Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting case of employee let go after one month.

Options
  • 22-08-2018 7:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭

This is quite surprising as typically under a year employees in Ireland have little to no protections. Perhaps she should have been given a warning to get into line with the store owners expectations, but the mantra in Ireland has always been in the first year you can be let go with no reason given, seems this judge thinks differently.

http://jrnl.ie/4192833f

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

She was a manager and on 24k, absolutely terrible salary, no wonder she wasn't pushy..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

There was a similar ruling about 10 years ago with a hotel sub manager let go after a couple of weeks. It seems to be that they were not given sufficient time to show they could manage nor given the opportunity to improve. Good chance the employer will appeal this. Also, all the WRC can do is make an award, the employee will have to go to court to get it enforced if the employer disputes the award.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭rd1izb7lvpuksx

It could have something to do with using CCTV for monitoring and performance management, which is not allowable in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It could have something to do with using CCTV for monitoring and performance management, which is not allowable in Ireland.

No, the judge talked about “natural justice”, he seemed to take against the employer because she wasn’t given any chances to improve, prior to this in Ireland employees could easily be let go before one year as full employment protections hadn’t started.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

I know the company probably will appeal this but its dodgy to award this after she wasn’t long in the job.
    What’s stopping future employees taking a job and just not bothering to do a job as they should , knowing they can still take an unfair dismissal case under the year.
    I don’t think cctv was the problem here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

harr wrote: »
    I know the company probably will appeal this but its dodgy to award this after she wasn’t long in the job.
    What’s stopping future employees taking a job and just not bothering to do a job as they should , knowing they can still take an unfair dismissal case under the year.

So do people normally give trying once they're a year in the job now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭thomas 123

harr wrote: »

Documented coaching - its standard practice in most businesses.

Ie your bad at your job, you have a few recorded sit downs in the year, if you dont improve or meet reasonable targets your let go.

Advertisement