Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Race Around Ireland 2018.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

davef1000 wrote: »
    How on earth is Edward Dillon able to manage an average of 47km/h after 48 hours? Is there something I'm not aware of here?

he is out .

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Trim now have a 22km lead while the 2nd to 3rd place only have 4km and 3rd to 4th only have 3km between them.. how can looking at dots on a screen be so entertaining :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Trim now have a 22km lead while the 2nd to 3rd place only have 4km and 3rd to 4th only have 3km between them.. how can looking at dots on a screen be so entertaining :)

That's very similar to where we last year in the race for second place. Nothing was certain until the end which kept the pace right up. They will all be feeling the pressure tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

And the Czech guy is breathing down Barr’s neck - decisions about sleep will be interesting.

daragh_ wrote:
    That's very similar to where we last year in the race for second place. Nothing was certain until the end which kept the pace right up. They will all be feeling the pressure tonight.

Yeah its still all to play for. 400km left at the current avg of 30 has them home at 10:15 in the morning hopefully its stays close throughout the night.

• Advertisement

Yeah its still all to play for. 400km left at the current avg of 30 has them home at 10:15 in the morning hopefully its stays close throughout the night.

Few bumps to get over on the way. Some of the hardest hills in the whole thing as you know ;-)

Looks like NamelessPhil might finally get a Tailwind. Not far from Galway and the push for home.

daragh_ wrote:
    Few bumps to get over on the way. Some of the hardest hills in the whole thing as you know ;-)

daragh_ wrote:
    Looks like NamelessPhil might finally get a Tailwind. Not far from Galway and the push for home.

Tracking her using both windty and the dots and shes had a tail wind the last 40 mins. Avg 26-29kph at the moment :)

Looks like one lads been home and hosed in the short course for some time today, he was there around 4pm last I checked.

I don't know whether to say chapeau or call them lunatics

Serious question can you actually enjoy the scenery on something like this? Ok maybe not if it's pissing rain and horrible but it is all about the focus on keeping going and willing yourself on planning stops and thinking of feeds and drinks or can you take in the view along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,367 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Talk about a drag race!

Nearly over for the lead 4s, and still the same.... although the gap between Team Indreni and Breffni looks like it's closing......

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Talk about a drag race!

Nearly over for the lead 4s, and still the same.... although the gap between Team Indreni and Breffni looks like it's closing......

Breffni briefly took the lead over Indreni, but has since swung again

• Advertisement

Gallant_JJ wrote: »
    Breffni briefly took the lead over Indreni, but has since swung again

:eek:

Great progress by NamelessPhil overnight. On the home stretch.

Trim are just about to crest the gap 11km ahead indreni and 13km ahead of breffini. All downhill from there so its in the bag for them.

Breffni have snuck ahead again.....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

NamelessPhil will be finished before lunch by the looks of things.

She's looking strong on the road by all accounts. Nearly there.

In the 4 Man Trim have it in the bag. Just through Kilcock so TT effort through Summerhill and the finish on their home roads. Great show.

Indreni look set to take second over Breffni. Delighted for them.

Joe Barr is nearly at Mizen with about a 30k gap. That's not much in this kind of race - will be an intense day for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

NamelessPhil finished in 69:01(TBC) - great result!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

Superb stuff, well done NP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

She seems to have increased her average a little since yesterday.

A real race between Barr and Bozak now, Barr is stopped in Goleen and Bozak is within 4km or so.

Great race for 5th at moment with 3 riders, including Bill Finnane, within 10km of each other.

I'll try and get out to see him in Knockmealdowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭py

ford2600 wrote: »
    She seems to have increased her average a little since yesterday.

Favourable wind conditions once she turned east would've helped a lot. Fair play NP on a fantastic ride.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

ford2600 wrote: »
    A real race between Barr and Bozak now, Barr is stopped in Goleen and Bozak is within 4km or so.

Bozak is still heading west. There's more like 28km between them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Bozak is still heading west. There's more like 28km between them.

It was 4km when I checked, although there was something funny with tracker which was showing 1/2 swapping between them.

I suspect the tracking website was getting confused by the common out-and-back section between Toormore and Goleen - Joe would have been heading East and Bozak West on the same piece of road. The "distance to finish" is probably just calculated from that particular point back to Trim without considering which direction the rider is headed which could be why Bozak appear near / ahead of Barr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

The tracker is also in the follow car and not on the rider. The car is free to leave the rider during the daytime hours. Sometimes it can give false hope or dread to whoever is watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Barr ahead by about 35kms now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I think my result might be 68+1. ( TBC). If so then I just missed finishing within the men's time by 1 minute. The women's max time is 74 hours.

Whatever the result, there's now a woman's record for the Ultra to be broken. Go and do it!

I think my result might be 68+1. ( TBC). If so then I just missed finishing within the men's time by 1 minute. The women's max time is 74 hours.

Whatever the result, there's now a woman's record for the Ultra to be broken. Go and do it!

Absolutely fantastic result, NP but, errrr, - shouldn't you be asleep?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Well done NP. Seriously good work...

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

Does the averages speed given include stops or is it just average moving speed?

• Advertisement

TGD wrote: »
    Does the averages speed given include stops or is it just average moving speed?

It includes all stops - its the total distance covered to date, divided by the time elapsed since leaving Trim last Sunday

Advertisement