Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short Term Lettings

Options
  • 21-08-2018 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

I currently let my apartment through a letting agent.The letting agent was/is the single point of contact for the tenant. The existing tenant is moving out at the end of August.

My plan is to sell the apartment, hopefully by the end of the calendar year. I do need to resolve some issues with management company before putting it on the market.

I'm looking therefore at a short-term letting, possibly on month by month basis or potentially a 4 month lease. Does anyone have any experience with short-term lettings? Any potential pitfalls or need to know?

The lettings to date have been long term, therefore I did not supply a TV. They would take out contract with Virgin Media for TV/broadband themselves, bring their own TV etc. The utilities (gas/electric) would be in the tenants name etc.

For a short-term arrangement, does this change? Does it effectively become a "serviced apartment". I've not looked into AirBnb, although I don't really want to get involved with renting by the week/weekend etc, I just simply wouldn't have the time to manage it.

Any advise or suggestions welcome.

B

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Pitfall = tenant will not move out.

Solution = Airbnb, just rent it at weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Use Airsorted to amanage the apartment through AirBnB. You will have to pay for utilities though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Enigma IE

Use Airsorted to amanage the apartment through AirBnB. You will have to pay for utilities though.

Thanks, I checked their website and it seems they don't cover Dublin 16 as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Advertise it as only a four month lease, you'd be surprised it could suit some people perfectly. I would leave the utilities issue up to the tenant to resolve and I would supply same items as before (ie no need to get a tv).

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭LotharIngum

Airsorted doesn't cover county Dublin either.

Is 6 months the max you can let for without having all of the red tape and risk involved.
    How would you go about advertising a let for 6 months? Just advertise it on Daft?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Enigma IE

There's a dedicated short term lettings section on daft.
    https://www.daft.ie/dublin/short-term-rentals/
    Airsorted doesn't cover county Dublin either.

Is 6 months the max you can let for without having all of the red tape and risk involved.
    How would you go about advertising a let for 6 months? Just advertise it on Daft?

Advertisement