Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Say something nice about RTE

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

titan18 wrote: »
    MT Cranium is more accurate and informative than RTE, as are several of the posters on the weather forum.

I'm talking about reports on the weather, not just forecasts. People generally use TV for that not Boards.
    After Hours, Politics forum, recently updated threads on the front page, Reddit World news and what they're linking to and BBC site.

RTE isn't a great source of news tbh. Sure, look at the one with the 7 kids and the coverage for her.

Sometimes you just want to watch news on TV not the internet and if you want Irish news then RTE is the place to go.
    Used to have is good. Also, why would I want to torture myself and watch Irish games.

Plenty of people want to watch Ireland games and they provide good coverage.
    So, did BT.

I'm talking about terrestrial TV not subscription channels.

You’ve probably also got 10+ news alerts over last few weeks referring to “upcoming travel chaos” or the sexual abuse reports from Pennsylvania.

The media coverage has been overwhelmingly negative.

From my point of view there seems to be a concerted effort to discourage as many people as possible from attending.

No there has been no other notifications about it and they do not give the church any negative coverage at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Lavh line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Their head line talk show presenters never fail to ask international personalities if they love ireland, and if so how, and have they any irish heritage...I mean, it can't be easy to remember to ask every one of them...but they do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Lyric FM alone is worth the licence fee.

What year are we in, 2006 ?

'New' Lyric, after Lyric went down the drain in RTE's greatest every crime against culture and the destruction of something it was doing well, is not worth a cent of anyone's money. It is the a horrendous blot on the RTE copybook, and nothing but an embarrassment to all concerned with it today. As for those responsible for its demise, hanging would be too good.

"Lyric in the rare old times.". Now there is something nice to say about RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Jean Byrne is very attractive.

Arghus wrote: »
    Jean Byrne is very attractive.

A ride.

'New' Lyric, after Lyric went down the drain in RTE's greatest every crime against culture and the destruction of something it was doing well, is not worth a cent of anyone's money. It is the a horrendous blot on the RTE copybook, and nothing but an embarrassment to all concerned with it today. As for those responsible for its demise, hanging would be too good.

Lyric still has some great moments.

Aul Liz, the ride.

The blue.

That guy on Sunday mornings. :)

It's not all bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

C_z18eEXUAE3tja.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Alison Spittle cheapens RTE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

RTE Chill and Lyric. Radio documentaries. Weather presenters on Rte for their knowledge. Weather presenters on TNG for other reasons.

Reeling in the years. The very odd TV documentary. The toy show. Some sports coverage. Man falling on ice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Interesting. Didn’t listen back then. I still think it’s ok now but defer to your greater knowledge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Chewbacca wrote: »
    Alison Spittle cheapens RTE

cheapens the human race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

The first season of Bachelors Walk was very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

They're keeping the Fair City actors employed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

murpho999 wrote: »
    So you never watch the news ?

I enjoy RTE. They have some good programmes.

The Irish news? Never. I read the news, watch a lot of foreign news. Don't consider most Irish news worth knowing about tbh, it's always centred around some filthy scrote acting the way scrotes do, or the gubberment is screwing us in some unexpe...unexp...nah, can't lie to myself - in some very expected way. What a surprise.

I liked Love/Hate. Been told to watch Young Offenders but been told it's ever-so-slightly hitting the wrong side of cheese like a knackery Last of the Summer Wine so I haven't bothered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

The problem with RTE news and current affairs is that it's too close to power and rarely asks a tough question. They've been sycophantic in relation to Varadkar and have indulged his publicity stunts.

It would be some stretch to say that RTE has a conservative bias, the place is stacked full of stickies.

The only thing RTE is good at is rewarding themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

They started showing Lost before Sky One did. They were something like five or six episodes ahead. Then some sporting event happened (I can't stand sport and my memory is bad so I have no idea what it was) and they stopped showing Lost for a couple of months and fell way behind Sky.

They have a couple of good music programs. Transatlantic Sessions has American musicians playing with Irish musicians. Then there's Come West Along The Road. They show old clips of Irish folk music. Having said that I haven't watched RTE in well over a year so I have no idea if either of those are still on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Monday and Tuesday night TV on Network 2 back in the 90s was genuinely excellent. Friends, X-Files, loads of quality TV shows months before they were shown in the UK.

Also their 2002 world cup montage (with the Feeder backing track) is one of the best montages I've seen anywhere. Still available on YouTube I think.

These days there's a lot less to be positive about. The only thing I can really think of at the moment is that Tony Connelly's coverage of Brexit for RTE News has been exceptionally good compared to the likes of the BBC who still haven't got a grasp of it two years on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

They employ irish actors and presenters , they make some good radio programs .Many programs eg the arts show on radio 1 , 7pm, would not be made by any private radio station.
    They show many good drama,s and comedys from the uk and
    the usa.
    Not everyone has cable tv or sky tv so they provide a good service.
    Eg i think its worth the licence fee .
    They make a limited amount of irish programs, drama,s but they have a small budget compared with uk channels.
    I ,m not sure that we really need 3 or 4 digital radio stations like lyric fm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,650 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

They are great at employing generations of the same families....

Yep nepotism at its finest.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,650 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

hqdefault.jpg

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

hqdefault.jpg

Legend , but rip I believe .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭jonbravo

The last picture show...great for an uneducated movie lover like me

Don't feed the gondolas... Just waiting for "3rd rock from the sun" to come on

RTE late night in hay day....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

They never try to push an agenda and I admire them for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭satguy

They know how to do Repeats !

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Waterways , Dick Warner

Hands

I liked the The Blizzard of Odd too.

The current crop of nature docs aren't bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Jude The Obscure

Pure Mule

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Iodine1

Without the various RTE services, Irish interest would have no coverage. Consider the position if we were relying on the BBC, Sky, CNN, Ch4 etc etc for Irish coverage. Now consider the amount of repeats on satellite channels. And Sky cost €500/ yr vs licence fee of €160. RTE is actually good value for money, however some presenters are way over paid, esp Tubridy and D'Arcy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Iodine1 wrote: »
    Without the various RTE services, Irish interest would have no coverage. Consider the position if we were relying on the BBC, Sky, CNN, Ch4 etc etc for Irish coverage. Now consider the amount of repeats on satellite channels. And Sky cost €500/ yr vs licence fee of €160. RTE is actually good value for money, however some presenters are way over paid, esp Tubridy and D'Arcy.

RTE is amongst the worst value for money out there, as we watch our money not being spent on the development of an industry, but simply on jobs for the boys relatives, and on outbidding private providers like TV3 for foreign programs. End result: our TV licence money gets flushed straight out of the economy, and into the pockets of a distributor based in the US, UK, Australia etc. That is absolutely not what TV licence money should be spent on.

Without RTE, the likes of TG4 would simply take their place in terms of funding - and they have shown an ability to do more with less oftentimes in a manner that reminds us just how poorly the money that RTE do not suck directly out of the national economy is used.

From 6pm - 1am tonight (22/08) RTE2 will be showing exactly zero Irish programming. Seven hours worth of money being sent abroad for a 30 year old movie, and a bunch of shows that will be on BBC/C4/etc anyway. That is how little of a sh*t they give about the development of a national industry and talent while they harp on about wanting more money. I was going to say 'compare that with the BBC' but why bother when you can compare it with TG4's much, much smaller budget with which they will be showing no less than seven home produced shows in that time (not including news/weather).

Let them produce dross, seriously do - at least it gives young people in the industry a chance to develop their talents and build their CVs/connections with which to create better stuff down the line. But this practice of demanding more money for their hilariously over inflated salaries, and even worse again, for the sole purpose of taking that money straight out of the country... that's not on and should not be legal (at the very most it should have a tiny, tiny cap).

RTE need to go, it's as simple as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Also their 2002 world cup montage (with the Feeder backing track) is one of the best montages I've seen anywhere. Still available on YouTube I think.
    https://youtu.be/KKw3EO3xpQc

It's the greatest thing they've ever done. Used to be used as the shutdown song on RTE2 every night for years afterwards.

I can't remember the last time I watched anything on any RTE channel. The snow coverage I watched on TV3, because they were broadcasting from very near my house.
    Last thing was probably the last Six Nations game they showed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Soccer Republic (even if they're forced to do it by the FAI under pain of losing Ole Ole coverage)

Love Hate

Reeling in the Years.

Morning Ireland

Prime Time

John Creedon

Sunday Game (I don't like the GAA but it's still good public service broadcasting).

A few varied examples to show where your licence fee should ideally go instead of competing with a million other stations doing syndicated drama, chat shows and pop music.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 70 ✭✭warsaw2018

this question comes up every year
    should i buy good winter shoes for my daughter or send 100 quid to tubridy
    :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

This x 1000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

Excellent programmes like Ireland's Deep Atlantic still get commissioned.

Billy86 wrote: »
    RTE is amongst the worst value for money out there, as we watch our money not being spent on the development of an industry, but simply on jobs for the boys relatives, and on outbidding private providers like TV3 for foreign programs. End result: our TV licence money gets flushed straight out of the economy, and into the pockets of a distributor based in the US, UK, Australia etc. That is absolutely not what TV licence money should be spent on.

Without RTE, the likes of TG4 would simply take their place in terms of funding - and they have shown an ability to do more with less oftentimes in a manner that reminds us just how poorly the money that RTE do not suck directly out of the national economy is used.

From 6pm - 1am tonight (22/08) RTE2 will be showing exactly zero Irish programming. Seven hours worth of money being sent abroad for a 30 year old movie, and a bunch of shows that will be on BBC/C4/etc anyway. That is how little of a sh*t they give about the development of a national industry and talent while they harp on about wanting more money. I was going to say 'compare that with the BBC' but why bother when you can compare it with TG4's much, much smaller budget with which they will be showing no less than seven home produced shows in that time (not including news/weather).

Let them produce dross, seriously do - at least it gives young people in the industry a chance to develop their talents and build their CVs/connections with which to create better stuff down the line. But this practice of demanding more money for their hilariously over inflated salaries, and even worse again, for the sole purpose of taking that money straight out of the country... that's not on and should not be legal (at the very most it should have a tiny, tiny cap).

RTE need to go, it's as simple as that.

This is a very poor selective argument.

Firstly, you are ignoring RTE 1 tonight which is mostly Irish programmes on tonight,made through Irish production companies.

Secondly, you do realise that RTE also need to attract viewers and have to show programmes that will attract numbers and therefore advertising revenues.

I’m not saying RTE is perfect, far from it but the Irish television scene would be a lot poorer without it as it would have very little programming relevant to Ireland on it.

It needs to change its ethos, get rid of the Angelus, have less chat shows, no English soaps, have a better player, change how its funded etc.

But these are all improvements that can be made rather than just saying “shut it down” which is a really poor option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Grainne Seoige has her knockers and she gets little airtime. I think we don't see enough of her and Miriam who also has her knockers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭meep

Star Bingo wrote: »
    They never try to push an agenda and I admire them for that.

You mustn't watch much of 'The Sunday Game'. There's an outragous degree of agenda pushing on that show from 'panelists' who spend seemingly 10% of their time analysing sports and the rest riding various hobby horses.

Or Liveline on the radio where bias is exhibited on an almost daily basis.

(and I say this as someone who is broadly supportive of RTE and doesn't mind paying my licence)

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Love Hate
    Can't Cope, Won't Cope
    The sports coverage

That's about it. TG4 is superior in almost every area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    TG4 is superior in almost every area.

Is it still end to end spaghetti Westerns, awful 'comedies' and soaps no-one watches?

This is a very poor selective argument.

Firstly, you are ignoring RTE 1 tonight which is mostly Irish programmes on tonight,made through Irish production companies.

Secondly, you do realise that RTE also need to attract viewers and have to show programmes that will attract numbers and therefore advertising revenues.

I’m not saying RTE is perfect, far from it but the Irish television scene would be a lot poorer without it as it would have very little programming relevant to Ireland on it.

It needs to change its ethos, get rid of the Angelus, have less chat shows, no English soaps, have a better player, change how its funded etc.

But these are all improvements that can be made rather than just saying “shut it down” which is a really poor option.

There is zero impetus to make any such improvements on their end, so they will never happen. Every single person on this thread is well aware of this, instead all we will get is "give us more money to Tubbs' bank account and to shift directly out of the country". That is not what they should be doing, and there is no excuse for it - the reason I compared to TG4 rather than BBC is that while BBC get a lot more money from a larger population, TG4 operate on a fraction of what RTE does and yet is managing to pump out domestic programming throughout tonight.

RTE do not have an interest in this because giving experience and exposure to younger or lesser known talents generates competition, which is antithetical to what RTE want, as it upsets the apple cart. It really is that simple, so instead they would rather give their 'inner circle' of family and friends the chances to flaunt their mediocrity to us all, and then throw the remainder right out of our national economy into a private distributor abroad instead.

A movie here or there, or using some 'dead time' very late and night etc for such things isn't the worst thing out there - but that is not what RTE are doing. They have two channels, one of which (RTE2) tonight is showing exactly ZERO Irish made programming. That should not be accepted under any circumstances whatsoever. It is an appallingly ran organisation with absolutely no care for any remit beyond looking after themselves, when that advertising money you speak of also just goes back into 'jobs for the boys' and funding foreign businesses.

As I said, TG4 is full of programming relevant, and made in, Ireland tonight. Giving them and others the licence fee money with a stern remit that it be used to such ends would be infinitely better than allowing RTE to simply use it to outbid private providers like TG3 for shows like Grand Designs, One Born Every Minute, The Walking Dead, and Saving Lives at Sea. RTE have shown they believe they are above any such remit and have for quite some time been openly hostile to any suggestion of change on this front when suggested. They have spat in the face of such opportunities for change too often and for too long, and simply need to be gone.

Is it still end to end spaghetti Westerns, awful 'comedies' and soaps no-one watches?
    It's full of domestic programming tonight for example (bar The Weakest Link at dinner time, and Mr Robot then Survivor very late at night) - http://entertainment.ie/tv/display.asp?channelid=83&programme=&programme_day=22+August+2018&programme_time=time6&submit=Search#

That gives opportunities to Irish actors, writers, make up artists, camera ops, puts money into Irish catering companies while shooting, Irish set and design artists and businesses that provide as much, gives potential exposure to young talent who can go on and make names for themselves, and keeps the money rotating around our own economy on top of keeping people in these industries off the dole which is an infamous problem within them due to RTE being a closed circle of who-you-know, while the likes of TG4 do not have the budget to employ on such a scale, and local production companies often struggle because rather than looking at their works, the national broadcaster is far more interested in buying in The Big Bang Theory, Neighbours, Home and Away, movies like The Martian, and more shows Elementary and Top Gear. These will all air on RTE2 tomorrow, from your and my own pockets.

Almost everyone in that industry was involved in a lot of woeful stuff while finding their feet, and much of BBC's output is terrible because they are testing waters and giving opportunities - this is how licence money should be used, and along the way they also hit on some gems that they sell abroad (the exact opposite of what RTE do, instead they would rather give the money to BBC for their shows because using our money to make our own stuff is apparently too hard for them) which gives more funding to re-invest in same.

Billy86 wrote: »
    There is zero impetus to make any such improvements on their end, so they will never happen. Every single person on this thread is well aware of this, instead all we will get is "give us more money to Tubbs' bank account and to shift directly out of the country". That is not what they should be doing, and there is no excuse for it - the reason I compared to TG4 rather than BBC is that while BBC get a lot more money from a larger population, TG4 operate on a fraction of what RTE does and yet is managing to pump out domestic programming throughout tonight.

RTE do not have an interest in this because giving experience and exposure to younger or lesser known talents generates competition, which is antithetical to what RTE want, as it upsets the apple cart. It really is that simple, so instead they would rather give their 'inner circle' of family and friends the chances to flaunt their mediocrity to us all, and then throw the remainder right out of our national economy into a private distributor abroad instead.

A movie here or there, or using some 'dead time' very late and night etc for such things isn't the worst thing out there - but that is not what RTE are doing. They have two channels, one of which (RTE2) tonight is showing exactly ZERO Irish made programming. That should not be accepted under any circumstances whatsoever. It is an appallingly ran organisation with absolutely no care for any remit beyond looking after themselves, when that advertising money you speak of also just goes back into 'jobs for the boys' and funding foreign businesses.

As I said, TG4 is full of programming relevant, and made in, Ireland tonight. Giving them and others the licence fee money with a stern remit that it be used to such ends would be infinitely better than allowing RTE to simply use it to outbid private providers like TG3 for shows like Grand Designs, One Born Every Minute, The Walking Dead, and Saving Lives at Sea. RTE have shown they believe they are above any such remit and have for quite some time been openly hostile to any suggestion of change on this front when suggested. They have spat in the face of such opportunities for change too often and for too long, and simply need to be gone.

So you’re ignoring all the Irish programmes on RTE One tonight.

TG4 do a decent job but how they have to do something to be different and how much do people really watch it?

They are also heavily funded by the state.

Also, shows like The Walkig Dead etc are popular and people want to see them. Not everybody has satellite TV.

If RTE didn’t bid for them they would be criticised for not showing top quality international shows.

Also, the “Tubbs” argument is very tired at this stage. Top presenters get paid well, that’s the way it is. It’s low compared to abroad but people just go on about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Lyric FM alone is worth the licence fee.
    A spotify account is cheaper.
    No doubt lots of people will say that they never watch RTE.

So they never watch the Irish news, weather, any sports match etc.

I never watch RTE. But I keep up to date with the news, weather and watch lots of sports. You may think that's impossible, but it's actually fairly easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Here we go with the RTE bashing.

No doubt lots of people will say that they never watch RTE.

So they never watch the Irish news, weather, any sports match etc.

I think the do a decent job, do some great documentaries in relation to Ireland.

The recent programmes by Charlie Bird, "After the headlines" has been a good watch as an example.

The one thing that annoys me in the station is the catholic bias.
    Still doing the Angelus and falling over themselves with the Pope's visit this week.

Even 5 minutes ago they sent out an iOS app notification that the "Pope is excited to be coming back to Ireland", that is not news and worthy of a news flash.

Technology today means you don't have to use RTE for any of those now
    Not knocking RTE just pointing out all you mentioned can be found elsewhwhere ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Malcontents on the internet giving out about the public service broadcaster isn’t confined to Ireland. I was surprised by that. Happens in Germany and the UK as well for example.

I’m sure an organisation like RTÉ is open to valid criticism and feedback, but angry cranks giving out on message boards are probably ignored. The types that never have anything good to say about anything. Pathological grumps. No one really listens to them about anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

So you’re ignoring all the Irish programmes on RTE One tonight.

TG4 do a decent job but how they have to do something to be different and how much do people really watch it?

They are also heavily funded by the state.

Also, shows like The Walkig Dead etc are popular and people want to see them. Not everybody has satellite TV.

If RTE didn’t bid for them they would be criticised for not showing top quality international shows.

Also, the “Tubbs” argument is very tired at this stage. Top presenters get paid well, that’s the way it is. It’s low compared to abroad but people just go on about it.

Someone worked out once that if Tubs worked for the BBC his proportionally calculated salary would be in the region of 13.5 million. I would consider that well paid. It is also an outrageous scam of the taxpayer by a self-perpetuating, nepotistic and over-priveleged circle.
    No wonder they don't want to rock the boat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

They have 2 amazing orchestras.

Steve F wrote: »
    Technology today means you don't have to use RTE for any of those now
    Not knocking RTE just pointing out all you mentioned can be found elsewhwhere ;)

So you want to see a visual report on something that happened in Ireland how would you get that?

International news agencies don't carry Irish news that much.

• Advertisement
Advertisement