Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE - 25 Irish People Defining Irish Culture 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

judeboy101 wrote: »
    All humans share common ancestry. I'm talking about ppl who claim to be Irish but self identify by their actions to be either German, American or Ethiopian. I could claim to be north Korean or Australian but I wasn't born in either of those countries.

Not the brightest are you.... and like a petulant teenager need to be right all the time no matter what tosh you need to post... like I said my brother is an American citizen.. a status he needed to live and work there and very grateful for.. but Irish to the core.. if nuance is beyond your intellectual reach stick to the Niall Boylan show

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

southstar wrote: »
    All humans share common ancestry. I'm talking about ppl who claim to be Irish but self identify by their actions to be either German, American or Ethiopian. I could claim to be north Korean or Australian but I wasn't born in either of those countries.

Not the brightest are you.... and like a petulant teenager need to be right all the time no matter what tosh you need to post... like I said my brother is an American citizen.. a status he needed to live and work there and very grateful for.. but Irish to the core.. if nuance is beyond your intellectual reach stick to the Niall Boylan show
    Did he swear an oath like this one? ""I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God."

So your brother renounces his duty to the Irish state for a few dollars more?

Classy.

Did he swear an oath like this one? ""I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God."

So now he's neither Irish.. nor by your childish reasoning is he American.... so maybe its Harry Potterland... and you still think you have a point.. by the way are you Irish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭George White

No Margaret cash, and at least 3 of them aren't even Irish.

(Pressiner, Ronan and negga aren't Irish)

A person is born in space. Where are they from?
    Also, Horgan was born in London, if you are discounting the others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

They're either artsy-fartsy types that hold no appeal to the average person, actresses that star in American films or they weren't even born here.

A person is born in space. Where are they from?
    Also, Horgan was born in London, if you are discounting the others.
    I think rules for space, air and water are well know. It depends on flag of vessel port on arrival and nationality rules of that port. Forgot about horgan.

So now he's neither Irish.. nor by your childish reasoning is he American.... so maybe its Harry Potterland... and you still think you have a point.. by the way are you Irish

If he swore an oath to US, he's American. Simples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

That flag pole with the smoke coming out of it reminds me of the time I was in an art gallery and came across some of the weirdest shit I've ever seen.

459250.jpg

This really confused me. I thought some workman had left his paint bucket behind until I saw the light bulb in it. I never figured out if the sign was part of the 'statement' the artist was making or it was legitimately not working.

459251.jpg

This kind of 'art' means absolutely nothing to the majority of people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

A person is born in space. Where are they from?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Who cares?

Also, the title of the article does not say "Irish people" but rather just "people". The Op includes the term Irish people as an aside to the article. Irish culture is not defined by Irish people; it is defined by people living and breathing and sh*tting in Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Who cares?

Also, the title of the article does not say "Irish people" but rather just "people". The Op includes the term Irish people as an aside to the article. Irish culture is not defined by Irish people; it is defined by people living and breathing and sh*tting in Ireland.

How is Ruth Negga not Irish ?

Who cares?

How is Ruth Negga not Irish ?
    Born in ethopian to ethopian dad and identifies culturally as ethopian in many many interviews and written articles. Her "Irish" is almost an after thought. Our nationality laws mean you are only Irish by automatic right if you are born with no other claim of nationality . So a lad born to Irish parents in London isn't automatically Irish as he can claim British citizenship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Born in ethopian to ethopian dad and identifies culturally as ethopian in many many interviews and written articles. Her "Irish" is almost an after thought. Our nationality laws mean you are only Irish by automatic right if you are born with no other claim of nationality . So a lad born to Irish parents in London isn't automatically Irish as he can claim British citizenship.

can you tell us what law that is exactly? I suspect you have just made that up or you are confusing your opinion with fact. Again. Somebody born in northern ireland is irish by automatic right but they are also british by right as well.

Ah fair point!

I'd technically qualify as "UK" as I was born there - brought up Irish by Irish parents; never felt like a Brit; never had a UK passport; never supported them in anything; never ticked "British" on a form.

Birthplace ain't important but loyalty is!!!!

can you tell us what law that is exactly? I suspect you have just made that up or you are confusing your opinion with fact. Again. Somebody born in northern ireland is irish by automatic right but they are also british by right as well.

It actually is made up - our Constitution gives me my citizenship as my parents are Irish born.

Just an accident of birth I was in the UK when I came out!

Was conceived in Galway if that makes any odds ????

• Advertisement

1956 and 2004 acts, both allow for automatic citizenship subject to the above provisio. It makes sense as it forces claimiants from Uk or wherever to produce foreign birth cert and parents birthcerts.

1956 and 2004 acts, both allow for automatic citizenship subject to the above provisio. It makes sense as it forces claimiants from Uk or wherever to produce foreign birth cert and parents birthcerts.

People from northern ireland are automatically irish at birth. how does that work then?

It actually is made up - our Constitution gives me my citizenship as my parents are Irish born.

Just an accident of birth I was in the UK when I came out!

Was conceived in Galway if that makes any odds ????

Thanks to the good ppl of Ireland through a recent referendum and a number of previous supreme court rulings, you have no legal rights under the constitution at conception ;-)

People from northern ireland are automatically irish at birth. how does that work then?
    They are automatically British as well. They have to apply for Irish citizenship. They don't appear in Irish birth records or in the pps system automatically.

No, you're wrong.

That is second gen only and the "Foreign Birth Register" arrangements.

• Advertisement

They are automatically British as well. They have to apply for Irish citizenship. They don't appear in Irish birth records or in the pps system automatically.

Jesus just stop will you ? You are talking absolute nonsense here.

Thanks to the good ppl of Ireland through a recent referendum and a number of previous supreme court rulings, you have no legal rights under the constitution at conception ;-)

And with that, you're on ignore. F***'s sake.

Ah fair point!

I'd technically qualify as "UK" as I was born there - brought up Irish by Irish parents; never felt like a Brit; never had a UK passport; never supported them in anything; never ticked "British" on a form.

Birthplace ain't important but loyalty is!!!!
    Totally agree. If some lad comes from Syria and gives up his right to Syrian passport and follows Westmeath hurling he is Irish. But if someone is born in New York to an English dad, Irish mum is reared in Carlow but at the slightest sniff of money drapes herself in the star spangled banner like Ms Ronan did by activating her American citizenship, she ain't Irish, she's a blow-in.

you are obsessed with the PPS system. Weird

It's a badge of pride when your newborn gets it before leaving the maternity hospital.it's like Ireland saying, "you didn't even need to ask, but here ya go"

It's a badge of pride when your newborn gets it before leaving the maternity hospital.it's like Ireland saying, "you didn't even need to ask, but here ya go"

I feel like a second class citizen now. I wasn't given one when i was born. Does that mean i am not really irish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

Our nationality laws mean you are only Irish by automatic right if you are born with no other claim of nationality.

That's completely incorrect.

From Citizens Information: "If either of your parents was an Irish citizen who was born in Ireland, then you are automatically an Irish citizen, irrespective of your place of birth."

Assume a woman who was born in Ireland, emigrated to the United States, and married a US citizen. Their children are automatically American citizens because they were born in the US and have an American father. They are also automatically Irish citizens because their mother is an Irish citizen who was born in Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

does Ruth Negga have a PPS Number?

My overseas students with no connection to Ireland other than it's where they study can apply for a PPS number!

There are some pathetically uninformed opinions here alright!!!!!!

My overseas students with no connection to Ireland other than it's where they study can apply for a PPS number!

There are some pathetically uninformed opinions here alright!!!!!!
    The key word there is apply. Irish babies born to Irish parents in Irish hospitals don't need to apply.

• Advertisement

I'm sure she does but her mum would have had to take her Ethiopian birth cert along with her mums Irish one an applied for one. She wouldn't have gotten one automatically.

Assuming so as she's paid tax here.

I have one, was actually sent to me and everything, without asking!!!

Yet apparently I have to take all manner of papers somewhere to get one!

People who really know f**k all should stop spouting nonsense, especially when their ignorance is made abundantly clear!!!!!

I feel like a second class citizen now. I wasn't given one when i was born. Does that mean i am not really irish?
    Depends when you were born, but I bet if you go down the central registry you can see that you are listed as an Irish citizen on your longform birth cert, assuming you are born in the republic post republic of Ireland act, to parents who have residency or citizenship.

Anyone else familiar with the phrase "When you realise you're in a hole, stop digging" ????

FYI (not that most of us need it, but...)
    A PPS number has already been issued to you if:

You were born in Ireland in or after 1971
    You started work in Ireland after 1979
    You are getting a social welfare payment
    You are taking part in the Drugs Payment Scheme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Depends when you were born, but I bet if you go down the central registry you can see that you are listed as an Irish citizen on your longform birth cert, assuming you are born in the republic post republic of Ireland act, to parents who have residency or citizenship.

In the early 90's i was sent mine when I was 16. Never applied for it and i was born in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

[people born in NI] have to apply for Irish citizenship.

Nope, they're automatically entitled to it. They merely have to decide to take it up. Totally different from, for example, applying for citizenship by naturalisation.

Obviously constructed that way so as to avoid the unnecessary -- and in any case ineffective -- obnoxiousness of seeming to "force" diehard Onionists to be Irish.

Assuming so as she's paid tax here.

I have one, was actually sent to me and everything, without asking!!!

Yet apparently I have to take all manner of papers somewhere to get one!

People who really know f**k all should stop spouting nonsense, especially when their ignorance is made abundantly clear!!!!!
    Touched a nerve? If you need a vegan chai soy latte and a safe space im sure we can accommodate you.

Grayson wrote: »

In the early 90's i was sent mine when I was 16. Never applied for it and i was born in the UK.
    If you never applied, how'd they know where you live ;-)

Ever hear of the electoral register ? Tax office ? etc etc

Quit it now, accept you're wrong.

• Advertisement

8th is still in force, note, due to time-wasting filibusters in the court.

But actually, thanks to an earlier-still Supreme Court judgement the "equal right to life" began at implantation, rather than conception. So as to avoid conferring second-class personhood to embryos in IVF clinic freezers.

Touched a nerve? If you need a vegan chai soy latte and a safe space im sure we can accommodate you.

Oh dear again.

You're not another blow-in from the US altrightosphere, are you? This talk of "long form" birth certs has my antennae twitching already...

Pay income tax at 16 vote at 16? Something doesn't add up here

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Oh dear again.

You're not another blow-in from the US altrightosphere, are you? This talk of "long form" birth certs has my antennae twitching already...

Chuckle at that there!!!!!!

Might explain how someone can know so little about Ireland - despite "educating" us so much.

I'm expecting to be accused of being "butthurt" soon!!!!!

Your rolling mauls of whatabouts, is my guess?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Chuckle at that there!!!!!!

Might explain how someone can know so little about Ireland - despite "educating" us so much.

I'm expecting to be accused of being "butthurt" soon!!!!!

He is Irish, ran a Marathon a few days ago. Seems one of the new older generation who lives on the internet so has adopted all those silly buzz words

RasTa wrote: »
    He is Irish, ran a Marathon a few days ago. Seems one of the new older generation who lives on the internet so has adopted all those silly buzz words

Still knows sod all about the constitution or vaccines!!!

RasTa wrote: »

And they say you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Maybe wishful thinking, in some cases!

Moncrieff's text "mailbox" is plenty testament to how readily suggestible a lot of empty-headed right-wingers are, it must be said. "OMG, SJW." Monkey hear, monkey repeat!

Totally agree. If some lad comes from Syria and gives up his right to Syrian passport and follows Westmeath hurling he is Irish. But if someone is born in New York to an English dad, Irish mum is reared in Carlow but at the slightest sniff of money drapes herself in the star spangled banner like Ms Ronan did by activating her American citizenship, she ain't Irish, she's a blow-in.

Jesus.. make your mind up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Jesus.. make your mind up

Some people have very weird ideas about what it means to be Irish.

• Advertisement
Advertisement