Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fat Lad Back On The Bike

Options
  • 22-08-2018 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

This is a very specific "can anyone recommend a bike" thread

Have let living a hectic life get the better of me and it is time to get a grip on things, especially an expanding waist line of 40inches :eek: Yes, 40 inches.

Many years ago I used to cycle / race and it's time to return to something I really enjoyed doing, with the hope of getting the 40 inches down to something less life threatening.

I still have the shoes and socks but that's about it. I'm now in the market for a new road bike that will give me a comfortable ride, specifically as there's a big belly in the way so things will get a bit uncomfortable.

Any recommendations on a road bike that will provide a comfortable ride for a big lad ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You have the waistline of the average adult American male.

If you're not too tall your weight should be well under the 120kg or so where different wheel choices are advised, so get whatever floats your boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

Visit a few bike shops and ask to try a few bikes out first and see how they feel before you buy, maybe a hybrid to start you off as a bit of comfort for the first while might be better than jumping straight on a roadbike.
    And fair play for taking the hardest step which is deciding you need to do this, from here things will only get better and remember winter is coming so get some wet gear :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

dfbemt wrote: »
    Any recommendations on a road bike that will provide a comfortable ride for a big lad ?

A bike that can take slightly wider tyres at lower pressure (e.g. 28mm) will provide much more comfort and lower gears will make the hills more doable. If you're carrying a few pounds, disc brakes are also worth considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭circler

Call into your LBS and have a chat, they'll steer you in the right direction.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,416 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

circler wrote: »
    Call into your LBS and have a chat, they'll steer you in the right direction.

Then check online to find the best deal!

:pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,416 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OP, would you consider using the bike for commuting? That's what I did to offload 35kg or so 10 years back (some of it's back on mind). Your employer may offer the bike to work scheme (check out our megathread linked in the Charter and FAQs if you want to know more)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

need to set out your budget.

By way of illustration:

for €6k

https://www.rosebikes.com/rose-team-gf-six-disc-dura-ace-di2-2661623

This for 3k:

https://www.rosebikes.com/rose-team-gf-four-disc-ultegra-di2-2660827

This for 1k:

https://www.rosebikes.com/rose-pro-sl-105-bike-now-821326

Assuming you want comfort more than having ambitions to race? TBH if you have raced in teh past you are probably the one best equipped to decide for yourself. I don't think your weight/size is a relevant consideration unless you are very heavy ofr a 40" waist. Though I did manage to snap a saddle on a very cheap halfords hybrid that was teh first bike i bought after decades of not cycling. I was around 100kg but the problem was the quality of teh saddle that came on a €150 bike more than my weight.

If you have teh budget hydraullic disc brakes are great, I love Di2 gearing. Avoid cable disc brakes, personally i would use cable rim ahead of cable disc.

Or try the equivalent canyon models.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭halvis

What about something from the newish 'gravel bike' genre.

These often offer an endurance road type geometry and offer excellent tyre clearance. Wider tyres don't need to be slow and heavy, there are many types that are light and offer low rolling resistance.

Gravel bikes often have a longer wheel base as well which will mean a more stable ride. Also, they most commonly sport disc brakes, this means that it would be easier to switch to a narrower, lighter and faster wheelset if need be at a later stage.

So I would recommend something from Whyte - https://www.whyte.bike/road/ A Gisburn or Friston perhaps, or even the Wessex if you think you can manage with the narrow tyres.

They are really nice bikes. If you are just comparing spec sheets between Whyte and another brand, they appear a little more expensive. However, when you actually ride one, it's easy to feel what you are paying for. They feel a little more snappy, higher quality and just work (for me anyway) as far as the geo is concernced.

Another alternative could be a steel audax type bike. Again, comfortable with probably 28mm tyres on 700c wheels with clearance for mudguards. All very sensible, but could easily be made a bit racier should the need arise.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

I'd avoid hybrids. A hybrid will leave you cold if you're used to the speeds you used to get out of a road bike back in the day. Even the most exotic carbon frame is pretty much bullet proof these days regardless of weight, but wheels are where you need to be careful. You need a high spoke count (32+) and wide tyres. The reason for the spokes is obvious, but bigger tyres can be run at lower pressures and still avoid pinch flats. Running 23mm tyres @ 120psi is no fun. I'd recommend looking at gravel/CX bikes. They're designed for wider tyres, and you sit a bit more upright so you're not kneeing yourself in the belly all the time.

Advertisement