Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vuelta a España 2018 General thread

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I'm kind of annoyed Sam isn't in it,

and kind of surprised that Dan is.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭happytramp

I'm kind of annoyed Sam isn't in it,

and kind of surprised that Dan is.

I'd have loved Sam to race but he hasn't really raced since May so there must be something up with him injury/illness wise. Dan is supposed to be there as a stage hunter as his wife is due to have twins before the end of the Vuellta. His DS hinted that he may leave the race early if the babies arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

happytramp wrote: »
    I'd have loved Sam to race but he hasn't really raced since May so there must be something up with him injury/illness wise. Dan is supposed to be there as a stage hunter as his wife is due to have twins before the end of the Vuellta. His DS hinted that he may leave the race early if the babies arrive.

Dan Martin is there for the Worlds imo ...its the best way to get in to condition for the Worlds

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Porte confirmed to Trek

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/richie-porte-signs-for-trek-segafredo/

Wonder will he be paid as much as BMC .. 3 million a year and no Tour win !...doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Weepsie wrote: »
    Isn't Deignan's wife about to have a kid? That said, he's done 1 race since June so unlikely to have been picked.

What's the rational for teams leaving riders on the side like that ? Being WT they are obliged to enter certain races and is it because of this that there is a rule that they must have 30 or so riders on their books ? Which may be far more than needed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

I thought I read that Michal Kwiatkowski was leader, he deserved the chance?

Anyway looking forward to it😊
    retalivity wrote: »
    Weird sky team announced, no general gc guy, instead 3 support riders for 5 'main' guys. No deignan either

Michal Kwiatkowski, David de la Cruz, Tao Geoghegan Hart, Jonathan Castroviejo, Sergio Henao, Salvatore Puccio, Pavel Sivakov and Dylan van Baarl

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Nico looked OK in Norway last week. Especially with that nasty crosswind on one of the stages but missed out by making a mistake I've seen him make a few times and get stuck leading others out in a reduced bunch finish

I have just realised I am the A4 equivalent of Nico Roche

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Bugsy2000 wrote: »
    He mentioned on twitter that he just replicated all Mini Leagues from the cancelled TdF event.

He's obviously taking extra precautions with this event too. It's now 'Velogames Spain', no mention of La Vuelta.

What's the code for the Boards mini-league?

EDIT: Here's the code: 17734056

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

what's the code for the Boards velogames mini league? assuming there is one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

De Bhál wrote: »
    what's the code for the Boards velogames mini league? assuming there is one.

Look up one post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

Looking forward to this, my favourite tour

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

This seamed to have flew up on me out of nowhere, only feels like the other day the tour finished, even when this thread appeared I though it was starting next week

Eurosport don't seem to be going flag to line for it this year? Kirby and Smith were still calling races from studio up to yesterday too so likely not sending a team unless Hatch and Kelly are there.

Eurosport don't seem to be going flag to line for it this year? Kirby and Smith were still calling races from studio up to yesterday too so likely not sending a team unless Hatch and Kelly are there.

I read somewhere (I think on Cyclingnews forum) that Eurosport will only have 2-3 hours of live coverage each day and it's out of their control.

Dont forget theres 1 broadcaster that all the others take their feeds off so it depends on theor schedule

I read somewhere (I think on Cyclingnews forum) that Eurosport will only have 2-3 hours of live coverage each day and it's out of their control.
    neris wrote: »
    Dont forget theres 1 broadcaster that all the others take their feeds off so it depends on theor schedule

Ah that makes sense they do that for many of the Spanish races, which is a good thing as if left to Eurosport they'd cut to the race 50km or whatever to go at 2pm and straight into it whereas here they'll be fed a small package from the broadcaster at the start each day showing the break going etc.

At least itv have gotten rid of the watch crowd as sponsor for their highlights

Back when the Giro was a week or so after the Vuelta and you had racing on the islands.

30 years ago, I didn't know what a Vuelta or Giro was I only knew a Tour and the man in his shed down the road would fix my breaks for 50p

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

that was pretty much always the case with La Vuelta. Even in Spain the coverage is just the last couple of hours. I figured it was because of the timing of the race, running into the autumn TV schedules, etc.

There's a cycling podcast KM0 out this morning on Sean Kelly's vuelta win if anyone wants something to listen to

neris wrote: »
    There's a cycling podcast KM0 out this morning on Sean Kelly's vuelta win if anyone wants something to listen to

The other one there about the history of the Vuelta is worth a listen too.

The Cycling Podcast said in yesterday's podcast that they were going to do an episode focused on Aqua Blue disaster also

Listening to the Kelly one now. Really interesting hearing him talk. Ffffff when he speaks about the TT ouch

Loved the bit about the trophy and the 1 person at the rouler classic noticing the trophy wasn't the trophy. There's always 1 nerd

You wonder why Eurosport don't leverage him more for that kind of stuff on air during lulls in action? Though Kirby is not the one care to ask that kind of stuff. That said I get the impression the pair are having the craic at this, Kelly seems to be enjoying himself more commentating here than he has at the Giro or Tour.

Bouhanni handed a 30 second penalty for supposedly punching the team car during the race after a row with his DS. I'm shocked he'd behave in such a way :rolleyes:

Molard also got a 20 second one for taking a feed inside 20km to go but still holds on to red with a now 41 second lead.

• Advertisement

Advertisement