Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi, Frascati Centre

Options
  • 21-08-2018 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Anyone know what's the story with the new Aldi in Blackrock? Like when is it going to be open and stuff? It's been years since they announced that there's a new aldi. Just curious.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Aldi is advertising for staff for Frascati on bus stops in the wider area so I'd expect it will be opening in the next few months. It's all tied into the redevelopment of Frascati, the Aldi store will be the anchor so they have to open on day 1. And the Frascati website is giving very little away on the exact timing..... https://frascaticentre.ie/redevelopment-frascati-centre/

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Mamo

Due to open tomorrow, 8th November.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Jacinta086

Was in Aldi just now, it looks great i must say.
    5 guys looks like it will be open soon.
    Still very much a construction site but the end is in sight.

Hopefully the Zurich building will be finished soon too and things will be back to business as usual.
    I hear its really affecting shop sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Popped in today - Aldi looks good but it i smaller than I thought it would be. There are some things I would pick up in the Sandyford one that they didn't have :(

The McDonalds was jammed - five guys can't open soon enough I'd say!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Awaaf

Tried it out. Nice shop but there were a few niggles for me. Trolleys don't seem to accept the token that I have on my key ring that helps avoid the need for change, trolleys seem very deep so hard to unload last few items for a shorty like me (5'9"). They have the short packing end of the till area that Lidl seem to have abandoned. The route to and from the carpark involves using a lift which could be an issue at busy times. There are a lot of pinch points en-route to the car-park although I guess these may get sorted as the build completes. M+S and Aldi seem to operate different trolley systems with separate bays which is a pain.

All minor stuff but individually adds up to a pain which other locations don't suffer from. Maybe the combination of Aldi and M+S and other local options will work well however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭cobham

Remember to pay for parking before returning to car!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Jacinta086

I walked the day i went but i think there was some parking to the left at street level - presumably thats designed mainly for Aldi shoppers.

But yes the trolleys that don't except the charity coins are a pain; supervalu across the road have this new style too.
    Not sure why they would have changed them; There must be issues with people not returning the trolleys to the bay when there is no cash incentive; it can be dangerous on a windy day.

Awaaf wrote: »
    Tried it out. Nice shop but there were a few niggles for me. Trolleys don't seem to accept the token that I have on my key ring that helps avoid the need for change, trolleys seem very deep so hard to unload last few items for a shorty like me (5'9"). They have the short packing end of the till area that Lidl seem to have abandoned. The route to and from the carpark involves using a lift which could be an issue at busy times. There are a lot of pinch points en-route to the car-park although I guess these may get sorted as the build completes. M+S and Aldi seem to operate different trolley systems with separate bays which is a pain.

All minor stuff but individually adds up to a pain which other locations don't suffer from. Maybe the combination of Aldi and M+S and other local options will work well however.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Awaaf wrote: »
    Nice shop but there were a few niggles for me. Trolleys don't seem to accept the token that I have on my key ring that helps avoid the need for change, trolleys seem very deep so hard to unload last few items for a shorty like me (5'9").
    5 9 is average height for a man, so well above average height of the average adult. And as for your scam/fake token not working!! WTF Aww bless, the pawn shop wouldn't accept my fake 50 note, I swore I would be back next week! sure whats the harm...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

rubadub wrote: »
    And as for your scam/fake token not working!! WTF Aww bless, the pawn shop wouldn't accept my fake 50 note, I swore I would be back next week! sure whats the harm...

The token is held in the handle of the trolley you pull from the line so there is no fraud involved as you pull out the same coin or token when you drop the trolley back in the parking bay.

People use a token for convenience, you can't spend it so it will always be in the ashtray of the car or on your keyring when you need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Aldi have always used trolleys that accept a €2 coin so I cant see how it has come as a surprise to those trying to use the tokens/€1. If you have any english 2p coins lying around they will do the same job as a €2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Jack199128

I am a big fan of Aldi but disappointed with this store.
    I always thought Aldi and Lidl ran free parking for their customers ? €2 for parking ? I don't think any other Aldi charges ? They should stamp your ticket once you've purchased something.
    Layout is completely different to any other store , which takes twice as long to find your items. This needs to be changed.
    Lack of Aldi signs up to lead customers to the store.
    Not a personal hit against Aldi but more Frascati regarding the layout and design of the car park which is too tight. I saw two minor bumps on my trip and for a pedestrian there is a lot of walking back and forth to the pay machine and trolleys.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Jack199128 wrote: »
    I am a big fan of Aldi but disappointed with this store.
    I always thought Aldi and Lidl ran free parking for their customers ? €2 for parking ? I don't think any other Aldi charges ? They should stamp your ticket once you've purchased something.
    Layout is completely different to any other store , which takes twice as long to find your items. This needs to be changed.
    Lack of Aldi signs up to lead customers to the store.
    Not a personal hit against Aldi but more Frascati regarding the layout and design of the car park which is too tight. I saw two minor bumps on my trip and for a pedestrian there is a lot of walking back and forth to the pay machine and trolleys.

I do agree re the layout - took me an age to find the rice cakes shoved into a corner near the freezer section. I think in time they might validate the parking - at least with a purchase over say €30 or whatever. SuperValu actually do it for both carparks now with the building work going on in the blackrock centre.

I am sure signage will improve and when the whole centre opens/finishes the flow/access to Aldi will be better though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

They should offer free parking for the first hour while there is so little in the place! 3 hours for €2 is a joke when compared to Dundrum

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

homer911 wrote: »
    They should offer free parking for the first hour while there is so little in the place! 3 hours for €2 is a joke when compared to Dundrum

Isn’t Dundrum the same price ?

Also don’t Lidl and dealz now charge in Dundrum ?

Advertisement