Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just give me the brutal truth

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Just to reassure FTMs, I had two public health nurses and they were both really helpful, diligent and kind. Couldn't fault them. Came to see me for extra visits as I was feeling a bit blue, and they also had a drop-in clinic once a week which I could bring baby to for anything at all. There was also a practice midwife who attended all the checks in the house for the first few days, and she was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

lazygal wrote:
    The alternative is just not having them recording weight and ticking the boxes for developmental checks. If I had had any concerns perhaps they would have been helpful. But I can safely say none of the advice I got was good, and in some cases contradicted what bodies like the WHO current best advice is.

Ok thanks, I'm in a big suburb so I imagine there is an option to ask for someone else if there's a personality clash or I feel they're useless. Certainly with it being my first I wouldn't opt out, especially as there is no alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Cash_Q wrote: »
    Ok thanks, I'm in a big suburb so I imagine there is an option to ask for someone else if there's a personality clash or I feel they're useless. Certainly with it being my first I wouldn't opt out, especially as there is no alternative.

I've moved to a different area since I had my first so I'm hoping the clinic is better but I struggle to think of one benefit to going to the appointments and having the home visits. Especially second time around when I knew the advice was wrong. I'm glad others have more positive experiences.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

my experience was that childbirth is a doddle compared to pregnancy which was hellish.
    Our first PHN was hopeless but then we moved and had a brilliant PHN.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭firebird84

I met my new PHN last week (had baby on the 10th) and she's sooo much better than the last one so there's hope for the system yet!

• Advertisement
Advertisement