Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Say something nice about RTE

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

murpho999 wrote: »
    So you want to see a visual report on something that happened in Ireland how would you get that?

International news agencies don't carry Irish news that much.

Hi murpho999
    As I said,not really criticizing RTE just pointing out that they are not the be all and end all now for getting Irish news as they used to be before technology really took off and the things you mentioned in your post are definitely available without using the RTE platform
    As for "visual report" news is news regardless of whether you "see" it or not and I don't think I've found myself feeling uninformed because I have only read about something and not seen it on a TV/Smartphone screen.
    If for some reason RTE suddenly ceased to be,life would carry on.Just like everything else in life :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

So you’re ignoring all the Irish programmes on RTE One tonight.

TG4 do a decent job but how they have to do something to be different and how much do people really watch it?

They are also heavily funded by the state.

Also, shows like The Walkig Dead etc are popular and people want to see them. Not everybody has satellite TV.

If RTE didn’t bid for them they would be criticised for not showing top quality international shows.

Also, the “Tubbs” argument is very tired at this stage. Top presenters get paid well, that’s the way it is. It’s low compared to abroad but people just go on about it.
    I'm not ignoring their the RTE1 programming, I am saying that only using one of their two stations to show anything domestic is inexcusable. A workaround on that end would be to axe RTE2, move the paltry amount of Irish programming they have on that over to RTE1, and slash their funding as a result. But you know as well as I do that RTE would absolutely refuse to even entertain such an idea in any realistic way.

Let TV3 bid for the likes of The Walking Dead, they are a private provider and are absolutely free to do so. Instead, they are getting outbid by RTE who are using your, mine, and everyone else's licence fees to do so rather than using that money on creating domestic programming and nurturing our industry which is how it should be used. Nobody needs satellite TV to access them. Any money spent on international programming by RTE should be at most, extremely minimal and only if available at absolute 'bargain basement' prices to fill some dead time.

Nobody criticises the BBC for not buying in costly shows from abroad en masse, do they?

The TV licence fee is €160, of which there were 1.019mn sold last year - north of €163mn. Of that €163mn, TG4 received €4.245mn - roughly 2.6%. An additional 7% went to BAI (around €11.5mn). That leaves just over 90% of the total (over €146mn) in RTE's pockets - 34 times the amount of TG4. TG4 more than justify the €4.245mn got when you look at what they are producing on a domestic level, while RTE's use of €146mn would be is a joke not worth even laughing at. Given RTE's non-existent attitude down the years towards fixing this, the only answer is to divert the funds elsewhere to those who will use it more properly.

What makes the RTE 'top' presenters exactly, by the way? Can you let me know what other stations RTE is battling to hold on to their contracts that makes them worth so much money that they have to take advantage of loopholes to pay them so much? Who is offering Ryan Tubridy close to half a million Euro that RTE need to hold on to him, or Ray D'Arcy €400k plus? Or Miriam O'Callaghan, Marian Finucane and Sean O'Rourke in the region of €300k? Please enlighten me as to who is offering this level of pay that RTE has to match to hold on to them, I would be fascinated to know.

Also, how do these wages compare to countries of similar size on their national broadcasters? Off of a quick google search it appears that Tubridy would be the sixth highest paid presenter on the BBC, despite how much smaller out licence fee take is (and the fact that unlike the BBC, RTE do not make a lot of money off selling shows abroad due to not being arsed trying to compete on that front). BBC's highest paid presenter is Gary Lineker at £1.75mn (€1.95mn), with their licence fee intake coming to £3.7bn (€4.1bn), for a show that is massively popular on a global basis and sold to markets abroad, including NBC in the US. If we scale that up for how much Tubridy gets out of our licence fee, it would come to €12m (£10.8mn) - that is the level of unacceptable cronyism and 'jobs for the relatives' RTE basks in, and it is frankly sickening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

So you want to see a visual report on something that happened in Ireland how would you get that?

International news agencies don't carry Irish news that much.

What would I want to see a visual report on? Recent storms? Then I'll go to boards.ie or twitter. Political news? Irish times online. I literally haven't watched RTE news in any form in at least 4 years. I reckon I've seen it in a pub or someone elses house maybe for a combined total of 30 minutes in 12 years. I rather read a story than watch a reporter read it out in front of a camera.
    Weather forecast? Met.ie app. The idea of waiting to watch a weather forecast on the TV is fúcking weird imho. And I check the forecast every day. I haven't had RTE available on my TV since last year, when I did have it, it was almost never used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

The next Late Late Toy Show is to be televised in London.

... Just don't let the Montrose spies catch you mention that Hamleys toys in Dublin has closed.

..So far all preparations are going fine and Billy Barry are "winning" the performance competitions.

Don't say the "SMYTHS" holy name in vain !!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

Iodine1 wrote: »
    Without the various RTE services, Irish interest would have no coverage. Consider the position if we were relying on the BBC, Sky, CNN, Ch4 etc etc for Irish coverage. Now consider the amount of repeats on satellite channels. And Sky cost €500/ yr vs licence fee of €160. RTE is actually good value for money, however some presenters are way over paid, esp Tubridy and D'Arcy.

A fair bit of the Irish financial crisis was broken by foreign news agencies and if I recall correctly, the Fr. Brendan Smith scandal was broken by BBC NI spotlight. No problem for them to go after priests now of course, and as for evidence, who needs that - they'll simply destroy an innocent man's reputation.

Then there's election manipulation - who can forget Pat Kenny's broadcasting of the uncorroborated fake tweet that torpedoed Gallagher's presidential campaign last time around.

RTE regularly fails to question the prevailing narrative, or indeed the narrative that it wants to push. Indeed, the pushback seen on Twitter and here in relation to Ms. Cash is illustrative of that - but nowhere in RTE.

The fact that something's are never questioned, particularly by the national broadcaster ultimately will lead to the conversation abandoning them and then it can descend into extremes or be manipulated by much more malign forces.

If the whole place was disbanded, the only people that would miss it are those who live on its gravy train and those who agenda it pushes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,551 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Up to me balls in Bibi Baskin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

John Creedon's a sweetheart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Cienciano wrote: »
    What would I want to see a visual report on? Recent storms? Then I'll go to boards.ie or twitter. Political news? Irish times online. I literally haven't watched RTE news in any form in at least 4 years. I reckon I've seen it in a pub or someone elses house maybe for a combined total of 30 minutes in 12 years. I rather read a story than watch a reporter read it out in front of a camera.
    Weather forecast? Met.ie app. The idea of waiting to watch a weather forecast on the TV is fúcking weird imho. And I check the forecast every day. I haven't had RTE available on my TV since last year, when I did have it, it was almost never used.

To quote the 'great Bob', .....'you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.'

• Site Banned Posts: 210 ✭✭Sardine

They gave poor Lottie Ryan a job based on merit.
    It's actually a bit of a scandal isn't it? As far as I know she has a paid job for 2FM? Is this not full on nepotism in the public service?

Sardine wrote: »
    They gave poor Lottie Ryan a job based on merit.
    It's actually a bit of a scandal isn't it? As far as I know she has a paid job for 2FM? Is this not full on nepotism in the public service?

Standard as can be, I'm working through an agency in the public sector and the nepotism is insane - nobody even tries to hide it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Kivaro wrote: »
    At least they are consistent.

Consistently bad with their programming.
    Consistently bad with their ultra-liberal presenter/reporter bias on social and political topics.
    Consistently bad for overpaying their "talent".
    Consistently bad in advocating for ever-increasing TV license fees (tax).

And that's all the nice things that I have to say about RTE.

It was ultra Conservative for years and that was sh1te too. So perhaps you should park your Liberal / Conservative boxes and deal with reality..

Billy86 wrote: »
    Standard as can be, I'm working through an agency in the public sector and the nepotism is insane - nobody even tries to hide it.

Where in the PS? I have friends and family who are civil servants and the whole recruitment process is very transparent, I can't see how nepotism could favour anyone there.

Sardine wrote: »
    Where in the PS? I have friends and family who are civil servants and the whole recruitment process is very transparent, I can't see how nepotism could favour anyone there.

Best not to say directly but you should find it in my post history. Let's say it's a body that has been in the news a lot, pretty much always for bad reasons (if that narrows it down at all :D ).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I think John Creedon's programmes are quite good. His "Road less travelled" was really interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Their archives website is excellent, would spend hours looking at old news clips etc on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,579 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

It's very normal to watch a news report.

For example, bad snow ealrier in the year, abortion referendum or any other news event.

It's completely normally to watch a news programme for updates, debate and discussion and you can't get all of that on the internet.

Most people would watch the news on TV despite the people on here who claim they don't trying to make out that that is the norm when it's not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Mary Kennedy!

She's like a fine wine.

Ok I don't like anything they do on TV, but I love Morning Ireland.
    I used to like Drive Time on my way home from work, but since that Sarah McWagonface is on I can't listen to it any more. So now it's over to Ivan Yates who's the best of a bad choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

John Creedon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

They take the LLS of the air for 3 months. thank fcuk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭furiousox

Sharon-Ni-Bheolain1.jpg

CPL 593H

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

https://www.rte.ie/culture/2018/0802/982777-upstairs-in-the-cellar-30-years-in-irelands-oldest-comedy-club/
    On any given week, audiences could be treated to comedic heavyweights such as David O'Doherty, Neil Delamere and Alison Spittle,

At first I was going "but Alison isn't a heavy... " then "Oh right..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Strumpet City
    Come West Along the Road
    Ashling Gheal
    Hands
    The Irish RM
    Love/Hate
    Pure Mule
    Prosperity (Precursor to Adam & Paul, featured some of the same characters)
    The Pure Drop
    Fleadh Cheoil
    The Willie Clancy Sessions
    Pat Short's look back programme (Can't remember name)
    Old Late, Late Shows (Brendan Gleeson's rant about the hospital waiting lists at A&E being one of the last good ones I remember, he played a tune on the fiddle on the same show as well)
    No Disco
    Under Ether
    Dave Fanning Hour or whatever it was called, was it Eleventh Hour?

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Thankfully RTE are in Ireland. That's the nice part over.

TV licence...is Ireland for real?......how 1960's

Are Irish unable to make TV licence an election issue?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

They've had some excellent to good shows down the years, amidst all the rubbish and housing crap. I guess most have been mentioned, Love/Hate, Reeling, Hands etc., but I think so far no one has mentioned Soupy Norman, Other Voices or Top Thirty Hits? The Den was great too when I was a child back in the 90s. That young economist fella had a decent daytime talk show years ago too, far too short was my memory of it, they'd only be getting going on a debate before it would be over and some old woman show would come on for a few hours.. I also quite enjoyed The View for it's horizon broadening content. Of course this was mostly pre-internet for me, so the rare cultural and wider political programs were really appreciated

• Advertisement

It's very normal to watch a news report.

For example, bad snow ealrier in the year, abortion referendum or any other news event.

It's completely normally to watch a news programme for updates, debate and discussion and you can't get all of that on the internet.

Most people would watch the news on TV despite the people on here who claim they don't trying to make out that that is the norm when it's not.

I didn't say it wasn't normal to watch the news. You do not need RTE for anything you mentioned. And as I said earlier, I bet you the boards.ie thread in the weather forum on snow was 100 times better and more informative than anything RTE had on the news.
    A quick google tells me that on average 430k people watch the news on rte, so most people don't watch it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭briany

Their radio documentary archive is fantastic. Say what you like about some of the overpaid presenters working the TV gigs, but radio stuff like that has been made by people you can tell have a great passion for it. People like Ronan Kelly are excellent at what they do.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I didn't say it wasn't normal to watch the news. You do not need RTE for anything you mentioned. And as I said earlier, I bet you the boards.ie thread in the weather forum on snow was 100 times better and more informative than anything RTE had on the news.
    A quick google tells me that on average 430k people watch the news on rte, so most people don't watch it.
    Yeah but you also had to put up with all the trolls and crap in the snow thread :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

RTE Gold is an alright station, and the Toy Show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Nationwide does nice pieces on all aspects of Irish life, it's a treasure trove.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

They are good at hiding bodies, where is secret producer gone to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

They are very diverse with regards to their programming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Siun nic Gearailt

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Nationwide does nice pieces on all aspects of Irish life, it's a treasure trove.
    Hit and miss, worth recording and skimming through though.

RTE2 , and TG4 , do the odd foreign gem too

Deutschland 83

¡Vampiros en La Habana!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

They pay large amounts of compensation when they make programs based on lies like on Prime Time Investigates where they falsely accused a priest of sexual abuse, and pay large amounts of compensation when they read out things like a fake tweet to turn an election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭blade1

All the other programs on it are brilliant when you compare them to The Ray Darcy Show. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

They had a really groovy testcard in the early 1970s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Wanderly Wagon was great.
    Likewise, Forty Coats.
    MT USA was great especially for those of us confined to two channels.
    I enjoyed Love Hate.
    There, I've surprised myself. I've said some nice things about RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

RobertKK wrote: »
    They pay large amounts of compensation when they make programs based on lies like on Prime Time Investigates where they falsely accused a priest of sexual abuse, and pay large amounts of compensation when they read out things like a fake tweet to turn an election.
    They were also kind enough and wise enough to accept €1.24 million of the outstanding €2.4 million settlement due from Beverly Cooper Flynn in 2007. And of course, in 2008 the fantastic news that she had re-joined FF was announced.

Soupy Norman was good

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

They ended Love Hate - that's worth one month of the fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Other voices... The most pretentious music show on TV...

My favourite interview was with some young pretenders from London who kept referring to their "squat"... When pressed on their "squat" it became apparent they lived with their mammys and the "squat" was their rehearsal room

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Other voices... The most pretentious music show on TV...

My favourite interview was with some young pretenders from London who kept referring to their "squat"... When pressed on their "squat" it became apparent they lived with their mammys and the "squat" was their rehearsal room

Really ? Jesus wept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

The good thing about RTE is that I haven't a clue what this thread is about because I can only get a Satellite TV connection where I live so I've never ever watched RTE.

my3cents wrote: »
    The good thing about RTE is that I haven't a clue what this thread is about because I can only get a Satellite TV connection where I live so I've never ever watched RTE.
    I get rte and TG4 on satellite.

They were also kind enough and wise enough to accept €1.24 million of the outstanding €2.4 million settlement due from Beverly Cooper Flynn in 2007. And of course, in 2008 the fantastic news that she had re-joined FF was announced.
    This still irks me :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I cant think of one good thing. Only glad we have Netflix and boxsets. Havent seen rte in years. Not intending to watch it anytime soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

RTE S late late show in the 60s,70s was an awakening for Ireland culturally. They weren't afraid to tackle taboo topics which was unheard of at the time. Homosexuality, Contraception, Religion. Nothing was off limits

Referring to Gay Byrne, Bishop of Galway Michael Browne called him "a purveyor of filth" after he asked a woman what colour nightie she wore on her wedding night.

Their presenters die off eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I get rte and TG4 on satellite.

Aren't you the UNLUCKY one :D

• Advertisement

my3cents wrote: »
    Honest question though I'm fairly certain I know the answer - since RTE are unable to provide you with access to their TV channels even if you wanted them, do they exempt you from the TV licence that is intended for the upkeep of those same channels they are unable to provide to you?

Advertisement