Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Say something nice about RTE

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Billy86 wrote: »
    Honest question though I'm fairly certain I know the answer - since RTE are unable to provide you with access to their TV channels even if you wanted them, do they exempt you from the TV licence that is intended for the upkeep of those same channels they are unable to provide to you?

Even if you have a broken TV you need a license.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

murpho999 wrote: »
    Here we go with the RTE bashing.

No doubt lots of people will say that they never watch RTE.

So they never watch the Irish news, weather, any sports match etc.

I think the do a decent job, do some great documentaries in relation to Ireland.

The recent programmes by Charlie Bird, "After the headlines" has been a good watch as an example.

The one thing that annoys me in the station is the catholic bias.
    Still doing the Angelus and falling over themselves with the Pope's visit this week.

Even 5 minutes ago they sent out an iOS app notification that the "Pope is excited to be coming back to Ireland", that is not news and worthy of a news flash.

The Saorview box is untouched and gathering dust. Not worth powering up in the off chance something interesting may pop up on TG4.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Nitrogan

Living abroad you rely on having some neutral source of information about home.

RTE is more important than ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

blade1 wrote: »
    Even if you have a broken TV you need a license.

I figured, bit of a farce though when they're charging someone for upkeep of something they're not giving them access to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Billy86 wrote: »
    Honest question though I'm fairly certain I know the answer - since RTE are unable to provide you with access to their TV channels even if you wanted them, do they exempt you from the TV licence that is intended for the upkeep of those same channels they are unable to provide to you?

No still have to have a licence but I believe when the system went digital I could have applied for a box that would have given me the connection via Satellite for free.

• Advertisement
Advertisement