Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE - 25 Irish People Defining Irish Culture 2018

• 21-08-2018 3:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭

https://www.rte.ie/special-reports/defining-irish-culture/

I must admit I do not know who the vast majority of these people are. However, I feel that there should at least be a sportsperson (not McGregor), politician and perhaps a chef in the list. 

On further reflection, this list contains 6 men and 19 women. That is peculiar, especially given the men that were selected. It is as if the list was created by a woman and one who is willing to promote mediocrity for the sake of the sisterhood. That could be just my fragile masculinity talking.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

It's been done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Would think the LON thread on here has contributed to her placing on the list. Must have had some analytics bot seeing her as highly influential given the number of passionate posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It’s been done. Everyone had a whinge about there being a women or a feminist or someone that the After Hours group mind does not approve of, on it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

No Margaret cash, and at least 3 of them aren't even Irish.

(Pressiner, Ronan and negga aren't Irish)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

judeboy101 wrote: »

Born to Irish parents, moved back when she was 3 to be brought up in Carlow and then spent some of her teens in Dublin.. she's fairly Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Nice angle, should give the thread some legs

Born to Irish parents, moved back when she was 3 to be brought up in Carlow and then spent some of her teens in Dublin.. she's fairly Irish.

Actually, born to Irish mother and british father. Born in USA and is a citizen and passport

Actually, born to Irish mother and british father. Born in USA and is a citizen and passport holder of the US. So technically has some Irish roots, like obama.

Nice angle, should give the thread some legs

Now that I look more at the list, the lassie from Londonderry and the woman from Belfast were technically born and their births registered in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

You can only be Irish if you spend most of your time in a soccer jersey and go on your holidays to Courtown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Now that I look more at the list, the lassie from Londonderry and the woman from Belfast were technically born and their births registered in the UK.

and are thus irish citizens as much as the rest of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Lux23 wrote: »
    You can only be Irish if you spend most of your time in a soccer jersey and go on your holidays to Courtown.

Jimmyz 4 life yo!

and are thus irish citizens as much as the rest of us.
    They were born in the UK, they are Irish because the applied to be Irish under the terms of the gfa. I'm Irish because I was born in Ireland to parents who were born in ireland. Slight difference. 2 players can play for utd, one comes up through their school boy system and academy the other gets transferred in. They are both utd but slightly different pedigree.

They were born in the UK, they are Irish because the applied to be Irish under the terms of the gfa. I'm Irish because I was born in Ireland to parents who were born in ireland. Slight difference. 2 players can play for utd, one comes up through their school boy system and academy the other gets transferred in. They are both utd but slightly different pedigree.

no, they are irish citizens by right. They are as much irish citizens as you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Actually, born to Irish mother and british father. Born in USA and is a citizen and passport holder of the US. So technically has some Irish roots, like obama.

Obama doesn't have Irish parents, didn't live in Ireland since 3 years old or have a home here, doesn't have an Irish accent and isn't an Irish citizen so no nothing like Obama.

rossie1977 wrote: »

Obama doesn't have Irish parents, didn't live in Ireland since 3 years old or have a home here, doesn't have an Irish accent and isn't an Irish citizen so no nothing like Obama.
    She has one Irish parent, not parents. She holds American citizenship. Tom cruise had an Irish accent in a movie, surely that's not Irish. Jeremy irons has lived in Ireland twice as long as Ronan has been alive, is he Irish? Same as day Lewis.

no, they are irish citizens by right. They are as much irish citizens as you are.
    Actually, they aren't. They have to fill out a form to get an Irish pps. I like all born in Ireland, was given one automatically at birth, I didn't have to ask for one. My name appears on no register that bears the stamp of the lion and unicorn. Everyone born in norn iron, even if they claim to be Irish, will have their name placed in the books of subjects of HM.

She has one Irish parent, not parents. She holds American citizenship. Tom cruise had an Irish accent in a movie, surely that's not Irish. Jeremy irons has lived in Ireland twice as long as Ronan has been alive, is he Irish? Same as day Lewis.

She also has Irish citizenship.

Actually, they aren't. They have to fill out a form to get an Irish pps. I like all born in Ireland, was given one automatically at birth, I didn't have to ask for one. My name appears on no register that bears the stamp of the lion and unicorn. Everyone born in norn iron, even if they claim to be Irish, will have their name placed in the books of subjects of HM.

A pps number does not make one a citizen. I wasnt given a PPS number at birth even though i was born in ireland to 2 irish parents. does that mean i am not irish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

That they will, but doesn't mean they are not Irish. A baby born to two Irish parents in London for example and brought home a month later wouldn't have a PPSN automatically either, they would have to apply for one.

You don't actually have to be born in the 26 counties to have Irish citizenship.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 210 ✭✭Sardine

At least Saoirse has an Irish accent ffs. I met her once about 5 years ago and she was just lovely. I don't see how she defines our culture though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Negga has an Irish mammy and moved to Limerick when she was 4 where she grew up. Not sure how she isn't Irish

RasTa wrote: »
    Negga has an Irish mammy and moved to Limerick when she was 4 where she grew up. Not sure how she isn't Irish

She didnt automatically get a PPS number when she is born. that is the criteria apparently.

She identifies as ethopian Irish. And has duel nationality.

That they will, but doesn't mean they are not Irish. A baby born to two Irish parents in London for example and brought home a month later wouldn't have a PPSN automatically either, they would have to apply for one.

You don't actually have to be born in the 26 counties to have Irish citizenship.
    I know that, but they aren't Irish. Same goes for Dev, neeson, fassbender etc. Foreign born Irish raised is not really Irish.

I know that, but they aren't Irish. Same goes for Dev, neeson, fassbender etc. Foreign born Irish raised is not really Irish.

Your definition is at odds with the governments. and with reality.

She didnt automatically get a PPS number when she is born. that is the criteria apparently.

No, the Po's is just an automatic right given to Irish born, its that she doesn't identify as Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

rossie1977 wrote: »

Obama is Irish like a Fitzgerald is Scandinavian.

There comes a time when the links becomes so diluted that it dies.

The Bush family have stronger ties for Christs sake.

No, the Po's is just an automatic right given to Irish born, its that she doesn't identify as Irish.

she identifies as ethiopian irish. so irish.

• Advertisement

Your definition is at odds with the governments. and with reality.
    Governments change, reality is subjective. But when you are born in Ireland and registered at birth in the records of the republic, when you claim no kinship or loyalty to any other people or nation, then you are Irish.

Governments change, reality is subjective. But when you are born in Ireland and registered at birth in the records of the republic, when you claim no kinship or loyalty to any other people or nation, then you are Irish.

I will leave you to wallow in your delusional little world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

What a load of ****e.

she identifies as ethiopian irish. so irish.
    Ethiopian first, you'll notice. And she is at pains to highlight that at all opportunities. I don't hear many Irish people self identifying as leitrim-Irish or carlow-Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭indioblack

My name appears on no register that bears the stamp of the lion and unicorn.
    "Vot iss your name?"
    "Don't tell him, Pike!"

Ethiopian first, you'll notice. And she is at pains to highlight that at all opportunities. I don't hear many Irish people self identifying as leitrim-Irish or carlow-Irish.

ethiopian irish just rolls off the tongue better. you are reading too much into it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

They aren't countries in case you are even more confused. She lost her dad when she was 4, probably one of the reasons why.

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    What a load of ****e.

You are far too polite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I have been getting more and more disillusioned with AH. It's become an absolute cesspit, a poster in this thread has proven that once again.

By that logic and off the top of my head: Ronan O'Gara, not Irish. Phil Lynott, not Irish. Dev, not Irish. James Connolly, not Irish.

Go away and cop yourself on, would ya?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Louise O'Neill and that clown with the plastic bag on his head, ffs.

indioblack wrote: »
    "Vot iss your name?"
    "Don't tell him, Pike!"

that never stops being funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Hate to break it to you but Leitrim is not an independent country. Neither is Carlow. Ethiopia is however. I seriously hope you're not a geography teacher. Or history for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

Northern Ireland.. Its all in the word Judeboy.... My brother is an American citizen... as Irish as feck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭indioblack

southstar wrote: »
    Northern Ireland.. Its all in the word Judeboy.... My brother is an American citizen... as Irish as feck

So was my brother. Born in England, lived all his life in Ireland, worked there, paid his dues, fiercely loyal to the land that reared him - now he's buried there.

southstar wrote: »

New Ireland is an island close to Indonesia, surely those ppl ain't Irish, its all in the word , southstar. To become an American citizen, if born to non American citizens outside American one must swear an oath forgoing all former allegiance. So your brother is no longer Irish, by his own hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

Sorry to disappoint, but recent genetic research suggests that the Irish, English, Scots, and Welsh all share a common ancestry. The genetic influence of subsequent invaders such as the Celts, Anglo-Saxons, and Normans are far smaller than historians have tended to assume -- and so the British and Irish share far more in the way of kinship than would make you happy. Stephen Oppenheimer's The Origins of the British has much more on the research.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭touts

https://www.rte.ie/special-reports/defining-irish-culture/

I must admit I do not know who the vast majority of these people are. However, I feel that there should at least be a sportsperson (not McGregor), politician and perhaps a chef in the list. 

On further reflection, this list contains 6 men and 19 women. That is peculiar, especially given the men that were selected. It is as if the list was created by a woman and one who is willing to promote mediocrity for the sake of the sisterhood. That could be just my fragile masculinity talking.

Meh! I'll wager the author moves in the same social lovee set as quite a few of these and decided to throw their unknown mates into a list with international talent like Ronan and Gleeson. They'll be getting quite a few "oh my god!"s and air kisses and free designer Gins next Saturday noight. Next year no one will remember who half these people were.

They aren't countries in case you are even more confused. She lost her dad when she was 4, probably one of the reasons why.
    dulpit wrote: »
    I have been getting more and more disillusioned with AH. It's become an absolute cesspit, a poster in this thread has proven that once again.

By that logic and off the top of my head: Ronan O'Gara, not Irish. Phil Lynott, not Irish. Dev, not Irish. James Connolly, not Irish.

Go away and cop yourself on, would ya?
    Nope, all have Irish ancestry. But not Irish. It's not that hard to understand.

Sorry to disappoint, but recent genetic research suggests that the Irish, English, Scots, and Welsh all share a common ancestry. The genetic influence of subsequent invaders such as the Celts, Anglo-Saxons, and Normans are far smaller than historians have tended to assume -- and so the British and Irish share far more in the way of kinship than would make you happy. Stephen Oppenheimer's The Origins of the British has much more on the research.

All humans share common ancestry. I'm talking about ppl who claim to be Irish but self identify by their actions to be either German, American or Ethiopian. I could claim to be north Korean or Australian but I wasn't born in either of those countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

That book is seriously out of date. There were two material population upheavals since the Ice Age; the spread of farming from the Levant via Southern Europe and the Yamnaya/Bell beaker culture that spread the Indo European languages from the Pontic Caspian Steppe from the mid Bronze Age onwards.
    http://eurogenes.blogspot.com/2013/12/ancient-human-genomes-suggest-three.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

Ipso wrote: »
    That book is seriously out of date.

It was published just 12 years ago. Its core thesis -- that the impact of the Anglo-Saxons and the Celts on the genetic makeup of the British Isles has been vastly overstated by historians, who have tended to overestimate differences and underestimate similarities for reasons of politics and identity -- is amply substantiated by the research presented.

• Advertisement
Advertisement