Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning item to Irish eBay seller under warranty - who pays postage?

Options
  • 21-08-2018 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I bought an item online from an Irish eBay seller last November. It has now stopped working. Seller has confirmed that it is covered by a one year warranty and has asked that I return it at my cost and to also include a return stamped envelope for return to me. I would have thought the seller might cover the postage. I asked the seller this and they referred to Distance seller regulations and that the customer is required to pay both the cost of return to seller and the return back to the customer. Is that correct?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,014 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Distance sales would be for returning an item as unwanted, not faulty. The seller is liable for shipping on faulty items.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,129 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Did you use PayPal? Thread in bargain alerts about PayPal covering return shipping

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭gooner99

Caranica wrote: »
    Did you use PayPal? Thread in bargain alerts about PayPal covering return shipping

Yes would have used PayPal. Will take a look at that.

L1011 wrote: »
    Distance sales would be for returning an item as unwanted, not faulty. The seller is liable for shipping on faulty items.

Thanks. Do you have a link to the legislation that covers return of goods under warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,014 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act covers this here - not warranties specifically but consumer rights in general

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act covers this here - not warranties specifically but consumer rights in general

Do you know the exact passage that states the seller must cover the shipping. I just know they will chance it again otherwise. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Laws have changed since I had to honor warranties but when I did I expected the buyer to take the hit on the cost of returning the item to me and then it was at my cost to return the fixed or replacement item.

my3cents wrote: »
    Laws have changed since I had to honor warranties but when I did I expected the buyer to take the hit on the cost of returning the item to me and then it was at my cost to return the fixed or replacement item.

Oh . That might be the case?

I certainly didn't expext to pay both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

my3cents wrote: »

The law hasn't changed in that regard to my knowledge. The retailer was always required to pay both the return and the re shipping costs in the case of a faulty item. No ifs ands or buts. Keep pushing Op they should be covering all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,994 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

rex-x wrote: »
    The law hasn't changed in that regard to my knowledge. The retailer was always required to pay both the return and the re shipping costs in the case of a faulty item. No ifs ands or buts. Keep pushing Op they should be covering all costs.

This, the seller is responsible for postage if the goods are faulty. What some do is require the person to post back at their expense and when it's found to be faulty the seller reimburses postage. The seller returning the repaired item has to pay also.

If the item is faulty it's at no cost to the purchaser, if they change their mind it's up to the sellers T&Cs who pays for returns.

• Advertisement

OmegaGene wrote: »
    PayPal will cover the return postage to a value of €30
    Take a pic of the parcel/packet you’re returning and also a pic of the receipt
    Payment can take up to five working days but lately I’ve been getting it very quick
    It’s much easier going down this route now rather than arguing back and forth with eBay sellers I think

Do they cover the postage of warranty returns?

Advertisement