Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop won't boot - "bootmgr image is corrupt the system boot cannot be found"

Options
  • 21-08-2018 8:09pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lenovo x240 - giving the error: bootmgr image is corrupt the system boot cannot be found - on boot and wont go any futher.

Sounds like the harddrivee could be toast, but is this something I can recover from? Could I get data off the hard drive if I took it out and plugged it into my pc? Or does this need data recovery?

I've tried booting to a live usb - gets to the windows logo but wont go any further. Tried a windows iso - it does work but some steps that should take a seconds take forever. I got to the "Repair" tab - clicking next took 30 mins before it showed up. I clicked the Startup Repair and its been running for 2 hours on 'Attempting repairs'.

Any other ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Zascar wrote: »
    Lenovo x240 - giving the error: bootmgr image is corrupt the system boot cannot be found - on boot and wont go any futher.

Sounds like the harddrivee could be toast, but is this something I can recover from? Could I get data off the hard drive if I took it out and plugged it into my pc? Or does this need data recovery?

I've tried booting to a live usb - gets to the windows logo but wont go any further. Tried a windows iso - it does work but some steps that should take a seconds take forever. I got to the "Repair" tab - clicking next took 30 mins before it showed up. I clicked the Startup Repair and its been running for 2 hours on 'Attempting repairs'.

Any other ideas?

Is it a SSD or HDD? If you can plug it into your PC and copy what files you can run a chkdsk if it comes back with errors you need a new disk. It sounds like bootable USB is trying to write files to the local disk and is unable to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

Have you tried a live ubuntu usb?

You can also try to fixmbr using that.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootSectorFix

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Zascar wrote: »

Any other ideas?

Your drive is being seen by the startup sequence. But the bootmgr cant be found. Id suggest you 1st get any data you want off it by having it mounted as an external drive on another machine. Once you get the data off, youll feel easier about rewriting boot manager or whatever.

Advertisement