Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheist Godfather For Baptismal Ceremony

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,488 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

bluewolf wrote:
    I'd be honoured to be a 'godparent' if they meant it in a secular sense, but i couldn't bring myself to go into a church and start telling lies about it.

Do you have friends who practice a religion?
    If you do and one asked you to be a godparent but wished that their kid was brought up being taught religion would you do it for them if the worst happened?
    I know I would, I've no issue with anybody practising religion and have many friends that do and I respect their right to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

bluewolf wrote: »
    I'd be honoured to be a 'godparent' if they meant it in a secular sense, but i couldn't bring myself to go into a church and start telling lies about it.
    What secular sense would that be?

recedite wrote: »
    What secular sense would that be?

The guideparent stuff discussed on the previous page
    eagle eye wrote: »
    Do you have friends who practice a religion?
    If you do and one asked you to be a godparent but wished that their kid was brought up being taught religion would you do it for them if the worst happened?
    I know I would, I've no issue with anybody practising religion and have many friends that do and I respect their right to.

I haven't a clue about her religion beyond the basics so i wouldn't be asked to do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

The guideparent stuff discussed on the previous page
    Well, it was all a bit wishy washy. Somebody said something about "legal guardianship" in the event of the parents dying, which I'm pretty sure is an entirely separate matter.
    So I'm genuinely interested to know. You are very specifically promising to help indoctrinate a child into a specific religion. Apart from that, what else would you be doing that you would not be able to do anyway as an aunt/uncle/family friend?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Doesn't really need a ceremony though. If you're the friend of the family that is there for the child, you are de facto that person. Loads of babysitting leading to being someone the child can talk to easily. Lots of people who are godparents aren't this and vice-versa.

• Advertisement
Advertisement