Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for apartment dogs

Options
  • 21-08-2018 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hey, planning on adopting a dog. I really don’t want to buy. But also I live in an apartment and from leaving for work until returning home is about 9.5 hours. Are there any dogs suited to this environment? I really don’t want to put a dog into a position that wouldn’t be good for them. Was also thinking of adopting two so that they would have each other during the day

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Leaving any dog for 9.5 hours every day is not okay in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Idonotknow

alroley wrote: »
    Leaving any dog for 9.5 hours every day is not okay in my opinion.

Heartbreaking but it’s good to know. Would hate myself if I was doing something that wasn’t good for the dog :(

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

You are probably better going over and asking in the animal and pets forum.

Most dogs will be happy to be left indoors while you are at work so long as they have been raised that way and you bring them for walks every day. I have shelties which are high energy and they cope fine - in fact they are exhausted when I'm off because they are so used to getting sleep during the day. But they get good walks/runs every day when I get home. I can't imagine having them in an apartment though because always letting them out for toilet breaks and I would think it would be awkward in an apartment.

From what I have heard over in the animals and pets forum, grey hounds work well as they are quite a laid back breed.

Cows Go µ wrote: »
    You are probably better going over and asking in the animal and pets forum.

Most dogs will be happy to be left indoors while you are at work so long as they have been raised that way and you bring them for walks every day. I have shelties which are high energy and they cope fine - in fact they are exhausted when I'm off because they are so used to getting sleep during the day. But they get good walks/runs every day when I get home. I can't imagine having them in an apartment though because always letting them out for toilet breaks and I would think it would be awkward in an apartment.

From what I have heard over in the animals and pets forum, grey hounds work well as they are quite a laid back breed.

Thanks! I could not find an animals and pets forum, I must being going daft, I will take a look there! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

None.

1. It's not fair to a dog to leave it alone during the day, particularly a rescue dog that might have issues

2. Most management companies have rules to ban dogs

3. In an apartment building a dog barking will disturb so many people. They are not a good match for high density living.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

People who adopt a dog who live in apartments often hand the dog back because of destructive issues that they don't know the reason of.

The reason is always boredom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I don't think you would pass the adoption tests in this situation tbh. We recently rehomed and part of the process was them checking how long the dog would be left alone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Apartments do not allow pets- particularly dogs- without exception.
    Check your lease- what you're proposing is a non-starter.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Try it out with a tamogachi.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi Op

my friend was in the same situation as you. he adopted 2 older (mature) dogs, and they keep each other company when he was at work . a quick walk in the morning before work, and they are great company for the evenings/weekends.

if you take a look at the conditions of these older dogs they have dont get adopted much, and the conditions they are kept in in the pound, i challenge anyone here to tell me they are not better off in a loving home, with your attention and love evenings and weekends.

given your apartment situation you had better check the lease/T&C's and make sure you are allowed before hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

The best apartment dog is a cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

Based on your other post today about troubles with your flatmate I don't think its a good time to get a dog. Very hard to rent with dogs if you are not going to be buying and your current situation changes. Its a lot of responsibility owning a dog and can tie you down a lot so you have to be aware of that. You would have to get clearance from your landlord and the management company etc. as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

“Without exception” is clearly wrong. It is not common but there are plenty of apartments which allow pets on a case by case basis. A usual lease covenant is that”No bird, dog, cat may be kept without [OMC] permission”. Inclusion of such a clause raises a reasonable expectation that a pet which does not cause nuisance should be permitted. Personally I am it’s dan of dogs being kept in an apartment but I had a next door neighbour who kept a golden retriever (11 years old) with permission. That got had only ever lived in an apartment environment (previously in Canada and the UK) and never caused a problem.

Other neighbours have had small happy dogs.

OP: I think it would be unrealistic to expect that a rescue dog would be suitable for an apartment. There are dog day care facilities if your budget stretches to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Marcusm wrote: »
    “ There are dog day care facilities if your budget stretches to that.

These are unregulated and often involve your dog spending the day locked in a warehouse with lots of other dogs and little natural light.

I'm no animal lover but even i was shocked to discover how miserable the dogs sound (I work near one and walk past at lunchtime).

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

Not to be too harsh OP, but it would 100% selfish of you to get a dog for an apartment and leave it alone all day. It's not fair to the dog, and it's not fair on your neighbours.

The dog will be bored stupid, will start to chew things, will bark, have behavioural issues etc.

I'm sure people will come here saying it's fine, they do it and their dog is perfect etc - but they are just trying to convince themselves it's ok.

bluelamp wrote: »
    Not to be too harsh OP, but it would 100% selfish of you to get a dog for an apartment and leave it alone all day. It's not fair to the dog, and it's not fair on your neighbours.

The dog will be bored stupid, will start to chew things, will bark, have behavioural issues etc.

I'm sure people will come here saying it's fine, they do it and their dog is perfect etc - but they are just trying to convince themselves it's ok.

Absolutely not being harsh, the opinions are what I came here for :) it’s really good to hear the views on it. Either way I have decided to hold off and will revisit the whole thing once I at least have a house with a secure back garden. Last thing I would ever want is to be unfair to a dog

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Incorrect.
    In many apartments pets including dogs are allowed as long as they do not cause a disturbance to residents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

pwurple wrote: »
    I don't think you would pass the adoption tests in this situation tbh. We recently rehomed and part of the process was them checking how long the dog would be left alone.

What was the general advice on this? I wouldn't get a dog if I was in an apartment, but would love to have one or two if I had a house. It would still mean the dogs being alone for 9 hours or so a day, I would imagine, but they would have the use of a garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Achasanai wrote: »
    What was the general advice on this? I wouldn't get a dog if I was in an apartment, but would love to have one or two if I had a house. It would still mean the dogs being alone for 9 hours or so a day, I would imagine, but they would have the use of a garden.

When you say 'have use of the garden' would they have access to indoors as well?
    I have a greyhound which would be happy dozing for 9 hours on the sofa,but she would need a toilet break during that time.
    I wouldn't feel right taking a dog on and leaving it outside for that long.

zoe 3619 wrote: »
    When you say 'have use of the garden' would they have access to indoors as well?
    I have a greyhound which would be happy dozing for 9 hours on the sofa,but she would need a toilet break during that time.
    I wouldn't feel right taking a dog on and leaving it outside for that long.

Oh so for my dream future owning a home, would 9 hours be ok if the dog could go outside and come inside as it wants? Like a doggie door? Ideally I would have 2 so they would also have company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Idonotknow wrote: »
    Absolutely not being harsh, the opinions are what I came here for :) it’s really good to hear the views on it. Either way I have decided to hold off and will revisit the whole thing once I at least have a house with a secure back garden. Last thing I would ever want is to be unfair to a dog

until you own a home you can live in forever I wouldn't recommend getting a dog, this forum is full of threads about people being kicked out of houses, refused by landlords etc... for having a dog while renting, its extra stress nobody needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Oh so for my dream future owning a home, would 9 hours be ok if the dog could go outside and come inside as it wants? Like a doggie door? Ideally I would have 2 so they would also have company.

In theory I would think so but you'd want middle age lazy dogs rather than puppies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

These are unregulated and often involve your dog spending the day locked in a warehouse with lots of other dogs and little natural light.

I'm no animal lover but even i was shocked to discover how miserable the dogs sound (I work near one and walk past at lunchtime).

Then you should report them; there are equally substandard childcare facilities. A decent owner would check the facility prior to using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭fungie

We've a mini dachshund in the apartment but don't leave him alone for along time usually. We use a mix of family and doggy day care. It can be done but is a lot of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

We've two dogs, one very old and one young and energetic.
    My Dad goes to them every day pretty much to walk them and let them out to pee etc while we are working, without that I dont think it would be fair on the younger one anyway, the older guy can no longer get around without help so is happy to sleep all day.
    I'd never keep a dog in an apartment.
    We've a nice garden and I'll play with the younger dog when I get home, then take her for a good walk after dinner.
    If you cant give them the time and attention they need, dont have them.
    I should add that I live in a rural area with lakes and woods a 2 minute walk away so its easy for me to bring our younger dog out for proper stimulating exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,797 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I personally think 9 hours is a really horrendously long time to leave a dog on its own, especially if it is a pup. From a security point of view I am not sure a doggie door would be a go for me. We have a camera in house to keep an eye, all he does is sleep because we walk the legs of him (rain or shine).

I have a dog in a small house with a front and back garden, he is now 1 and a 1/2, he really isnt a lot of bother but you have to plan your life around their needs. The longest our fella is left is 6 hours, I work flexi and my partner does shift work so it works out well. I personally wouldnt ever consider getting a dog if I lived in apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭LolaJJ

Most animal rescues won't give out dogs to people unless they can prove they will not leave them for more than 4 hours.

It's emotionally damaging for most mammals to be socially isolated for long periods of time. Also, in general apartments are not suitable for dogs, they need their own green area...

Please don't get a dog OP.

LolaJJ wrote: »
    Most animal rescues won't give out dogs to people unless they can prove they will not leave them for more than 4 hours.

It's emotionally damaging for most mammals to be socially isolated for long periods of time. Also, in general apartments are not suitable for dogs, they need their own green area...

Please don't get a dog OP.

According to the ispca they are ok with more than 4 hours if there are 2 dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭henryforde80

OP I think a lot of dogs are left at home for long periods of time with both parents working and children in school etc. Dogs just need to get into a routine.

I would definitely look at two small dogs for the apartment to keep each other company. It really depends on the nature of the dog if they cant be left at home for long periods on their own.

Also you have to realize the weekends and how much time they take up.

I have two Bichons and there 100 per cent fine with the hour they have with me in the morning and the six hours when I'm home in the evening after work and been with them most of the time the weekends.

Only thing is as other people mentioned what if you have to move and the new place no longer accept pets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Marcusm wrote: »
    Then you should report them; there are equally substandard childcare facilities. A decent owner would check the facility prior to using it.

Who to?

Childcare centres are regulated. Doggie daycares aren't.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement