

+1 to definitely report- what gets measured gets actioned. You could be in the same position tomorrow- what then? For your future safety and that of other road/lane users, report it. Also, write an email to your local TD- pressure from a public representative might help getting a stronger beat presence in that area.

I won’t say well done on confronting them- I know how you felt at the time but please remember to get home in one piece at the end of the day- a bit of shock mixed with a bit of adrenelon can be a terrible mix in these situations- walk away tends to be the best policy overall- your ego might be dented but nothing else. :)

Advertisement