Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a Bike

Options
  • 21-08-2018 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Looking to take advantage of the cycle to work scheme. Budget would be €800 - €1000 inclusive of any accessories that I might need.

Would be using the bike for commuting to and from work 5 day a week and maybe on the weekends.

Looking for people recommendations on makes and models that I should be looking at and shops in cork that are on the scheme.

Also I am 5ft 10" average build.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭halvis

You mention that you will be riding at the weekends. Will this be alone or with a club? Most clubs ride road type bikes and you would need something along these lines in order to keep up. This may mean you go way over budget though.

If speed isn't an issue then commuting is your main concern and I would advise something that will take at least 32mm tyres with mudguards.

Then you need to consider if you prefer drop or straight handlebars. Drop are more flexible as they give you plenty of different positions to ride in, but straight give a more stable and upright ride which you may prefer if just starting out.

You may also want to fit a rack if having to carry stuff to work?

As well as the bike you will need a helmet at the very least, high viz and good lights (which could be nearly €100 for a good rechargeable pair). Then perhaps think about waterproof jacket and overshoes, another €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

halvis wrote: »
    You mention that you will be riding at the weekends. Will this be alone or with a club? Most clubs ride road type bikes and you would need something along these lines in order to keep up. This may mean you go way over budget though.

If speed isn't an issue then commuting is your main concern and I would advise something that will take at least 32mm tyres with mudguards.

Then you need to consider if you prefer drop or straight handlebars. Drop are more flexible as they give you plenty of different positions to ride in, but straight give a more stable and upright ride which you may prefer if just starting out.

You may also want to fit a rack if having to carry stuff to work?

As well as the bike you will need a helmet at the very least, high viz and good lights (which could be nearly €100 for a good rechargeable pair). Then perhaps think about waterproof jacket and overshoes, another €100.

I think your pricing of the accessories needed when starting out is out of whack.

In my mind you should spend the bike to work scheme money on the bike mainly, and pick up the essentials at the start and add as you need.

Something like this:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/cube-attain-pro-disc-road-bike-2018/rp-prod165710

For the bike. The groupset isn't the greatest, but it is serviceable imo. A helmet and a set of lights would be had easily for the remaining change. You should be able to get something equivalent in a bike shop here tbh. Oh you'd also need a good lock (or preferably two), so that might add a bit on top (70 quid or so),

Keep in mind that going from no cycling, to doing it 5 days a week could be a bit steep of a learning curve. It'll be tough going, I'd say aim lower for starts and then you can see how you fair after a time. Although you haven't mentioned how far a cycle it is.

It might be a good idea to go to your local bike shop and have a chat with them. Most are very helpful and can give you a good idea of what bikes are available.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭halvis

Regarding the lights, I would consider something like this the absolute minimum for commuting - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/lezyne-hecto-400l-strip-150l-pair/rp-prod163226

Which, granted, is only just over €50, but I would want better. It's still a sizeable chunk either way.

However, I agree, put most of the bike to work money towards the bike as you will get better value.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

halvis wrote: »
    Regarding the lights, I would consider something like this the absolute minimum for commuting - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/lezyne-hecto-400l-strip-150l-pair/rp-prod163226

Which, granted, is only just over €50, but I would want better. It's still a sizeable chunk either way.

However, I agree, put most of the bike to work money towards the bike as you will get better value.

Yeah that's a good deal on the lights. And what people need for lights depends on the commute tbh. Unlit roads vs urban lit streets have different needs. The above would probably cover both situations just about to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

• Advertisement
Advertisement