Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Devil May Cry 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I don't have enough fingers to play Dante.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I don't have enough fingers to play Dante.

How some people change styles like they do just blows my mind. I guess many videos I've seen are likely PC, so might be easier to actually input. But at the same time the combos they pull off changing styles and weapons like they do can be mind-blowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭da gamer

Completed this, have to say I found it one of the poorest games of the series. I'd have 1, 2 and the dmc re imagining game ahead of this. Very short game and it gets repetitive quickly.

• Penn wrote: »
    Started Son of Sparda mode last night. Did the prologue and Mission 1. Nothing too hard so far anyway. Some enemies are very tank-y though.

Can't see V's missions being a lot of fun when it comes to it.

I'm doing same. Just completed the first V mission. I died on the Boss and used a gold orb. All in all the first 5 levels haven't been too taxing. But again I've powered up everyone considerably from my first play-through.

• da gamer wrote: »
    Completed this, have to say I found it one of the poorest games of the series. I'd have 1, 2 and the dmc re imagining game ahead of this. Very short game and it gets repetitive quickly.

LOL DMC2...ok :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Penn wrote: »
    How some people change styles like they do just blows my mind. I guess many videos I've seen are likely PC, so might be easier to actually input. But at the same time the combos they pull off changing styles and weapons like they do can be mind-blowing.

They got gud

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah the level design has really sapped my enthusiasm for this. The complex, satisfying combat just about pushes me through, but after the first few levels the environments are just a repetitive, joyless slog (I still have the last three or four missions to complete, so maybe it improves again). Something like Bayonetta matches the superb fighting with cool environments and setpieces, and this really struggles in comparison.

Playing a few hours of Sekiro and while it’s a very different style of game I’m already fascinated to see the next sights the game has to offer. No such joy with this one. A real shame, as again the core mechanics sing: if only the rest of the game was as carefully and thoughtfully designed.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭da gamer

LOL DMC2...ok :pac:

Whats so funny about that?

• da gamer wrote: »
    Whats so funny about that?

It's a terrible game. The worst in the series on so many levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

I actually appreciate the straightforward level design. Little to no filler and gets straight to the point which is doubly appreciated on SoS and DMD replays

But the environment variety is terrible and everything blend into an RE-engine gloomy soup. That's my biggest disappointment with 5. But it's the only major criticism I have really.

I feel like they took the criticism against DMC4's backtracking a bit too hard cause I wouldn't have minded having fewer locations if they all looked a bit better. The art style here reminds me of DMC2 a bit. Once you leave Not London it's like you're fighting in a bunch of Dark souls II levels

• Advertisement

Still battling through Son of Sparda mode. Unfortunately I just can't escape how mixed I am about V's combat. My hand feels numb after most fights because it's just too awkward to fight with both Griffon and Shadow at the same time, and because you have less control over them as you're trying to move yourself about the place too, you do need to fight with both at the same time. It becomes really difficult to pull off particular moves with them. Nightmare does huge damage, but he's incredibly slow and hard to maneuver, especially when you're on his back, most of the time I end up swinging punches in the wrong direction.

That said, I'm loving Nero's combat in the game more than ever. The Devil Breakers are fantastic and really open up his playstyle. I've even found myself focusing more now on movement ones like Gerbera rather than damage, and while I'm not great at the timing for Exceed and mostly end up mashing L2, when you do hit it right it absolutely shreds. Plus getting his
    Devil Trigger and Buster
    opens up his damage/combos even further.
    Though I keep exploding Devil Breakers when trying to go into DT. Might see about switching the buttons for them if possible.

Dante is Dante. His
    Sin Devil Trigger
    is a lot of fun, but other than that he's just as fun as ever to play as. That said, disappointed with Balrog. I almost would have preferred the fists and boots to be different weapons, as switching between them accidentally, or finding it difficult to purposely switch when you want to can be annoying.

Finished Son of Sparda. Had been thinking of trying Dante Must Die mode, as I only had to use a few Gold Orbs here and there for bosses, and still had nearly 40 of them left.

Then came the last two missions. Heh heh... Nope. Not a chance I'm trying that on DMD. F*ck that sh*t!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

da gamer wrote: »
    I thought it was an absolutely fantastic return to form for the series, ok ill admit the environments are slightly dull with DMC1 having the best ( but they did fly to team to Europe to study the architecture for 1 ).
    In my view:
    DMC3>DMC1>DMC5>DMC4>DmC( ughh )>DMC2( which is crap )
    Combat in DMC5 is in general better than all of the others, DMC1 is getting clunky at this stage but i still really like it.
    I never found it repetitive as the game progresses because of adding new moves or weapons per level.
    I also thought the story was great, considering the older ones are cringe inducing but that adds to the outlandish nature of the game.

That list order is very close to mine, except I think DmC is better than 4 (which is barely a good game imo)

I don't find this repetitive at all either cause there's so much to learn. It took me an entire playthrough to work out Dante's Balrog and even longer to get the hang of swapping multiple weapons and styles. Which once you get good at all that stuff then the higher difficulties turn it all into an entirely new game with the added challenge and enemy mixup.

But I think 5 doesn't hold up to something like 3 which did such a great job at escalating things narratively and reflecting it via the fights with Vergil. 5 is very messy in comparison.

My order is

DMC3>DMC4:SE>DMC5>DMC1>>>>DmC>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DMC2

The standard edition of 4 and DMC5 could be interchangeable, but DMC4:SE with Vergil, Trish & Lady would beat DMC5. DMC4 had a lot of problems, some fairly unforgiveable. But on the whole, I enjoyed the absolute hell out of it. The level design (backtracking notwithstanding) was some of the best in the series, the enemies and bosses were varied and looked great, the story was mostly alright, and the combat was terrific. Took a while to warm to Nero, especially with only having the same weapons throughout, but the Devil Bringer added a lot to it once you got used to it. Dante's weapons were also a lot of fun. The Special Edition with Vergil then just made the whole thing amazing. I absolutely love Vergil's combat.

DMC5 definitely has its issues too, but I think it'd just edge out DMC1 for me.

DMC3 rules all though. The perfect DMC game.

DMC2 can f*ck right off.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Finished it there.

It's pretty CUH-RAYZEE but the last few levels do fall off a bit.
    Will give this another go on Son of Sparda difficulty though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

I enjoyed it but I really thought it ended before it ever probably got going. I guess in a day where a lot of AAA games are giving us 20-25 hour playthroughs at a minimum it was probably only maybe 10-12 for me, so maybe that's why. But I felt like I barely had any time to get to grips with all the new skills and weapons that were being thrown at me before it was over.

• Cina wrote: »
    I enjoyed it but I really thought it ended before it ever probably got going. I guess in a day where a lot of AAA games are giving us 20-25 hour playthroughs at a minimum it was probably only maybe 10-12 for me, so maybe that's why. But I felt like I barely had any time to get to grips with all the new skills and weapons that were being thrown at me before it was over.

By design, it's meant to be replayed at varying difficulty.
    I'm happy that the campaign isn't bloated.

Cina wrote: »

Yeah some weapons I never used in my first playthrough. Only with subsequent playthroughs and harder difficulties am I getting more used to a lot of them. Have definitely switched up my playstyle a bit in doing so, which has helped keep things fresh.

Bloody Palace is where a lot of future hours are going to go into though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

By design, it's meant to be replayed at varying difficulty.
    I'm happy that the campaign isn't bloated.
    Fair, I'm not really one for 'replaying' though, unless it's a few years later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Against my own better judgement, I did decide to go for DMD mode. F*ck it's tough. Most of the time isn't too bad, some enemies are pure tanks but it's usually manageable. But some areas you get thrown in with 4 Riots and they just demolish you from all sides. Plus in Mission 7 when I was playing as Nero and was supposed to be fighting the Angelo's with someone playing V, they either left or died and didn't want to use an orb (possibly going for an S rank) and left me to deal with them all on my own. That fight took ages.

Getting through it, but definitely not looking forward to some of the later missions. King Cerberus and the last two fights always crush me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Tried bloody palace this morning, got to stage 60 but lost my concentration on cavaliere angelo and took a beating. It's fun and has a nice difficulty curve.

Tried Bloody Palace last night up to Level 20 with Nero. Really enjoyed it, though had to quit to do something else and didn't bother saving my progress for it. Want to keep going with DMD first, get it out of the way.

Had done Dante's first mission in DMD before it. Mostly cheesed it with Dr.Faust and Balrog's uppercut (and rapid punches to parry Fury's attacks). Still died once but I'm finding that's par for the course on DMD.

I got to floor 60 with Nero. Had to practice Cavalier Angelo a lot, I generally just royal guard it with Dante but with Nero you have to parry everything.

Got to floor 87 with V which surprised me cause he's my least favourite of the three. But I think that I properly understand the character now. Previously I was trying to hit a high number of action-per-minute but that's not really how you're supposed to play him at all. There's a lot of careful setup and coordination required, at least with boss fights anyway. A well placed skewer can destroy Cavalier Angelo's shield, which leaves him open to Nightmare lasers etc.

On higher difficulties it's got this feeling of a dance with death where your familiars can be killed super easily and you have to walk into the fray of things reading poetry to get DT to revive them. It's weirdly edge of seat stuff.

But Nero is my favourite incarnation of the character action genre. His movement and the focus on deliberate timing is so enjoyable.

I'm finding the DMD playthrough a drag tho. Too much of the second half of the game reminds me of Lost Izalith on Dark Souls. Yet again Dante's levels get hit with the **** stick.

I got to floor 60 with Nero. Had to practice Cavalier Angelo a lot, I generally just royal guard it with Dante but with Nero you have to parry everything.

Got to floor 87 with V which surprised me cause he's my least favourite of the three. But I think that I properly understand the character now. Previously I was trying to hit a high number of action-per-minute but that's not really how you're supposed to play him at all. There's a lot of careful setup and coordination required, at least with boss fights anyway. A well placed skewer can destroy Cavalier Angelo's shield, which leaves him open to Nightmare lasers etc.

On higher difficulties it's got this feeling of a dance with death where your familiars can be killed super easily and you have to walk into the fray of things reading poetry to get DT to revive them. It's weirdly edge of seat stuff.

I find most of the time with V I end up holding Square to charge up a Griffon attack while just hammering Triangle, throwing some movement of the left stick in to vary the attacks for both. I can't seem to consistently choose what attacks they do, whether I'm getting the directional inputs wrong or because I'm trying to attack with both.

Watched a decent tips video about Nero last night where one of the main takeaways was the tip to switch R2 and Square for Nero, so you can constantly be charging up Blue Rose while attacking (as the full charge shot can do huge damage), and his R2 attack tends to be used less often or not in tandem with other attacks anyway. Haven't gotten a chance to try it out yet. Might do the same for V as it'll make attacking with Triangle and R2 easier than Triangle and Square.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,792 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Bought this ages ago. For more than I needed to as well considering CD Keys were selling it for less than Steam. Great start anyway. Don't think I've ever seen Dante get such a spanking in a cutscene before.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Only got to 24 on my first go at Bloody Palace this morning (as Dante). Breezed through each level, including the first boss, then randomly died extremely quickly to one of those Queen Bug things.

I think I'm going to remove Cavalier from rotation, it hasn't clicked with me at all and whenever I try to use it I just get caught out and hit during an overly slow combo. Cerberus is probably my favourite weapon, really versatile and satisfying for crowd control.

Don't think I've ever seen Dante get such a spanking in a cutscene before.

tumblr_ndoatyU5Tz1qfyt19o1_500.gif

I got repeatedly and thoroughly decimated in DMD Level 12 last night. Died 5 times in that one mission; three times to the room with two Furys, once to the Queen Empusa who grabbed me (had no DT to get out of it) and once to Urizen as I gambled on trying to charge up Red Hot Night.

Going to keep pushing through as I'd love to unlock the super costumes, but man it's tough going. The mix of enemies in some areas can just be a royal pain in the hole.

• Advertisement

A Neurotic wrote: »
    I think I'm going to remove Cavalier from rotation, it hasn't clicked with me at all and whenever I try to use it I just get caught out and hit during an overly slow combo. Cerberus is probably my favourite weapon, really versatile and satisfying for crowd control.

It's great for some enemies such as Chaos (the armoured spin-lizards) and Nobody, as it's not only parry some of their attacks but will also keep them stunned for decent damage. Plus for crowd control it could grind on multiple enemies at the same time. It was my go-to weapon for a while, but on later difficulties it's mostly too slow to be useful. I still carry it, but rarely use it now.

I'm mostly sticking with Balrog for the uppercut attack, but have been switching to Cerberus a good bit too. Need more practice with it though.

Advertisement