Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

goodfellas pizza disappearing from dunnes

Options
  • 21-08-2018 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭

Usually have a goodfellas bacon and mushroom pizza once a week .They used always be on offer in dunnes for 2 euro or 3 for €6 etc.Lately they are not in the freezer at all and i have noticed the shelf space for other goodfellallas pizza is getting smaller every week .
    Anyone with an idea what is up???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Goodfellas was bought from Green Isle earlier in the year, so maybe they’ve changed their strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,012 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They are still on continuous offer in Tesco. Dunnes have never stocked Goodfellas premium range in my local (and large) branch, not sure if it is chain wide but if it is it would suggest they may not have a current promotional arrangement with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,923 ✭✭✭✭Sadb

Birds eye have bought the pizza division from green isle so may be a logistical issue while the changeover is occurring.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

€2 for a pizza... I'm scared to think what it's actually made from....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Bread, cheese and tomato sauce. It's not exactly luxury ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I think you're just getting screwed where you're paying. None of them are made from very expensive stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

2 large pizzas in Dominos was 22 euro its now gone up to 24 Euro.bstards i could buy 12 good fellas pizza s for that.

There is still a decent profit margin on that. Pizza is incredibly cheap to make in volume

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Flour
    Yeast
    Water
    Salt
    Pasata
    Garlic
    Basil
    Mozzarella
    Pepperoni
    Olive Oil

It's incredibly cheap to make at home. Only the cheese and pepperoni would not already be in stock in our kitchen.

Quite messy though. . . .although worth it for the quality results, if I do say so myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

As has already been pointed out, the ingredients are cheap. And the assembly process is fully automated so labour costs are minimal - it's all done by robots. They show it now and again on 'How it's made', I think it might have been filmed in a Green Isle factory in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Aye I know it's cheap if you use very cheap ingredients. My point was that good ingredients aren't that cheap. For two pounds you are definitely getting the cheapest of the cheap ingredients.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

You'd make better and cheaper yourself.

The "free delivery" pizzas have a large margin built in for delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Aye I know it's cheap if you use very cheap ingredients. My point was that good ingredients aren't that cheap. For two pounds you are definitely getting the cheapest of the cheap ingredients.

It’s probably on a par with that grotesque meat and cheese you get in Subway rolls.

You could make it at home for €2 using quality ingredients and that's without the scale of (whoever bought them off) Green Isle.

People compare pizza prices to those charged by takeaways. They are charging hundreds to thousands of % margin over ingredient cost to pay for premises, late night staffing costs, insurance, rates, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

which ones scare you? Do you eat premade pizza, or in restaurants at all? of so do you do anything to ensure the potentially scary ingredients are up to an acceptable standard? as obviously there is nothing to stop an expensive restaurant sourcing some of the scarier ingredients from the same place as the 2euro pizza producers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

The 65c Double Pepperoni pizza from Aldi is restaurant quality.

fussyonion wrote: »
    The 65c Double Pepperoni pizza from Aldi is restaurant quality.

Some restaurants are ****e though.

Have to say their “Specially Selected” one is really good, Lidl do a similar sourdough one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Psychlops

cute geoge wrote: »
    Usually have a goodfellas bacon and mushroom pizza once a week .They used always be on offer in dunnes for 2 euro or 3 for €6 etc.Lately they are not in the freezer at all and i have noticed the shelf space for other goodfellallas pizza is getting smaller every week .
    Anyone with an idea what is up???

In my local Dunnes we have a big freezer section & Goodfellas have a monopoly on the Pizza section in the freezer, perhaps they are going by Sales, generally if a product is not selling well it becomes less frequent & what is known as Delisted (Not Available Anymore) IE poor sales = why bother to stock it.

That's my 2 cents but where I shop it is a mountain of Goodfellas/Dr Oetker & their own range.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

theteal wrote: »
    Flour
    Yeast
    Water
    Salt
    Pasata
    Garlic
    Basil
    Mozzarella
    Pepperoni
    Olive Oil

It's incredibly cheap to make at home. Only the cheese and pepperoni would not already be in stock in our kitchen.

Quite messy though. . . .although worth it for the quality results, if I do say so myself.

I have all these things (except pepperoni, which I don't like anyway) Now what do I do?

Yester wrote: »
    I have all these things (except pepperoni, which I don't like anyway) Now what do I do?

Dedicate a few hours to reading various threads over in Food and some time for experimentation.

Making pizza is easy and messy; its not worth doing it to be cheap for small volumes but if you've a big family or a party it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

Quite messy though dough. . . .although worth it for the quality results, if I do say so myself.
    FYP:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Don't like Goodfellas except for the extra thin base. The Deep pan was the height of teenage cuisine in the mid 90's though. Bacon and mushroom being the Pinnacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Yester wrote: »

That’s the bones of a fairly simple recipe from the bbc food site iirc.

Flour, yeast, salt, water, oil - all go together to make the base. Mixing is the messy bit. Leave to rest for an hour and then flatten/stretch out to the size you want your pizzas

Passata, crushed garlic and chopped/dry basil - makes a nice quick sauce.

Cheese and whatever you want on top. A little oil on top and around edges and then bang into as hot an oven as you’ve got.

As mentioned, it’s not really something you’d do for one (unless eager to experiment) but I’d semi-regularly go to the effort for 3+ people. It’s always well received - except once I misguidedly used green olives, don’t do that :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Guffy

Flour
    Yeast
    Water
    Salt
    Pasata
    Garlic
    Basil
    Mozzarella
    Pepperoni
    Olive Oil

If you dont have a stone oven your only kidding yourself on quality of your home pizza. Is it nicer than a frozen one? Sure, why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Guffy wrote: »
    If you dont have a stone oven your only kidding yourself on quality of your home pizza. Is it nicer than a frozen one? Sure, why not.

If you don't cook your pizza in a wood fired oven with original Italian ingredients picked by Giovanni himself from the Cinque Terre then why bother :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Guffy

redcup342 wrote: »
    If you don't cook your pizza in a wood fired oven with original Italian ingredients picked by Giovanni himself from the Cinque Terre then why bother :pac:

Exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The Limited Edition pulled pork was epic but didn't last long. I find that certain shops tend to stock the same flavours. I have learned that Joyces is the best place to find the meat fiesta & Supervalu the worst.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

These pizza factories e.g. Portumna are built on high volume but very low margins so it’s all about volume volume volume, spread the overheads and minimal labour costs, their staff turnover is massive

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Spread the overheads not the toppings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

Go to a shop that stocks them. Dunnes have no legal obligation to stock them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement