Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name for a football website

Options
  • 21-08-2018 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hey everyone!

I'm starting a football news website that will mainly be covering the European leagues. Really struggling to think of good name, literally every decent domain name I think of is taken.

My best idea so far is GlobalFootballDaily.com and that doesn't exactly sounds too catchy.

My only requirement is that the domain name must be news related to increase the chances of getting accepted into Google News.

Would really appreciate any ideas :)

Please don't mention anything about how competitive the market is, I've already built and sold a few semi-successful football websites.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Footballtimes and footballexpress both have decent domains available.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭KBD85

Are you willing to pay a couple of grand for a good domain on a site like sedo?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 eliterank

€100 is the max for a domain, would rather invest a couple of grand into content and SEO. What does everyone think of offsidedaily?

BallandAll.com

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

StickItInThe.net is available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 eliterank

Them names are great ideas but I'm hoping for a domain that sounds more like a news site.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

four411

Any domain registrars that allow you to place two columns of words and check all possible combinations or just use a program to do it and check the ones you like?

You're not the only one reading this thread who will register a good domain I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭jmcc

eliterank wrote: »
    Hey everyone!

I'm starting a football news website that will mainly be covering the European leagues. Really struggling to think of good name, literally every decent domain name I think of is taken.
    First off, you are building a brand. Secondly, you are building a brand. Thirdly you are building a brand. Forget about all those generic and difficult to defend terms. You need a domain name that stands out and is memorable.
    My best idea so far is GlobalFootballDaily.com and that doesn't exactly sounds too catchy.
    You will have US vistors wondering where to find the news on the NFL.

If you do come up with a viable name, register it before you post details about it.

Regards...jmcc

In my experience the vast vast majority of your target market only care about the top 6 teams in the premier league, Barca and real and how Ronaldo is getting on at juventus. Vast majority.

What has been a successful formula for you with your previous websites content?

• Advertisement

jmcc wrote: »
    First off, you are building a brand. Secondly, you are building a brand. Thirdly you are building a brand. Forget about all those generic and difficult to defend terms. You need a domain name that stands out and is memorable.

You will have US vistors wondering where to find the news on the NFL.

If you do come up with a viable name, register it before you post details about it.

Regards...jmcc

I agree. With the amount of competition in this area which is vast, spending money on SEO I believe will do SFA for you. You need a catchy name, and build your site with quality content. Then the brand will evolve. What football sites get the most traffic at the moment, that are basically news sites? Goal.com - teamtalk.com - ireland - balls.ie
    Entering a market so mature its almost on a zimmer frame and trying to outdo them with a couple of G's spent on SEO you'll just waste your money because the rest of them are outspending you by a vast multiple.

I'd love to know of a website you built up and sold previously in this niche as it really is incredibly competitive from the sites above never mind the sites you find when googling "[any major newspaper name] football"

Advertisement