Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Race Around Ireland 2018.

Options
  • 22-08-2018 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭

This kicks off on Sunday from Trim, Co.Meath. Approx 2200 km in what is described as one of the toughest endurance races in the world. Is there anyone on here getting involved this year?

I'll be helping out and driving a support car for one of the entrants. Looking forward to it now the nearer it gets.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I'm riding the Ultra.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Hager

Rode it last year on a team. Will be support crew for a solo rider this time. Looking forward to a week of no sleep. Great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

For anyone not familiar with the event, the routes for both races are here: http://racearoundireland.com/route

I searched the site for info on the tracking service, but I guess that won't be available until closer to the start time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

doozerie wrote: »
    For anyone not familiar with the event, the routes for both races are here: http://racearoundireland.com/route
    what's the significance of the blue sections on the maps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

what's the significance of the blue sections on the maps?

AFAIK, they are sections prohibited for event campervans due to steepness, narrowness etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

AFAIK, they are sections prohibited for event campervans due to steepness, narrowness etc.

That'd fit. The first such section is Jenkinstown/Long Woman's Grave outside Dundalk from memory, and that's the first blue section on the map.

Looks like it's passing very close to us, if there is live tracking I could take the wee one out to see some of them passing by and give them a cheer. If her reaction to seeing the Rás is anything to go by it'll be a mighty cheer indeed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Good luck to NamelessPhil and everyone else racing this year. Feels very odd to be sitting it out.

She'll get a thumbs up and a thanks from me!

As long as you're not on the side of Long Woman's Hill in which case my response mightn't be printable.

There should be live tracking on the website. I'm rider X06.

daragh_ wrote: »
    Good luck to NamelessPhil and everyone else racing this year. Feels very odd to be sitting it out.

Enjoy the extra sleep!

• Advertisement

She'll get a thumbs up and a thanks from me!

As long as you're not on the side of Long Woman's Hill in which case my response mightn't be printable.

There should be live tracking on the website. I'm rider X06.

:D Best of luck with it and a huge chapeau !!!!!

Getting ready for the off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Best of luck.

I'll be dot watching!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭nilhg

A bit late but best of luck NP.

https://gps.blackblox.si/race/41
    Tracking link for anyone interested

This Dot watching is exciting stuff - much more fun than racing it.

The leading 4-man teams are still close together. Trim CC are first on the road and have a gap on Team Indreni. Hard to tell how that plays out in real terms - but they are both going well and seem to be maintaining a similar pace. That said it can all go wrong very quickly - one mistake can put you off course and mean the difference of 15 - 20 minutes so the crews will be need to be on the ball.

In the solo race Joe Barr is putting in a really strong ride - nearly at Sligo! With Stefan Schrenk coming up in second.

In the Ultra Race our own NamelessPhil is just about to turn south and hopefully get some respite from the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

link to follow the estimated times for cyclists to arrive in each area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭davef1000

How on earth is Edward Dillon able to manage an average of 47km/h after 48 hours? Is there something I'm not aware of here?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

How are the 4 person teams faster than the 8 person teams?
    Also door watching rocks. I have a friend in one of the 4 person teams, he's done loads of this kind of thing now, I'm really into the dot watching!
    I'd never in a million years be able do it myself.
    Big fair play to the solo people. I do not know how they do it.
    I hope NamelessPhil has a tailwind now!

davef1000 wrote: »
    How on earth is Edward Dillon able to manage an average of 47km/h after 48 hours? Is there something I'm not aware of here?

He had to pull out yesterday as he got sick. Elriker Ingl Johannsson had to pull out too and his average is showing a similar figure. I guess the tracking website isn't working properly by showing them in the active riders list.

nee wrote: »
    I hope NamelessPhil has a tailwind now!

From the wind map on www.met.ie it looks like she'll continue to have a headwind all the way to Clifden :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭davef1000

He had to pull out yesterday as he got sick. Elriker Ingl Johannsson had to pull out too and his average is showing a similar figure. I guess the tracking website isn't working properly by showing them in the active riders list.

Ah, Ok, thanks. I know some of these guys are supermen but 2000km in 48 hours seemed too good to be true! Sad to hear they've had to pull out though. It's a serious challenge.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Oh no :( how does she do it.
    Fingers crossed for a wind change in the next hour *crosses fingers*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

The wind will go westerly after the rain (headwind and rain!) passes through. But she won't see the benefit of it until the turn at Clifden.

I was very impressed to see her climb the Mamore Gap faster than I was able to ride on the flat canal towpath last saturday!...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,367 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I have a pal on Team Indreni.

About 2 or 3km between them and Breffni behind them :eek:

Think I'm going to become an avid dot-watcher for the next few hours....

And a HUGE hats off to all those solo guys (and gal, particularly, don't care how sexist that is!) - do not know how ye do it!

The guys on Team Indreni are flying - chasing hard from the off but Trim aren't slowing up. Nail biting stuff. I'm having flashbacks.

C'mon NamelessPhil!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Was on four person team last year... very close race this year, dot watching gives a whole new perspective.. exciting stuff but Trim look unstoppable.

daragh_ wrote: »
    C'mon NamelessPhil!!!

Roughly 21 hours (or maybe closer to 20.5 hours) left to cover 300km. She has done that and more in the past but the weather conditions are rubbish (headwind and rain) and it has been a tough ride so far so it won't be easy.

Roughly 21 hours (or maybe closer to 20.5 hours) left to cover 300km. She has done that and more in the past but the weather conditions are rubbish (headwind and rain) and it has been a tough ride so far so it won't be easy.

She's made of stern stuff.

Charlie69 wrote: »
    Was on four person team last year... very close race this year, dot watching gives a whole new perspective.. exciting stuff but Trim look unstoppable.

Agreed. Hard to cross a gap like that. Unless they make a mistake. Lots of tricky bits on the route still to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

If you go to the RAI website it has links to the teams Facebook pages. Watching the trimCC videos was entertaining. One of the lads looked like he was having a ball :D

Advertisement