Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PPL Training in Limerick

Options
  • 21-08-2018 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Looking for some information about getting my PPL.
    I have always been fascinated by planes and flying and I am hoping to start my flying/ground school in the coming months. I live in Clare and the Limerick Flying Club would be my closest option. Has anyone gotten their PPL with this club (ground school and flying completed there)? 
    Would you recommend getting a PPL with the club?
    How much did it cost in the end?
    How long did it take to get your licence?
    Any info is appreciated! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

I did 15 hours in Weston when I lived in Dublin and then stopped once I went solo as I was saving for other stuff. When i moved back to Limerick one of the first things I did was join Limerick Flying Club.

I haven't done any flights yet as I'm still saving (sale agreed on a house) but there's plenty of activity in the club judging by the emails.

Last I heard, 1 hour is €120 which is half what I was paying in Weston.

It is a club though so you are expected to help out with the running of it. E.g they have a duty pilot rota system where you have to do a few hours every couple of weeks. It's worth it when you consider the savings though.

Be warned though that the runway is short and narrow and one side is pretty tight with a tree and a house (!!) so reaching the stage of being able to go solo will take longer than other airports where the runway is wider and easier.

Skip to 5 minutes here to see what I mean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekKptyzUzHc&t=179s

• Registered Users Posts: 18 darkonethree

Best bet is to head down some weekend for a visit and in the meantime give the CFI a call (details on their website) and book yourself to do an intro flying lesson. Coonagh is by far the cheapest club in the country to do your PPL with.

They operate two Tecnam P2002's. The onus is on you I'm afraid to get going... it's up to you how often you fly and therefore how long it will take.

The club charges 120/130 per hour for the aircraft including instructor (which is damn cheap!)
    You need a minimum of 40 or 45 hours I think to get the PPL
    The membership fee is about 275 for a year.

My suggestion is to join the club and go flying. Get your class-2 medical as soon as practical and then take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 km2806

John_Mc wrote: »
    I did 15 hours in Weston when I lived in Dublin and then stopped once I went solo as I was saving for other stuff. When i moved back to Limerick one of the first things I did was join Limerick Flying Club.

I haven't done any flights yet as I'm still saving (sale agreed on a house) but there's plenty of activity in the club judging by the emails.

Last I heard, 1 hour is €120 which is half what I was paying in Weston.

It is a club though so you are expected to help out with the running of it. E.g they have a duty pilot rota system where you have to do a few hours every couple of weeks. It's worth it when you consider the savings though.

Be warned though that the runway is short and narrow and one side is pretty tight with a tree and a house (!!) so reaching the stage of being able to go solo will take longer than other airports where the runway is wider and easier.

Skip to 5 minutes here to see what I mean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekKptyzUzHc&t=179s
    Thanks for the info, i actually called down on Saturday for a look and the place was very busy!
    Very lucky with the weather so was a bit jealous i didnt book my intro lesson. I have my first lesson this Saturday so really looking forward to that! As you said, the runway is very tight! i think if you can take off and land there you could manage it anywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

km2806 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info, i actually called down on Saturday for a look and the place was very busy!
    Very lucky with the weather so was a bit jealous i didnt book my intro lesson. I have my first lesson this Saturday so really looking forward to that! As you said, the runway is very tight! i think if you can take off and land there you could manage it anywhere!

Yeah exactly. There's a good community there as well.

Enjoy yourself and best of luck with the training!

Advertisement