Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Withdrawing money from bank

• 21-08-2018 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

A while back I withdrew a large number of thousands Euro from a bank. They said that because of the size of the withdrawal I had to tell them what it was being used for.
    What is the maximum size of withdrawal that wouldn't lead me to being questioned in this manner?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

AML controls vary from bank to bank. Amount is not the only criteria.

Provided you have a valid reason you have nothing to be worried about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Yester

Really? I never heard of this. It seems strange that I would have to explain why I want my own money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Stanford

Its due to the new anti money Laundering Law

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,106 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

A shade under €10k shouldn't raise questions.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

A shade under €10k shouldn't raise questions.

Multiple withdrawals under the limit over a period will also cause an investigation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

A while back I withdrew a large number of thousands Euro from a bank. They said that because of the size of the withdrawal I had to tell them what it was being used for.
    What is the maximum size of withdrawal that wouldn't lead me to being questioned in this manner?

As others have said, bank is under an obligation to ask. If you refuse to give a reason and they are any way suspicious as to where the funds are going (not giving a reason would make me suspicious, so would looking to find out what the max amount you wont be asked for) they are obliged to submit a suspicious activity report which will be reviewed by the AML team and could ultimately be reported to gardai. These obligations arent only in contracts of employment, theyre required by law and bank employees can be held personally responsible for failure to report.

Advertisement