Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for apartment dogs

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭karenalot

I’m involved in rescue and we have zero issues rehoming pets to apartment owners. As long as dogs are walked regularly and stimulated it’s perfectly ok. It’s not a must for a garden and plenty of apt owners with pets all over Europe manage absolutely fine.

However as others have pointed out we are wary of renters of apts, while your current landlord might have no issues with pets it’s unfortunately nearly always a given that the next landlord will say no. Most rescues in Ireland are inundated with renters rehoming their pets because of this and some rescues have had to stop rehoming to people unless you own the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Idonotknow

karenalot wrote: »
    I’m involved in rescue and we have zero issues rehoming pets to apartment owners. As long as dogs are walked regularly and stimulated it’s perfectly ok. It’s not a must for a garden and plenty of apt owners with pets all over Europe manage absolutely fine.

However as others have pointed out we are wary of renters of apts, while your current landlord might have no issues with pets it’s unfortunately nearly always a given that the next landlord will say no. Most rescues in Ireland are inundated with renters rehoming their pets because of this and some rescues have had to stop rehoming to people unless you own the property.

Just really want to say thanks for your input! It’s great to hear, and we have decided to wait until we own a house. We really want to provide the best possible home for dogs. I would love to be a stay at home dog mum but we both have to work :( would definitely want to get 2 so that they at a minimum have each other for company.

Any additional tips on how to get adoption ready are appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,797 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Idonotknow wrote: »
    Just really want to say thanks for your input! It’s great to hear, and we have decided to wait until we own a house. We really want to provide the best possible home for dogs. I would love to be a stay at home dog mum but we both have to work :( would definitely want to get 2 so that they at a minimum have each other for company.

Any additional tips on how to get adoption ready are appreciated.
    Would you consider using something like borrowmydoggy?
    That way you get a feel for owning a dog, without the stress!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

until you own a home you can live in forever I wouldn't recommend getting a dog, this forum is full of threads about people being kicked out of houses, refused by landlords etc... for having a dog while renting, its extra stress nobody needs.

Well, I have a dog and 3 cats and have moved I think 8 times because of bad rental s etc and never a problem on any score.. The alternative, being without critters, does not bear thinking about.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Graces7 wrote: »
    Well, I have a dog and 3 cats and have moved I think 8 times because of bad rental s etc and never a problem on any score.. The alternative, being without critters, does not bear thinking about.

With all due respect- the OP lives in an apartment- and is specifically asking about his/her current accommodation- and the fact that they are away from home for 9.5 hours every day at work- and looking for information on whether this is a good situation for a dog to be in..........

I seriously doubt you're in an apartment and are leaving your critters home alone during the day- as the OP is querying..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

OP I don't think it's a good idea getting a dog then leaving it alone bored all day. Maybe wait until you're unemployed or retired before getting a dog.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

I'd honestly rather live under a bridge than give up my two dogs to rent a place.
    Its hard to find a place that will accept them yes, Ireland is hugely anti dog in that regard, but if the choice is a ****tier house and my dogs over a nice place without them, thats no choice at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

With all due respect- the OP lives in an apartment- and is specifically asking about his/her current accommodation- and the fact that they are away from home for 9.5 hours every day at work- and looking for information on whether this is a good situation for a dog to be in..........

I seriously doubt you're in an apartment and are leaving your critters home alone during the day- as the OP is querying..........

??? Please see the actual post I was replying to?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    until you own a home you can live in forever I wouldn't recommend getting a dog, this forum is full of threads about people being kicked out of houses, refused by landlords etc... for having a dog while renting, its extra stress nobody needs.

Well, I have a dog and 3 cats and have moved I think 8 times because of bad rental s etc and never a problem on any score.. The alternative, being without critters, does not bear thinking about."

I was not replying to the OP.

??? Please see the actual post I was replying to?
    I was not replying to the OP.

The thread was started by the OP.
    If you want to debate the relative merits of keeping cats and dogs- other than as a relevant response to the OP- please take it to a more appropriate venue. If you want to hold a discussion with another poster- independent of the thread- please take it elsewhere. Thankyou.

Thread closed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement