Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon delivery taking over 3 months

• 21-08-2018 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Hi,

I ordered a Tv on the 2nd of June 2018. The delivery date has been changed 6 times now, from June 30th - July 3rd, from July 12th - July 18th, from July 25th - July 29th, from August 3rd - August 9th, August 15th - August 20th, and now August 27th - August 31st.

It had been nearly 3 months, 1/4 of a whole year. I also tried to cancel the order with no success. I have been on to them several time about the order and it seems to be stuck in limbo for the last 2 months.

I have not been charged as the TV has not dispatched yet, but the delivery date keeps changing and I can not cancel the order which leaves me stuck. This order is from Amazon them self and not a third party.

Can anyone tell me my legal standings on this? I should be allowed to cancel the order after a certain length of time? It's gone on long enough.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

spankalish wrote: »
    Hi,

I ordered a Tv on the 2nd of June 2018. The delivery date has been changed 6 times now, from June 30th - July 3rd, from July 12th - July 18th, from July 25th - July 29th, from August 3rd - August 9th, August 15th - August 20th, and now August 27th - August 31st.

It had been nearly 3 months, 1/4 of a whole year. I also tried to cancel the order with no success. I have been on to them several time about the order and it seems to be stuck in limbo for the last 2 months.

I have not been charged as the TV has not dispatched yet, but the delivery date keeps changing and I can not cancel the order which leaves me stuck. This order is from Amazon them self and not a third party.

Can anyone tell me my legal standings on this? I should be allowed to cancel the order after a certain length of time? It's gone on long enough.

Have you contacted Amazon and asked them what is happening? I've never heard them refuse a cancel an order for a product that is not even shipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭spankalish

Hi Reati,

Yes I have been on to them now on 5 occasions. It is the usual useless response of your order will be delivered on the new given date, I have been told this with 100% certainty now on 3 occasions. On the fourth occasion I was told that I could cancel the order if I wished, so I waited until the next delivery window, no item was delivered, I received a new window, and I said screw this I'm cancelling. When I went to cancel I got back an email stating that "your item can not be cancelled."

I got to them the 5th time, now really pissed, I escalated the problem to their supervisor who can do no more than anyone else. The item is supposedly in a warehouse on the final stages of dispatch for the past months. The Amazon official said it was there on the 16th of August, but I have been told on the 26th of July that it was in the same place.

No one can tell me what is happening, I don't know how to escalate it any further, I've never had this happen with any company before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭Silane

Hi Reati,

Yes I have been on to them now on 5 occasions. It is the usual useless response of your order will be delivered on the new given date, I have been told this with 100% certainty now on 3 occasions. On the fourth occasion I was told that I could cancel the order if I wished, so I waited until the next delivery window, no item was delivered, I received a new window, and I said screw this I cancelling. When I went to cancel I got back an email that your item can not be cancelled.

I got to them the 5th time, now really pissed, I escalated the problem to their supervisor who can do no more than anyone else. The item is supposedly in a warehouse on the final stages of dispatch for the past months. The Amazon official said it was there on the 16th of August, but I have been told on the 26th of July that it was in the same place.

No one can tell me what is happening, I don't know how to escalate it any further, I've never had this happen with any company before.

Time to call your bank and initiate a charge back I think, when the delivery eventually arrives refuse it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

When you go into your orders, are you given an option to cancel the order?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

I normally find their customer service excellent.

Just let it arrive and refuse delivery and then do a chargeback.

• Advertisement

Silane wrote: »
    Time to call your bank and initiate a charge back I think, when the delivery eventually arrives refuse it.

I could do that, but what courier is going to send back a 50 inch TV? It's not exactly going to fit into a envelope. It could cost me anything from 20 - 100 to send the dam thing back!

That's if I can find a courier that would even do so

....... wrote: »
    I normally find their customer service excellent.

Just let it arrive and refuse delivery and then do a chargeback.

It's normally beyond good. I would try them again to cancel the order. If it hasn't left the warehouse then they can cancel it. If it has, then you need to return it for a full refund when it turns up. You haven't been charge so it's not like you ar out of pocket right now.

So, options
    • Ring again, get them to confirm it's in warehouse and cancel
    • If they can't cancel it, then return it for free for full refund when it arrives.

There isn't much more to it than that. I've returned two things no question asked for free this week alone (though in fairness they arrived broken).

EDIT - Saw your reply - Returns to Amazon have always been free via An Post for me using Amazon only return from within 30 days of getting product. Should be same for TV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

I could do that, but what courier is going to send back a 50 inch TV? It's not exactly going to fit into a envelope. It could cost me anything from 20 - 100 to send the dam thing back!

That's if I can find a courier that would even do so
    Just don’t sign for it... tell courier you have cancelled it and have had a change back and it’s nothing to do with you..

the_syco wrote: »
    When you go into your orders, are you given an option to cancel the order?

yes I am given the option.

We're contacting you about your cancellation request for order #ORDER NUMBER

Unfortunately we weren't able to cancel the following item(s) from your order:

ITEM

When you receive your order, you're welcome to refuse the package and it will be returned to us. If you are unable to refuse delivery, please visit our Online Returns Support Centre to create your personalised returns label so you can send this item back to us for a full refund:
    www.amazon.co.uk/returns-support

As a reminder, you'll only be charged for items that have been dispatched. You won't be charged for any items that are cancelled from an order.

We hope to see you again soon.

Sincerely,

Customer Service

Reati wrote: »
    It's normally beyond good. I would try them again to cancel the order. If it hasn't left the warehouse then they can cancel it. If it has, then you need to return it for a full refund when it turns up. You haven't been charge so it's not like you ar out of pocket right now.

So, options
    • Ring again, get them to confirm it's in warehouse and cancel
    • If they can't cancel it, then return it for free for full refund when it arrives.

There isn't much more to it than that. I've returned two things no question asked for free this week alone (though in fairness they arrived broken).

EDIT - Saw your reply - Returns to Amazon have always been free via An Post for me using Amazon only return from within 30 days of getting product. Should be same for TV

I don't think this item would be coming through An Post, if it comes at all. I have never not accepted an item on delivery. Will the courier send it back to them free of charge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Have you spoken to them?

Like as poster mentioned above, amazon customer service are usually excellent at resolving issues - i find it hard to believe they would string you along like this, unless you are conducting everything through email.

ArthurG wrote: »
    Have you spoken to them?

Like as poster mentioned above, amazon customer service are usually excellent at resolving issues - i find it hard to believe they would string you along like this, unless you are conducting everything through email.

It started with email, then live chat on 3 occasions, then by phone, and the last was live chat again. Email is too slow.

I don't think this item would be coming through An Post, if it comes at all. I have never not accepted an item on delivery. Will the courier send it back to them free of charge?

It doesn't matter who it comes with. Amazon will give you a printable slip to return it via An Post in a post office for free.

To be honest, you have gotten the same replies here as you have off Amazon.

I don't think there is much more to it. If they can't cancel it for whatever silly reason, you will have to refuse it or return it. They will issue a full refund.

That's the end of it really.

Is there something else you want other that it cancelled / returned for refund?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

ArthurG wrote: »
    Have you spoken to them?

The online Amazon customer service chat is usually the best way to resolve an issue like this. I wonder also if the OP has tried this option. I see that he/she has. Strange that this issue is ongoing for this amount of time.

It doesn't matter who it comes with. Amazon will give you a printable slip to return it via An Post in a post office for free.

To be honest, you have gotten the same replies here as you have off Amazon.

I don't think there is much more to it. If they can't cancel it for whatever silly reason, you will have to refuse it or return it. They will issue a full refund.

That's the end of it really.

Is there something else you want other that it cancelled / returned for refund?

No I'd just like to cancel it now. The hassle of having to be at home just to tell someone to go away again.

Also An Post want nothing to do with an Item of this size. Especially a TV!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭Silane

Yes if you refuse delivery it goes back to them free of charge to you. The same thing happens if the address is wrong, or if they cant get an answer x amount of times, it's standard practice.
    If you get a tracking number maybe call the courier and advise them that you won't be accepting it, that way you might not even have to refuse it at your door.

No I'd just like to cancel it now. The hassle of having to be at home just to tell someone to go away again.

Makes total sense but if they can't cancel it, that's the only option.

The CSS agent isn't likely event on the same continent as the warehouse so if the computer won't let them do it, nothing else they can do.

Yes if you refuse delivery it goes back to them free of charge to you. The same thing happens if the address is wrong, or if they cant get an answer x amount of times, it's standard practice.
    If you get a tracking number maybe call the courier and advise them that you won't be accepting it, that way you might not even have to refuse it at your door.

Great idea, I didn't even think of that.

Makes total sense but if they can't cancel it, that's the only option.

The CSS agent isn't likely event on the same continent as the warehouse so if the computer won't let them do it, nothing else they can do.

That's true too. I'm just pissed it's going on so long and that I couldn't just cancel it then when I tried. It's a ridiculous amount of time to have to wait for anything

That's true too. I'm just pissed it's going on so long and that I couldn't just cancel it then when I tried. It's a ridiculous amount of time to have to wait for anything

I'd be pissed too. No doubt and it's very unlike them. It's just a problem of waiting it out now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

OP what is their response when you ask them WHY it cant be cancelled in live chat? This is a bit bizarre tbh, you just dont hear complaints about Amazon like this, you'd expect them to refund your money and tell you to keep the tv if it shows up, that kind of thing happens all the time with them, its like they're terrified of annoying anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Amazon do not bill your card until the Item is Shipped out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

I have just gone through a somewhat similar issue. I ordered a Tablet in late July. After 10 days, it was still shown as 'being prepared for dispatch' I contacted Amazon CS to be told that the dispatch was imminent that day. 2 days later, still stuck.

Amazon then told me the Tablet was out of stock. I ordered a second Tablet from a different supplier and I was able to cancel the first Tablet on my account but it still showed being prepared on my account order list.

Amazon told me the Tablet was on it's way for dispatch, but couldn't explain how if it was out of stock and even so were unable to stop the order from their end.

The second Tablet arrived followed a couple of days later by the first. I was billed for both initially but one has now been refunded. I am waiting for a response to my complaint, but a £30 voucher has 'appeared' in my account!

What is clear is that their CS reps, although keen to help, do not have the access needed to deal with any sort of complex ordering issue between the various arms of Amazon.

I think refusing delivery is your only option.

TT

Thargor wrote: »
    OP what is their response when you ask them WHY it cant be cancelled in live chat? This is a bit bizarre tbh, you just dont hear complaints about Amazon like this, you'd expect them to refund your money and tell you to keep the tv if it shows up, that kind of thing happens all the time with them, its like they're terrified of annoying anyone.

They said the package was in the final stages of dispatch and could not be cancelled at this stage. As far as I can see, it's a brand new item to their inventory, when it went up Ireland was available for dispatch, I ordered the item, now Ireland is not available for dispatch and the item is now stuck in limbo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭portcrap

They said the package was in the final stages of dispatch and could not be cancelled at this stage. As far as I can see, it's a brand new item to their inventory, when it went up Ireland was available for dispatch, I ordered the item, now Ireland is not available for dispatch and the item is now stuck in limbo.
    That’s actually nonsense from the CS agent. It can of course be cancelled. They just don’t know how to do it. You may have to call them directly or speak to a supervisor again unfortunately to cancel. These situations normally mean that it isn’t in stock and supply chain system is waiting for replenishment which may never happen.

portcrap wrote: »
    That’s actually nonsense from the CS agent. It can of course be cancelled. They just don’t know how to do it. You may have to call them directly or speak to a supervisor again unfortunately to cancel. These situations normally mean that it isn’t in stock and supply chain system is waiting for replenishment which may never happen.

The supervisor told me the same thing. I've tried to do it with 3 different people, they just won't do it. The TV is sitting in a warehouse somewhere. I'm going to wait out until the next delivery window, if it's not delivered then, I'm going buying a different telly elsewhere, cancell the Amazon one either by courier or at the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

As I understand it
    • New orders can be easily cancelled at a button press
    • Orders that have started fulfilment can't be cancelled as they're already in the warehouses flow

In this case a stock keeping mistake could cause hassle. Computer says 50 TVs in stock, Bristol only actually have 49 as a forklift went through one but nobody logged it. When your order goes for picking the item is MIA so is sidelined as a problem order to be solved but can't be cancelled as its already entered picking.

Amazon doubtless have a workflow to do cleanup in such cases but may require the CSRs supervisor to flag it with a back office team. Persist and BE POLITE. CS are much more helpful when you're nice.

Advertisement