Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6800 to 6770 a down grade???

Options
  • 22-08-2018 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭

I have a Felt F5 which I’ve upgraded to full 6800 and Fulcrum Quattro wheels, carbon bars blah blah and it’s currentky weighing in at 7.4kg with pedals, 2 cages, computer mount and GSC10 sensor so a reasonably lightweight bike.

I have the opportunity to buy a Felt Z3 with 6770 Di2, the bike is near mint (as is my own) and I’d probably fit my own wheels on it as they’re better/lighter/nicer.

Anyway I’m slightly put off by the fact that it’s 10spd and even though both are compacts and both have an 11/28 cassette, the thought of going back to an 10spd is holding me back.

I don’t think I could get the Z3 down to the same weight as my own as the frame and fork are slightly heavier but it’d be within 2-300g and it’d be a more comfortable bike (which is primarily why I was looking for a Z series felt) so is the jump to Di2 enough to compensate for the loss of 1 gear???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,329 ✭✭✭secman

Probably not a lot in it to be honest.. if you had the 10 speed Di and had a chance to trade it for the 11 speed non Di you would be equally wondering if it was worth it ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I'd say so, Di2 is great and it's one gear in the middle not either end, so I don't think it would make a huge difference. I would check though how easy it is to get spares for the older 10 speed Di2, some of the earlier di2 stuff isn't compatible with a whole lot else. I have the first generation Ultegra Di2, no issues at all with it, but if something does go I'm not looking forward to trying to replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

secman wrote: »
    Probably not a lot in it to be honest.. if you had the 10 speed Di and had a chance to trade it for the 11 speed non Di you would be equally wondering if it was worth it ??

I don know as I’ve never ridden a bike with Di2 and so have no experience of it. I’m perfectly happy with 6800, it’s slick and works very very well and I did consider buying the bike and transferring my 6800 into it and selling the Di2 groupset (my F5 isn’t Di2 compatible) but the frame has no guides or cable routing grommets to use with a mechanical groupset and Felt no longer sell or stock them so it’s not looking like a possibility.

I think I might just leave it. My heart isn’t in it and it might turn out more work than it’s worth. I don’t need Di2 as I don’t race and only cycle for leisure/fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dvntie

Here's a thought.
    You can change the di2 front and rear mechs to 6800 di2 and your lbs can reprogramm the shifters and you are then running 11 speed di2

dvntie wrote: »
    Here's a thought.
    You can change the di2 front and rear mechs to 6800 di2 and your lbs can reprogramm the shifters and you are then running 11 speed di2

ok, I didn't know you could do that. Is there a need to change the front mech as an 11spd chain is narrower and so can the derailleur not be adjusted to take that into account? In which case all that is needed is a RD??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dvntie

ok, I didn't know you could do that. Is there a need to change the front mech as an 11spd chain is narrower and so can the derailleur not be adjusted to take that into account? In which case all that is needed is a RD??

The 10 spd front mechs won't work with the 11 speed. You'll have to get both mechs I'm afraid. I've tried that before.

dvntie wrote: »
    The 10 spd front mechs won't work with the 11 speed. You'll have to get both mechs I'm afraid. I've tried that before.

Thanks but unfortunately due my procrastination the bike is now sold. Ah well....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

It no longer possible to mix 10 and 11 speed mechs due to software updates.

However 10 speed di2 mechs are selling on ebay for more than comparable 11 speed versions. They are becoming harder to find as there is no new stock available. A change may be cost neutral.

The software would still need to be updated but that's a quick job with the correct interface (SM-PCE1).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,329 ✭✭✭secman

As a result of joining this thread I am now sussing out cost of upgrading my 2017 trek emonda ultegra 6800 to Di2..... Damn ;)

Advertisement