Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Race Around Ireland 2018.

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭davef1000

I think my result might be 68+1. ( TBC). If so then I just missed finishing within the men's time by 1 minute. The women's max time is 74 hours.

Whatever the result, there's now a woman's record for the Ultra to be broken. Go and do it!

Well done, NamelessPhil, and everyone else who had the cajones to take this on! I'm in awe of all of you!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭nilhg

I think my result might be 68+1. ( TBC). If so then I just missed finishing within the men's time by 1 minute. The women's max time is 74 hours.

Whatever the result, there's now a woman's record for the Ultra to be broken. Go and do it!

Legend, well done NP, I'm sure you have a few more records in your sights

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

It includes all stops - its the total distance covered to date, divided by the time elapsed since leaving Trim last Sunday

For the handful of riders that I checked as they started on Sunday, their "time on track" on the tracking website was more than 1 hour out (it overestimated something like 1h15m or so in the case of NamelessPhil). I'm assuming it started recording from the point that the tracker was installed in the support car, rather than from the point the rider started.

So that'll obviously throw out the average speed a little too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Bozak and Barr seem to be holding the same distance apart now for much of the day (around 30km).

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

doozerie wrote: »
    For the handful of riders that I checked as they started on Sunday, their "time on track" on the tracking website was more than 1 hour out (it overestimated something like 1h15m or so in the case of NamelessPhil). I'm assuming it started recording from the point that the tracker was installed in the support car, rather than from the point the rider started.

So that'll obviously throw out the average speed a little too.

Worth rembering that the tracker is in the vehicle and not on the rider. I learned that from looking out my window, which they pass, and the computer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Bozak and Barr seem to be holding the same distance apart now for much of the day (around 30km).

I had a very quick chat with Barr's support crew yesterday evening on Patrick's Hill. Bozak spent yesterday trying to crack Barr and looks like the games are continuing today. Barr (and I'd imagine Bozak) is on around 1 hours sleep / day so a rider within 30km can overtake you while you are sleeping.

Looks like a pretty decent battle for 5-7th places too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

Mighty result, well done

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Donncha Cuttriss is dnf. That's the first time he's not finished I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Joe Barr 32 km ahead with 180 to go and windyty is showing he has a tail wind all the was home. Wont be caught at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Joe Barr 32 km ahead with 180 to go and windyty is showing he has a tail wind all the was home. Wont be caught at this stage.

About to take about 5hrs off his own time of 108hrs in 2009, when he was 50.

He should set sometime in 2027 when he is another 9 years older!

The level these lads are at is something else; Bill Finnane by any metric is a hardy man, strong dogged and stubborn and well able to ride a bike. He's about a days riding behind Barr.

Strasser when he set record was finished by 2hrs at this stage. Complete freak of nature

• Advertisement

ford2600 wrote: »
    .. Bill Finnane by any metric is a hardy man, strong dogged and stubborn and well able to ride a bike. He's about a days riding behind Barr.....
    I was just thinking that myself earlier. It just shows the level Barr is at.

Nathan Sandman is now doing 125kph, way off route near portlaoise. Looks like a DNF that didn’t turn off the tracker.

Joe Barr will probably cross The Sally Gap within the next hour or so.

Joe Barr will probably cross The Sally Gap within the next hour or so.

Cuttris is waiting in Laragh, according to tracker,I'd imagine to give riders a shout.

Top man

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭PatM65

I met Swiss rider Migg Scherrer while he was stopped in Clonmel today.

A really nice guy. He said he'd had three 40 minute sleeps since Sunday topped up with a few power naps of 13 minutes or so when he felt he might fall asleep!

Asked why he put himself through such torture and he laughed and said he'd asked himself the same question a few times over the last few days. Ultimately he said he did it for the buzz of the last 30 minutes of the race!!! Basically the pain of the previous days was worth it.

There was a good turnout in Clonmel and Carrick on Suir this evening for the Tipp Tandem duo of Sean Hahessy and Peter Ryan.

ford2600 wrote: »
    Cuttris is waiting in Laragh, according to tracker,I'd imagine to give riders a shout.

Top man

Scratch that he's in a pub in Cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

What kind of time gap was there between the riders when the were let off at the start?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Joe with only 80km left amd 900 meters of climbing. Its in the bag at this stage. How the body can go with only three hours of sleep is beyond me!

Joe Barr across the line. Incredible stuff. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

Why did they name the shorter route 'ultra' ?

(Shorter not short of course!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭emtroche

We had originally called it the 'Race Around Ireland 1100' but we found that to be a bit confusing for people. So we chose to give it a completely different name. It's still an ultra distance event so that's where the name came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

@emtroche - Well done on another cracker

Just saw a support car for someone driving down off the embankment to Tallaght and making a fast u-turn. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭devonp

any1 got an ETA for any competitors arriving near Ardclough/the blue door this evening/tonight ?

devonp wrote: »
    any1 got an ETA for any competitors arriving near Ardclough/the blue door this evening/tonight ?

You can see em all ‘live’ here https://gps.blackblox.si/race/41

My hero Bill Finnane just 30kms to go. Go Bill go! :)

Advertisement